• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

wire harness repair job help!

I am trying to repair my headunit wire harness. It was cut up by the previous owner, he taped the wire for a Japanese ETC and a External Nav Device. I have also removed the Clifford G5 and installed a Viper 5704 as well if that matters.

Here are my questions,
What are those 2 extra wires? The white and orange, looks like the bose preamp wire. but I already have those connected at the harness. It was left cut and disconnected all along, any clue?

Constant power Yellow/White not working. I have checked the fuse and its ok.

CD Changer also doesnt power up.

Attachments

• IMG_4709.jpg
    IMG_4709.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4711.jpg
    IMG_4711.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
you didnt say if you are tring to put the OEM radio back in or Keep using the current setup.

the orange and white on both side are the 4 speakers.
L, R, Sub, Tweet

if you want to make a perfect plug again.

go to the Junk yard and find any
honda from 1987-1996 or
Acura from 1989-1995

find one that the radio has be removed ( less work for you )
and pull the harness out as far as you can and cut it to give you some long wires to work with.

then copy the pins from the NSX pigtail and soilder/ or crimp them all back.

BANG you have a new OEM non-hacked harness for you radio.

good luck

Last edited:
you didnt say if you are tring to put the OEM radio back in or Keep using the current setup.

the orange and white on both side are the 4 speakers.
L, R, Sub, Tweet

if you want to make a perfect plug again.

go to the Junk yard and find any
honda from 1987-1996 or
Acura from 1989-1995

find one that the radio has be removed ( less work for you )
and pull the harness out as far as you can and cut it to give you some long wires to work with.

then copy the pins from the NSX pigtail and soilder/ or crimp them all back.

BANG you have a new OEM non-hacked harness for you radio.

good luck

Im trying to install an aftermarket radio, but I also have a SOS wire harness so I want to restore the OEM harness it make things cleaner.

Yea too bad the local junk yard wont let anyone to just take a piece out, you have to buy the whole front end or rear end for NSX since its so rare.

We have tweeter? I checked all the pins for harness its all there, cannot find where the extra white or orange wire which I taped up go to...:confused:

Those wires are for the sub and rear center. Check the clock fuse and look for a fuse labeled "back up". Honda runs the radio off of several fused links.

OK Thanks I will check that clock fuse as well.

I think the twisted one is for the subwoofer according to the service manual, but whats the white and orange that I taped up.

Last edited:
Shawn is talking about taking the plug from any honda, not a NSX.

1.There are 4 sets of white and orange wires connected to the head unit.

Left door speaker
Right door speaker
Subwoofer Left
Subwoofer Right

Whites are speaker (+)
Orange are speaker (-)

The twisted orange and white pair doesn't appear to be factory. On the plug in your picture, the left side first two rows are the subwoofer and the right side first two rows with the twisted pair is for the left and right door speakers. What does the twisted pair connect to? That's probably where they go.

2. The White/ yellow stripe wire is fed from fuse #33 in the underhood fuse relay box.

3. Make sure the cable isn't disconnected behind the seat or around the trunk.

Mike

Last edited:
Comtec LOL you beat me to it

there are no NSX's at any junkyard trust me.

Any honda from those years have the same pigtail.
normally you pay 2 dollars and walk in, find a honda, cut harness with longer wires to work with, they prob will not charge you for the harness.

though the wire colors will be different.

but if he read what I posted he could make a nice long one and would make install super easy for future installs.

Just to be clear, there are 4 speakers in the NSX.
1) A powered Left door speaker
2) A powered Right door speaker
3) A powered "subwoofer" in the passanger footwell
4) A passive "center" speaker (this is powered by the amp in the subwoofer).

There are no dedicated "tweeters" in the factory NSX system.

Shawn is talking about taking the plug from any honda, not a NSX.

1.There are 4 sets of white and orange wires connected to the head unit.

