• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windows popping but regulators are updated...

I just need to know the points where I need to grease to quiet the "popping" of the windows when I roll them up.

Per FAQ, I took the door panels apart in my '92 and I'm glad to say my regulators are the updated units (plastic "thingy" is boxed in with metal). I hear the "popping" noise so I greased the cables while rolling windows up and down.

My windows still make the popping sound although not as loud as before. Where specifically should I grease to quiet down the popping?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
My friend, you are screwed. I have/had the same exact problem. Look just behind the plastic thingy you are talking about that is upgraded. You will see a plastic spool turned horizontally that mounts to the metal piece which is attached to the window.

I rolled the window up and down and it kept popping, and it looked like the plastic spool was binding in and out. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the regulator...and guess what? It is still binding. Now they are telling me my window tracks are probably worn out at 27K miles. BS! The shop doesn't know what they are doing is my opinion. He said he cleaned the tracks as grease builds up on the over time, and can slow the window down.

Good luck. I stongly recommend you take it to a dealership that says they have adjusted these windows before. Unfortunately, I have yet to find anyone in Houston that knows how to properly adjust these windows.

Oh, and by the way, try putting a little grease on the horizontal spool that is behind/attached to the backside of the window fix it thingy. That may help.

Thanks man, looks like I'll have to find time to take the door panels apart again. So all the drama is behind the regulator? I can't really see what's back there but I'll try and take a look.

Anyone else??

johnny010 said:
My friend, you are screwed. I have/had the same exact problem. Look just behind the plastic thingy you are talking about that is upgraded. You will see a plastic spool turned horizontally that mounts to the metal piece which is attached to the window.

I rolled the window up and down and it kept popping, and it looked like the plastic spool was binding in and out. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the regulator...and guess what? It is still binding. Now they are telling me my window tracks are probably worn out at 27K miles. BS! The shop doesn't know what they are doing is my opinion. He said he cleaned the tracks as grease builds up on the over time, and can slow the window down.

Good luck. I stongly recommend you take it to a dealership that says they have adjusted these windows before. Unfortunately, I have yet to find anyone in Houston that knows how to properly adjust these windows.

Oh, and by the way, try putting a little grease on the horizontal spool that is behind/attached to the backside of the window fix it thingy. That may help.

Mine popped for a long time and then by rolling the window part way up and down the popping stopped for whatever reason. My 91 has the original window regulators as far as I know.

Lubing the spool should help. One other thing - when do you get the popping? Is it only when you roll the windows up and its near the top?

My driver window was popping (new regulators already done) and I lubed my spool already. Took the car to Don at Hilltop Auto and he found that some of the screws holding the regulator and/or tracks were not all of the way in (maybe backed themselves out?). That was causing the binding and popping. He removed the entire assembly, lubed it all up and it put it back in. Works great now.

You might have the same issue. First try the lube. If that doesn't work, then get the car over to your NSX speciaist.

mickeylex said:
Lubing the spool should help. One other thing - when do you get the popping? Is it only when you roll the windows up and its near the top?

My driver window was popping (new regulators already done) and I lubed my spool already. Took the car to Don at Hilltop Auto and he found that some of the screws holding the regulator and/or tracks were not all of the way in (maybe backed themselves out?). That was causing the binding and popping. He removed the entire assembly, lubed it all up and it put it back in. Works great now.

You might have the same issue. First try the lube. If that doesn't work, then get the car over to your NSX speciaist.

Yes, mine only pops when it's on the way up near the top. I will check thee screws while I'm in the process of lubing up the spool. Thanks guys...any more suggestions, let's hear it since this is a topic that will be searched often by new NSX owners.

johnny010 said:
Here is the answer to this post....it is probably one of the best posts you will ever read, and most depressing at the same time.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73691

Ouch. It seems that I only need to align my driver side window just a tad lower (like an 8th of an inch). Seem like I only need to adjust the stopper plates a little lower and I will lube the spool and see if that helps.

Back