• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Window fixit install in So Cal???

Hello guys,

does anyone know where I can get my dali window fixit things installed? I called Acura of Pasadena, but they wany $225 (labor) for each door. I think that is too much...Is there another place I can get them installed? Does NSX modified do it and how much? If anyone else have done it, and wants to show me how, I will pay them as well. I tried and have all the manuals, but have problems pulling out the door panel.

If you're not comfortable taking the panels off, then don't try to go much further. Dealing with the panels is easier than dealing with the the mechanism. (IMHO).

I just tore my doors apart last weekend to do this fix on my '92. However, when I got in there, I found out that the previous owner had replaced both regulators! Schwing!

Anyways, I have two extra thingies I'll mail down to ya, I'd just like my $15.50 back for 'em. No shipping...

Bummer you don't live in NorCal...

--Ed

I've replaced at least three or four of the window "thingies." Taking the door panel off is easy and the method I used took no more than a couple minutes to replace. Having two more people with you will make the job very easy and fast.

I brought the window up so you can see the original "thingie" through the door hole. With Person #1 holding the window still, I cracked the white plastic "thingie" and broke it apart grabbing both wires holding them taught by the nubs at each end. Person #2 holds the wires taught while I push out the cracked "thingie" out and install the new Dali "thingie." Person #2 places the nub of the upper wire in the Dali "thingie." Now, Person #1 doesn't have to hold the window anymore since the weight of it is already keeping the tension on the upper wire already installed in the Dali "thingie." Now, Person #2 grabs the nub on the bottom wire with needle nose pliers. I then take a Dremel tool to smooth the egde of the path on the "thingie" that the nub will slide over. With Person #2 holding the nub of the bottom wire with needlenose pliers, I take a hammer and using the handle, place it under the needlenose pliers. I pull upward until the nub is ready to slide in while Person #1 uses a flat screwdriver to push the nub inside the "thingie." It pops in and it's all done. Put the door back together and you're all done. Took all of about 10 minutes for the complete job.

Next time I do this, I'll take detailed photos and post them to a website.

Vytas

Originally posted by Vytas:
I've replaced at least three or four of the window "thingies." Taking the door panel off is easy and the method I used took no more than a couple minutes to replace. Having two more people with you will make the job very easy and fast.

Thanks for all your help guys. It took me about an hour and still had no luck with the door panel. I did not want to break anything. Well I got off the phone with Sierra Acura in Alhambra and it looks like they are going to install it for $150 each side. that is a little better I guess. But if it took you guys only an hour or two to do it, i would love to been able to do it and save some money in the process. maybe ill just stick to the oil changes...haha.

Vytas--

Those are great tips & a great procedure for doing this...not only would it be good to see that in a website/to-do, but that should be escalated into the FAQ, too.

How do we do that???

--Ed

I am also looking into getting the windows fix, and currently looking at alternatives of having someone doing it for me, and myself ripping the door apart.

Khuezee, maybe we can get a group deal through one of the vendors
smile.gif
email me and let me know when you're looking to get it done. [email protected], I want it done asap cause my driver side is making popping sounds and i am afraid to roll the window currently.

Khuezee,

Couldn't help to hear that you mentioned Alhambra. I work around here. If you live around these parts, you're closer than I thought. I'd still love to see your car!
Do you have e-mail by the way?

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 05 September 2002).]

Originally posted by Joel:
Khuezee,

Couldn't help to hear that you mentioned Alhambra. I work around here. If you live around these parts, you're closer than I thought. I'd still love to see your car!
Do you have e-mail by the way?

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 05 September 2002).]

Joel,

I work right off of colorado blvd in old town pasadena. hit me up with an email if you ever want to see the car. i dont drive it to work much, but if you email me a day in advance, ill bring it and you can check it out and drive it at lunch.

khue
[email protected]

I thought that the Window Thingies were easy to install after the great instruction found on NSX prime. The dealer wanted 150.00 for each side. I even put mine in without using the special pliers.

I read through the instructions from dali, even with pictures, it didn't sound like something i want to do alone (not counting my mechanical disabilities). If I can have someone that has done it to help out, I would feel more comfortable in attempting it.

The door panels are a pain the first time you take them off. The panel behind the door handle is hard the first time you try it. Once you get that off it is just a matter of unscrewing everything. A tip that someone else helped me with was how to get the door panel itself off. The directions are not very good. The top of the door panel comes off at a 90 degree angle to the door. It fits in the chrome track at the top. Once you get it out of the track it is easy to finish the job.

Back