• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wings West Spats

I would like to put the Wings West Spats I bought from Dali Racing, but would like to have some guidance. They look like swim fins and I would like to fit and prep them for paint. They did not come with any tape, adhesive or directions. Sorry for my lack of knowledge, this is a first for me.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Michael

I'm no car body expert, but when I put mine on I took them into a reputable body shop that prepped and sanded them then painted to match my car. They attached the 3M double sided tape were it was needed. One held perfect with the tape the other didn't so we ended up using quick drying epoxy. Neither have come loose in 3 years. Make sure prior to painting you drill a large (about 1-1.5" diameter) hole in the underside of each spat to allow water drainage. Otherwise, they will fill up quickly. Only you know the hole is there. They make a nice addition.

I guess I got a bad set of rear spats then because mine came off almost as soon as I left the body shop the first time they installed them.
The 3M double tape didn't work worth a flip. I ended up taking them back to the shop and having them do it again and then actually bolting them on. Not coming off now....take that back, they will when I get my new style rear valance....whenever that is:frown:

Before I had my WW kit installed by a highly recommended body shop, I read a lot about other peoples experiences with them. One constant was spats falling off. So I had the body shop do the tape and put one small screw in each one and fill. No one can tell it is there unless you get right on top and the sun is shinning just right. No one has ever seen it unless I point it out. Better than losing it and starting all over again + repairs:wink:

I installed my WW kit over a year ago myself.
I used double sided tape by 3M and have had no probelms.
I did use a 3M bonding agent that you have to apply to all parts before using the tape. It makes the tape much stronger and it sticks immediately when the tape comes into contact with the surface. I had a difficult time finding it, but ended up getting it from Grainger. For the spats, I did use one screw near the rear of the wheel well.
Good luck!

Nate in DC

...when I put mine on I took them into a reputable body shop that prepped and sanded them then painted to match my car. They attached the 3M double sided tape were it was needed. One held perfect with the tape the other didn't so we ended up using quick drying epoxy. ....
Mine were coming off, so when other work was being done on my car, the body shop that was doing the work did something similar to both. They used some sort of epoxy to reinforce the tape, and it's been on also for about 3 years straight now.

Back