• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Window regulators upgrade

Here are my final conclusions:

the regulator is the one responsible for slow windows, not the tracks or died grease

To increase speed I found 3 solutions

1- release some cable spring tension, this will reduce drag, increase speed but will add some lag in movement
2- repair the axle with a 12mm sleeve as it is most probably already damaged
3- replace the 180º plastic part with a pulley to reduce cable drag.

The combination of these 3 solutions is the ultimate UPGRADE I found for the NSX windows!

What is the 180 degree plastic part that you replace with a pulley? Thanks Great write up!

So finally I finished mine, when I tried it was a little slow still.
Then I clear the grease on the rails and applied new grease and now they are much more faster than before,

So when you do this, make sure really clean everything you can in there, before putting anything together.

-MSR

MetalSpikeRacing: The most important is that "now they are much more faster than before":biggrin:

While you have already removed the door panel and the regulator, of course it is always a good idea to clean and grease the tracks. Problem is that to do it right you should remove them and then you'll have all the window adjustment job to do...this is why my advice was: do not grease the tracks, grease the regulator instead!

To my experience and "study" I don't believe that old or dried grease can be alone the cause of the problem, your windows shouldn't be slow just because of that after installing the kit and sleeve, so you may another problem there:
Have you checked the window adjustment by the way? What about the regulator RUBBER guides, have you put grease there? are they in place? aren't they damaged? In 91-93 model regulator the lever part gets deformed after a few years of service and thus will produce drag over the regulator track itself...

I hate to be like this, but did you read the thread?

Look at post #2 to see this part:

Strange, I went to the beginning a few times and didnt see that. The starting point was right after that. I was reluctant to ask this question and checked and rechecked but still didnt get the portion with the pulley. The next visit I was able to see the pulley and felt really dumb!

Thanks for posting the picture and being helpful.

Bay Area NSXers may want to check out this thread if you want help/guidance to install your Hugabuga window kit.

Also, if you are not mechanically inclined but need your windows done
I have decided to purchase some extra kits from Hugo, PM me and I will work out a deal with you to do your car for you.

Received my Kit a few days ago, many thanks Hugo! Hope to have it all up and running shortly.

I'm going to do the clean down of the rails and re-grease. I have the Honda green urea grease, but also have Castrol BNS which has no melting point. Would you recommend using that on the gears and the honda grease on the rail?

Did my driver side this weekend. Here are my tips in addition to others.

1. Preload Driver (left) side spring clockwise or else bad things happens. My spring was deformed so bad I had to cut it. I also had to cut the slit on the axle all the way through so the modified spring will stay in place.
2. Do not remove the spring out of the spring holder. You will spend an hour trying to get it back in. If you do remove it. Wearing a pair of thick gloves helps.
3. Patience is a virtue. I found cussing helps too.
4. Test your work before putting everything back. I would make sure the cable reels properly by moving the "thing" up and down. And test once more by power.
5. Do not lay your door card down bottom first. I am down to 2 tabs that are still intact.
6. Duct tape leaves residue on glass. WD40 can remove these residues.
7. Instead of using a c-clamp to hold down the lower reel, I found it easier for me to just install the upper reel and rotate it gradually while holding it down. The teeth will catch.

Upgrade complete, no new advice to add but will state that it is a nice modification. Windows fly down, still a little slow up but ALOT faster than before.:biggrin:

Thanks. Fitted mine today.

Only issue i had was that the sleeves were slightly out of round, so I needed to drill slightly oversize to stop binding. Maybe when they were cut the sleeves were crushed slightly.

still a little slow for the last 2 - 3 inches but night & day difference from before.

Fitted mine over the weekend, first one about 3 hours, second about 1 hour.

Some observations:
1. You dont need to remove the coiled spring from the white plastic carrier (its a real pain to get back if you do!)
2. If you dont need to sleve the grey axle, then you dont need to remove the cables, just remove the spools to get enough slack in the cables to insert the fix it thingy.
3. Try not to tape up the windows when its 28 degrees sunshine as the tape melts and the window slips down (guess how I know this ..... DOH)
4. Clean off all the old gunk, and lube everything you can. I managed to get hold of a tin of spray grease with a long flexy delivery tube, I was then able to manipulate the straw to lube front and rear guide's
5. Invest in a 10mm ratchet spanner to remove the two window securing bolts.

