• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Window regulator rebuild - BETTER than new

After my regulator died on me, I installed all the Hugabuga parts, including the metal axle collar. However, my cable got really chewed up in the process and I had no success in straightening them out. I shipped the cable to Orlando Rigging Supply in Florida, where they duplicated it and shipped it back to me for under $50. After a little dremeling, the pressed-steel cable terminations fit just like the original.

However, these cables weren't quite as smooth as the stock cables, and were hanging up badly on the two 90deg bends. The Hugabuga pulley at the bottom wasn't enough, so I had to replace the two top guides with pulleys too. I dremeled away all obstructing plastic on the guides, and I used a sandwich of different-sized washers to create makeshift pulleys.

Here's what you need for each pulley:

-3/16" x 3/4" screw
-washer 1- 3/16" x 1-1/4" x 0.043"
-washer 2- 3/16" x 1" x 0.043"
-washer 3- 3/16" x 1" x 0.043"
-washer 4- 3/16" x 1-1/4" x 0.043"
-3/16" nut
-structure
-3/16" nut
-threadlock

Tighten the two nuts around the structure so that the washers remain free-floating and free-rotating.

IMG_5361.jpg

IMG_5362.jpg

IMG_5363.jpg

IMG_5364.jpg

IMG_5365.jpg

IMG_5366.jpg

On the last picture, the window wouldn't go up on the way with the top pulley in the location indicated because the pulley was in the way of the slider. I drilled a new hole and moved it to the location marked in red and it works perfectly now.

This fix was necessary for me, but even if you have the stock cable, the two 90deg bends are still a big source of friction!

Last edited:
Much more quickly now. Although it makes a slightly gritty sound due to the roughness of the cables.

Since I couldn't edit the original post, I have to say DON'T DO THIS. Cutting away material from that plastic piece is a TERRIBLE IDEA. That thing bent and went to hell. I caved in and bought a brand new regulator, put in hugo's kit, greased it up properly with Honda urea grease, and it works like butter now.

Back