• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windshield Protection

I currently have an unblemished windshield and want to keep it that way especially since they are becoming hard to come by. Has anyone used some sort of PPF on their windshield to prevent rock chips and the like?

Thanks,
Mark

I had one on my Durango in 18, I did not use it on my 21. Can't use an ice scraper, so had to work around that issue was a pita in NE Pa. Other annoyance was the rainbow effect or prism effects when wearing polarizing sunglasses...a minor issue. Can't use harsh cleaners to easily clean bugs ect...Sadly I don't recall the brand, but it was a premium one as my installer would not skimp.

I have checked into windshield protection for the NSX. Wouldn't have to worry about using an ice scraper on it. I took a nasty hit on the S2000 windshield the summer before last. It was high on the passenger side, and not hindering vision. Had it repaired, but it is still quite visible from the outside. I bit the bullet and bought an OEM replacement and all mouldings for the next time. I'd like to get the same for the NSX. Is there a quality aftermarket one available? I would consider an OEM one, but can you even still get one in North America?

I put ClearPlex on mine when I replaced the windshield w an OEM one ($$$) bout 11 yrs ago, it was still optically fine but had taken some hits so I replaced it after 8 years, was like getting a new windshield. Ive heard if your car sits in the sun alot itll discolor but mines always garaged so it held up well. There is very very minute optics distortion but its so negligible youll never notice.

Ive heard if your car sits in the sun alot itll discolor.

If it's in the sun a lot, it'll suddenly craze after 2-3 years and need to be replaced. I went through three Clearplex applications on another car for that reason (at $500 each) before coming to my senses.

Clearplex-covered glass resists cracking, but it pits and scratches way more easily than bare glass, so it doesn't look good for very long. My insurance replaces cracked windshields for free, so for me there's no downside to leaving the glass bare.

Windshield PPF technology has come a long way in the last few years. When I got my car paint corrected and PPF in late 2020, my wrap guy said windshield PPF was not yet good enough, if you used your wipers than it could damage the film and even pull it off, and he advised against it. Now he actively recommends it, he says wipers glide across with no issues. I will likely get it done soon.

Back