• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windshield replaced. Need help!!

Hi Guys!! :)

I just had the windshield replaced on my '91 NSX. The glass is fine. It's the trim between the glass and the roof that concerns me. I picked up my car today and went for a drive. I could hear quite of a bit of wind noise - no whistling - just wind as a got up to freeway speeds. When I got to where I was going - I took a close look and can't help but wonder IF the trim was put on backwards. I can't remember how it used to look so I'm not absolutely sure. And the chances of finding another NSX to compare it too are next to none. I drove back to where the windshield was installed to ask them about it. They said that THAT is HOW the trim piece goes on. In fact [they said] it's the only way it CAN go on. I'm not absolutely convinced. They're nice guys and ordered another trim piece - but I would like to know for sure before I push this.

Please click on the following [admittedly not so good] photos of the trim.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/CanadaCraig/NSXwinTRIM01.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/CanadaCraig/NSXwinTRIM02.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/CanadaCraig/NSXwinTRIM03.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/CanadaCraig/NSXwinTRIM04.jpg

Does it look like the trim on YOUR NSX?!

If the photos aren't helping much - let me know and I'll try to describe what it looks like.

In my mind - it should be a smooth transition from window to trim. But as it is - it's not. I hope I'm making sense.

Please help!!

Thank you very much.

Craig!! :confused:

Your molding looks messed up...it should be sealed tight to the glass. Have them do it again and compare it to this.

Last edited:
NSX 3.0 said:
Your molding looks messed up...it should be sealed tight to the glass. Have them do it again and compare it to this.

Yours even looks different than mine. Is your's oem steve?

By the way, to the original poster, it appears that the installer tried to reuse the trim. When mine was done they wanted to put their version of trim on which looked like crap, I forgot to mention I wanted that piece oem as well when I phoned in the order so we ended up reusing mine. It doesn't fit perfect, but we managed to make it presentable. Yours looks like it needs to be shoved more into the split between window and roof.

comquat1 said:
Yours even looks different than mine. Is your's oem steve?

By the way, to the original poster, it appears that the installer tried to reuse the trim. When mine was done they wanted to put their version of trim on which looked like crap, I forgot to mention I wanted that piece oem as well when I phoned in the order so we ended up reusing mine. It doesn't fit perfect, but we managed to make it presentable. Yours looks like it needs to be shoved more into the split between window and roof.

Yes it is OEM...http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1419

I appreciate the help.

Been rather busy - so I've kinda put things on hold.

Here is an update.

I went back to get the 'new' molding put on - but it was exactly the same as the one that's on the car. So I didn't bother. I asked them to FIND the RIGHT molding. It's been over 10 days now and I haven't heard anything. [they asked me to give them a week] What THEY are being told [the glass shop AND my local Acura dealer] is that Acura updated the molding a few years ago and THAT is the only molding available. I'm guessing the update occurred when the NSX-T came out. [but that's a just a guess - can't think of any other reason] I'm not satisfied - but what am I to do?!

Is there anywhere in the U.S. that I can get the part number FOR the 'right' molding? [so I can give my glass shop that number]

Sigh... :frown:

Thanks,
Craig!! :)

D'Ecosse said:
There are two pieces:

The Molding is ..... 73151-SL0-023
The Fastener is ... 73152-SL0-013
Thanks D'Ecosse!! :)

I really appreciate that.

I'm curious though. Did you come across TWO different part numbers for the molding? Is there anything to the 'story' I'm being told about Acura updating the part?!

Thanks again,

I NEED HELP!!

That said..

Thanks again - D'Ecosse.

I phoned the windshield shop yesterday and they DO have the right parts - including the fastener. [and they DID put the right parts on my car] I was quite disappointed. [having had the numbers YOU gave me in hand] Now what I REALLY need are instructions as to HOW to properly install the molding and fastener. The windshield shop says that there is NO OTHER WAY the molding and fastener CAN go on. They have now offered to replace the molding that's on my NSX with a generic molding - one that they use on all cars. I'm not sure I want to do that. But it's the only option I have - so far. [unless I can PROVE that they put the molding/fastener on wrong]

:frown:

Again - any help would be appreciated. [from anyone]

Thanks,

CanadaCraig said:
I NEED HELP!!

That said..

Thanks again - D'Ecosse.

I phoned the windshield shop yesterday and they DO have the right parts - including the fastener. [and they DID put the right parts on my car] I was quite disappointed. [having had the numbers YOU gave me in hand] Now what I REALLY need are instructions as to HOW to properly install the molding and fastener. The windshield shop says that there is NO OTHER WAY the molding and fastener CAN go on. They have now offered to replace the molding that's on my NSX with a generic molding - one that they use on all cars. I'm not sure I want to do that. But it's the only option I have - so far. [unless I can PROVE that they put the molding/fastener on wrong]

Thanks,

Tell them to get you a new Honda molding and fastener and take it to a different shop.

CanadaCraig said:
I NEED HELP!!

That said..

Thanks again - D'Ecosse.

Thanks,

Sorry, a little late here, but I've done the moulding replacement myself and when you buy the pieces, it should come with instructions. Based on the pics, it looks to me like there was still some gunk in there from the old moulding. You are supposed to take a putty knife or similar and scrape out all of the old rubber bits from the old fastener that gets stuck there. If you dont, then the new fastener doesn't go in all the way and you get the "bubble" effect you see in the pics.

I didn't completely clean out the gunk the first time I tried and got the exact same thing you did.

Thanks for the help.

I did a yahoo search for 'NSX windshield molding installation instructions' and wouldn't you know it - I found exactly what I was looking for HERE at NSXPRIME!!

Click on THIS to see what I mean.

I emailed the glass shop and gave them the above link. They said they'll take out the one they put in wrong and put in a new molding. [the right way - I'm assuming!!] Hopefully I'll get that done this week. Finding the time and the weather has kept me from getting it done sooner.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that THIS time the molding will look like it's supposed to.

Thanks again,

Back