Anyway, my drivers window was very slow, and regularly stopped half way up! Its now found its youth. Result eh:smile:

Thanks Hugabuga

Bay Area NSXers may want to check out this thread if you want help/guidance to install your Hugabuga window kit.

Also, if you are not mechanically inclined but need your windows done
I have decided to purchase some extra kits from Hugo, PM me and I will work out a deal with you to do your car for you.

We need a support group in Socal like you guys in Norcal :smile:

Hey Hugo

I had new regulators (both windows) and the Dali metal window thingy put in a couple of years ago. Windows work fine. Do you think it's a big hurry to do this upgrade now?

Last edited:
Hey Hugo

I had my regulators (both windows) and the Dali metal window thingy put in a couple of years ago. Windows work fine. Do you think it's a big hurry to do this upgrade now?

The window fix-it thingies are a necessary replacement item, especially on your '91, but they do nothing to return the speed and smoothness to the regulator. Hugo's kit will do this. As far as a hurry goes, if your car has low-mileage and the windows are smooth and fast (like aridon99's) then there is no hurry. But if your car gets a lot of use and your windows seem to labor going up, then this is the fix for you.

The window fix-it thingies are a necessary replacement item, especially on your '91, but they do nothing to return the speed and smoothness to the regulator. Hugo's kit will do this. As far as a hurry goes, if your car has low-mileage and the windows are smooth and fast (like aridon99's) then there is no hurry. But if your car gets a lot of use and your windows seem to labor going up, then this is the fix for you.

Brand new regulators put in two years ago and running smooth. Less than 2,000 miles driven since then. Maybe I'll pick up the parts on his SoCal visit and put them in at a later time.

Along my REGULATOR TOUR, I have found that many regulators had missing or damaged rubber guidings.
As already anounced before, I will now start to work on mouldling and plastic injection processes to have these guidings ready and available for the NSXPO:rolleyes:

So, let's restart all over again!
Let's remember the NSX regulator:
movingpart.jpg

The moving part of the NSX regulator is equipped with...RUBBER guides!!! I don't know the reason of this strange idea, to my opinion some plastic guides would have been much better, like the one used in the window tracks!

The fifth guide (top left) is not a guide but a bumpstop for the lower position, this one should remain in rubber, and we can simply invert its position if it gets damaged by the grease or years of duty

Again, let's compare it to the S2000, a 10years younger car with late technology (at least for the windows!) :biggrin:
s2000guide.jpg

and a ZOOM on the guides:
s2000guide2.jpg

s2000guide1.jpg

s2000guide3.jpg

It is seems they have opted for a two compound guiding solution for the S2000!

Our guidings are too small for a two conpound solution, the discussion is now open to choose the material!

I thought of TEFLON as beeing a self-lubricated plastic, more resistant then Nylon for example. Or we could even use 2 of the OEM rubber, with 2 teflon out of 4, having a "two-compound" guiding solution like the S2000...what do you think?

The only reason I can remember to use rubber would be to turn the movement as quite and smooth as possible....However the window guides for the door tracks are made of plastic not rubber, so it doesn't make much sense to my opinion

I have a block of Teflon that I will try to shape this weekend for the first experiences...stay tuned! :biggrin:

ditto.
let me know the amount and your paypal address and i'll send the funds for a set. when we did the window repair in orlando i told you i'd be first in line for a pair of these but i'll settle for second.

best regards, hugo.

rog

rog: I know you did, I just ordered the mould, it should take about 2-3 weeks to have it ready, just before the NSXPO then :biggrin:!
I intend to produce 2000 teflon guides, that is enough for 250sets=500kits (including the already sold or installed ones...)

I do not have any pricing yet, we will discuss this part in the vendor section very soon, I will try to keep it as low as possible

thanks for the update hugo. you're the best. looking forward to your email on the offerings.

cheers,
rog

Hey guys I need new windows regulator this morning again windows stop working so before I open it was gona just get new regulator looks like 97 CL windows regulator looks the be same @ lest the pics do anyone else looked into this also 98 RL regulator looks about the same thanks Ravi

Are any of these kits still being sold??? I love the idea, but am a little worried about my own "skills" at tackling this job. Are all the parts a direct replacement? I'm sure I could find some one to do the job after I've bought the parts.

The guides are not ready yet, there has been some problem with the mold, please be patient and they will soon be release
I will then contact all the buyers of the pulleys kit, do not worry!

Back