Left door speaker
Right door speaker
Subwoofer Left
Subwoofer Right

Whites are speaker (+)
Orange are speaker (-)

The twisted orange and white pair doesn't appear to be factory. On the plug in your picture, the left side first two rows are the subwoofer and the right side first two rows with the twisted pair is for the left and right door speakers. What does the twisted pair connect to? That's probably where they go.

2. The White/ yellow stripe wire is fed from fuse #33 in the underhood fuse relay box.

3. Make sure the cable isn't disconnected behind the seat or around the trunk.

Mike

1. Found out that orange and white twisted pair is connected to a grey plug above the dash fuse box that have black/white/orange wires which I believe is the left door speaker connector. This is weird.

2. I have checked #33 fuse with DMM and it's ok but still no power to white/yellow wire

3. CD changer should be affected by having no constant power to the headunit

You should check for continuity between the wht/yell wire that has no power to fuse in the fuse box. Also, check the fuse for power on both sides of the fuse. You might have already done this with the DMM. You should check EVERY fuse both visually and with a DMM just to be sure. I can't tell you how many times customers would bring me cars where the radios had been stolen and the harness was cut, blowing multiple fuses. One time the radio wouldn't work after I repaired everything and replaced the radio and back up fuses and I decided to check all the fuses to find that the power mirror fuse was blown and it was connected to the audio circuit from the factory.
The plug that has the black, white and 2 orange wires sounds correct because the you have 4 wires per door speaker: signal from the radio (white +, orange -) and power for the bose amps (orange +, black -).
Hope that helps,
Jay

1. Found out that orange and white twisted pair is connected to a grey plug above the dash fuse box that have black/white/orange wires which I believe is the left door speaker connector. This is weird.

2. I have checked #33 fuse with DMM and it's ok but still no power to white/yellow wire

3. CD changer should be affected by having no constant power to the headunit

Ok, that should be the correct connector. It would be a gray 18 position plug. Do you see the original orange and white wires like on the other end (disconnected)?

Is everything else working? Car runs fine, no CEL, does the clock keep correct time? I have a feeling the white/ yellow stripe wire has been cut somewhere before the radio connector. Try tracing it as far as you can from the radio plug.

Mike

Mike

Ok, that should be the correct connector. It would be a gray 18 position plug. Do you see the original orange and white wires like on the other end (disconnected)?

Is everything else working? Car runs fine, no CEL, does the clock keep correct time? I have a feeling the white/ yellow stripe wire has been cut somewhere before the radio connector. Try tracing it as far as you can from the radio plug.

Mike

Mike

Just plugged in the clock and check for Clock Memory, it does maintain the time setting after the car is off.

And magically the White/Yellow constant power at the radio works after the clock is plugged in. But both doesn't work if the clock is disconnected and just using the DMM to check it. Is there some certain circuit that completes after the clock is plugged in? The service manual doesn't mention this at all.

Just plugged in the clock and check for Clock Memory, it does maintain the time setting after the car is off.

And magically the White/Yellow constant power at the radio works after the clock is plugged in. But both doesn't work if the clock is disconnected and just using the DMM to check it. Is there some certain circuit that completes after the clock is plugged in? The service manual doesn't mention this at all.

No there is not a circuit that completes when the clock is plugged in, they just share the same memory fuse. Try this, take the clock back out and hook your DDM to the white/yellow stripe wire at the head unit and ground to check for voltage. While you have the meter connected, have someone tug on the plug connector for the clock and the wiring behind the head unit. You just want to move the wiring around while you watch the meter. If there is a loose connection or broken wire you may see a momentary voltage reading. Sort of sounds like that's what happened when you moved the wires to plug in the clock.

Mike

Finally I fixed the problem!

The previous owner had like a million wire taps through out the wire harness, and it caused the problem after the wire taps were removed since the wire strands were basically cut and squashed.

I had to replace 2 sections of the White/Yellow wire and now everything works fine. But since the harness still look like a hack job may be I will order a replacement harness from Metra.

The regular harness is: Metra 70-1720
The repair / Reverse Wiring Harness: ???

Last edited:
Back