• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Woman tells tale of harrowing high-speed nightmare

Kia Sorento
2011-Kia-Sorento-rear-pictures.jpg

People are stupid. Neutral is always easy. So is shutting off the engine, even with a push to start (push to stop) button. It is one of the first things I learned in driver's education a bunch of years ago.

But she is overqualified for the CHP. Perhaps if she were driving a Lexus she would have crashed it.

Miner

I heard that but I find it hard to believe.

Why? I've had that happen to me in the past where I could not move the shifter no matter how much pressure I put on it (out of park into drive). This was some time ago so I don't remember the details of how I finally got it working again... but if you were to examine the mechanicals underneath I bet you there is something that can lock it and prevent it from being moved.

She was on with 911 (she was still talking to them when she gets out of the car at the end of the video). Even if she was too panic'ed to try this on her own, I'm sure that is one of the first things the operator had her try.

Last edited:
Why? I've had that happen to me in the past where I could not move the shifter no matter how much pressure I put on it (out of park into drive)

Park into drive requires depressing the button on the shifter and, on some models, depressing the brake pedal. Shifting from drive to neutral does not require anything - you just move it. It's designed that way to allow for emergencies just like this one.

WOW, she did all that while holding a cell phone to her ear talking to the dispatcher. I CALL BS!!!!!!!!! Something stinks about this story an it'll likely come out eventually 1 click to the laft turns off the engine. WTF is going on here!

I didn't see any brake lights until the very end when she did stop.

exactly...I call BS

her story makes no sense considering the brake lights didn't come on until it all the sudden stopped....hmmmm Imagine that???

The fact that she had to pull up on the gas pedal, and she said the brakes didn't work, leads me to guess that something got lodged under the pedals.

She said that the e-brake was on all the time. Is Kia Sorento equipped electronic E-brake? I’ll stick with the traditional E-brake, and I’ll never touch Kia. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Shes in it to sue the hell out of KIA for a nice pay day. As driving enthusiast or people with a brain, we all call BS.

Why? I've had that happen to me in the past where I could not move the shifter no matter how much pressure I put on it (out of park into drive). This was some time ago so I don't remember the details of how I finally got it working again... but if you were to examine the mechanicals underneath I bet you there is something that can lock it and prevent it from being moved.

Completely different situation, all autos are made with a Park lock that requires the key in the ignition to move it out of Park. There is no such lock when going from D to N.

Back