• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Won't Start

jmp

Experienced Member
I have a '91 CTSC with AEM. Cold starting usually takes 2-3 turns of the key. Been that way for 10k miles. Today, I turned the key and everything lights up but when I turn it all the way, all I hear is a single "click" and nothing further. No turning over and no "click, click, click" sound. Just single click. Battery is fine. Is this my starter suddenly gone bad? Heellpp??? Thanks.

First question? Do you have an aftermarket alarm system with a built in disablement on the car? I have this system and my car will not start until I disarm it.

Second; have you actually tested the battery. Even though the lights and fan come on, your battery still may not have enough CCA to turn over the car

If that's all fine, the ticking sound is behind your head correct? Check to see if it is the ignitor. Small black box sitting on top of and just behind the opening of your throttle body.

CN

No aftermarket alarm.

I took the battery from another car and it did the same thing.

It is not really making an ignite sound. When operating normally, when I turn the key, there is an initial click, followed by the sound of the starter turning the motor over. Now, that intial click is more like half a click and then quiet (not turning of starter or motor). Thanks for your help.

I also failed to initially mention that i have about 92k on the car.

Simple battery test: Turn on your headlights with the car in a location where you can see them shining on something. Then turn the ignition key to start. If you get the click and the headlights are still bright, the battery is OK. If the headlights go so dim you can't see them from inside the car, the battery or battery cables, ground, etc is bad.

Ftuhy,

I appreciate the thought. I know it is not the battery as I removed another battery from another vehicle that is working fine and installed and it did exactly the same thing. Any other thoughts? Does this sound like my starter is bad?

Check the clutch pedal switch. If the little rubber plug has fallen apart and can't push in the switch when you depress the clutch pedal the engine won't turn over. Common problem.

My "simple battery check" will also "fail" if there are bad connections. So, replacing the battery doesn't eliminate a bad ground, for example. As EdinKali noted, check the switch on the clutch pedal. It can also be a bad ignition switch. In addition, check http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126038 on how to disassemble & clean the ignition switch.

Speaking as an electrical engineer, I'd start by checking the voltage at the starter terminals. If that test fails, then I'd start checking the clutch pedal switch, starter switch, grounds, etc. But, not everyone is familiar with or comfortable with electrical measurements & I can understand that. But, if you have access to a voltmeter & know how to use it, you can check if 12Vdc (more than about 8 Vdc under heavy load when the starter is actually cranking) is getting to the correct leads on the starter. If you PM me, I could walk you through how to do that.

EdinKali wins the door-prize. Love when what begins as an apparently big problem ends up with a simple solution. The little plastic "nub" behind the clutch pedal was worn out and failing to make contact when pushed in which is what caused the motor to not turn over. $2 fix!

Thanks to all for the inputs and in particular EdinKali!

EdinKali wins the door-prize. Love when what begins as an apparently big problem ends up with a simple solution. The little plastic "nub" behind the clutch pedal was worn out and failing to make contact when pushed in which is what caused the motor to not turn over. $2 fix!

Thanks to all for the inputs and in particular EdinKali!

What did I win? ;) You're welcome! Glad it was an easy fix. :)

i been having the same problem, new battery and all but when i get a jump start. it works fine. Could my alternator be bad, and cause it not to recharge the battery? and for some reason it only happens when its cold outside -_-

Sounds like you need to clean your battery terminals(make sure they are tight as well) or it is time to replace your battery. When it is cold your battery can't produce as many cranking amps. If your battery is starting to die it will become most evident as soon as the weather turns cold.

its a brand new battery. just bought it like 2 months ago. I have cleaned my terminal and made sure it was tight. Its like an intermittent problem which doesn't help. some days it will work. Most days it will work and then theres a day when it just wont start.

WAY TO GO EdinKali!!!!!

You probably saved this guy considerable money and sleep!

You da man!

What did I win? ;) You're welcome! Glad it was an easy fix. :)

its a brand new battery. just bought it like 2 months ago. I have cleaned my terminal and made sure it was tight. Its like an intermittent problem which doesn't help. some days it will work. Most days it will work and then theres a day when it just wont start.

Oh. Intermittent? I would guess that is a dirty or worn ignition switch(you can take it apart and clean/dress it up), or it could be cold solder joints on the main relay. If you are handy with a soldering iron you can re-solder all the joints or just replace the thing(only about $60). These are common items that go bad in the NSX(along with those pesky rubber thingies in the clutch pedals).

Less likely would be a bad starter(solenoid contacts heavily worn). Also, check to make sure the connections on the starter are tight(doesn't cost you anything and I have heard this causing problems on a few NSX's out there). Just make sure you disconnect the battery before attempting to tighten anything on the starter so there is no risk of causing a short if the wrench touches anything grounded.

Less likely would be a bad starter(solenoid contacts heavily worn). Also, check to make sure the connections on the starter are tight(doesn't cost you anything and I have heard this causing problems on a few NSX's out there). Just make sure you disconnect the battery before attempting to tighten anything on the starter so there is no risk of causing a short if the wrench touches anything grounded.

Mine has symptoms that make me think one of these might be the culprit. Are solenoid contacts replaceable at all, or do you have to get a new starter?

I see an NSX starter solenoid rebuild kit on ebay for $26.99

Search for:

starter repair kit rebuild Acura NSX 91 3.0L

I see them for other years as well.

Back