• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

woody loves lovefab!

I think that my builder said that a stock rod was good for close to 700 HP you Woody, you should be fine. Bob, Mine is getting very close.
Tim

jorligan said:
I think that my builder said that a stock rod was good for close to 700 HP you Woody, you should be fine. Bob, Mine is getting very close.
Tim

Can't wait to see your end results; between you and Woody the reservoir of NSX HP is GROWING in the Mid-west:biggrin:
I hope to be adding my bit to that reserve but it won't happen until spring.:confused:
I am sure the designers/engineers of the next generation of the NSX should be taking some lessons from the NSXs listed on the FI form. The power to weight ratios being achieved put your cars near the leading edge of what is being produced today. It nice to see the NSX with the power it always deserved.:cool:
Remember the old saying: Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely; I am guessing we all want to be absolutely corrupted.:rolleyes: :biggrin:

Bob

Factor X Motorsports said:
Bring it on down to Vegas! We have been waiting for years to have some sort of FI shootout. We can provide the dyno, 1/4 mile track, and entertainment:)

It may be too late have some sort of shootout at this years EXPO but there is time to plan for one at Mid-Ohio in 07. It might be a very informative to have the FI cars get together and measure HP, acceleration and general characteristics of the different set ups. This would make a great tech forum for the event.
Do you suppose there would the level of interest necessary that we might approach the planning committee about such venue?
We may be hard pressed to approach the level of entertainment you can provide in Vagas but we will try; enthusiasm and dedication to purpose can overcome many things.:rolleyes: :wink: :biggrin:

Bob

jorligan said:
Tim

That is probably so but when you modify the rod to accept a different piston is when the trouble starts. If not done correctly the rod will be significantly weakened and inevitably fail. This is due to titanium's low inherent wear resistance which leads to galling and fretting when machined. They need to be re-coated if modified. I believe there are several FI cars that have suffered this fate. Keep in mind although lighter and stronger than steel, titanium has a considerably shorter fatigue life.

I seriously think that with all these risks, it's best to make the OEM rods into paperweights than risk having them destroy your motor in an FI setup.

Here's some good reading in the automotive engineers forums.

That is probably so but when you modify the rod to accept a different piston is when the trouble starts

Is modification to the rod required when changing to a JE forged piston? If so what is done?

WOODY said:
That is probably so but when you modify the rod to accept a different piston is when the trouble starts

Is modification to the rod required when changing to a JE forged piston? If so what is done?

Most likely the bushing in the wrist pin was changed to accomodate the new piston. And there's a good chance your rods were machined to accomodate the new bushings. You need to ask whoever did the job and find out if they properly prepped the machined rod before the bushing was installed. Improper work here is why a lot of FI NSX motors have gone boom.

More good reading here.

My engine builder informs me that the work was done correctly by a professional with over 40 years experience and included (recoating)? the rods.

WOODY said:
My engine builder informs me that the work was done correctly by a professional with over 40 years experience and included (recoating)? the rods.

Well, i would certianly be surprised if he told you the work was done incorrectly. :biggrin:

That is why you choose your technician carefully!:wink:

This is what you have to do to the rods:

Resize Big Ends of Rods -
Bore and install Bushings in Rods -

The stock rods can handle some big HP. I have been boosting for years now with no problems to the rods or pistons. I have JE forged 9.5:1

Resize Big Ends of Rods
Why do the big ends need resizing, I had no work done to the crank:confused:

WOODY said:

Then you should be more than ok! Unfortunately some others out there apparently didn't have the work done properly.

Who was your engine builder? I want to keep a list of the shops/techs that are out there and know what they're doing. There are too many that make big HP claims but know as much about car engines as Pee Wee Herman. :)

Hugh said:
That is probably so but when you modify the rod to accept a different piston is when the trouble starts. If not done correctly the rod will be significantly weakened and inevitably fail. This is due to titanium's low inherent wear resistance which leads to galling and fretting when machined. They need to be re-coated if modified. I believe there are several FI cars that have suffered this fate. Keep in mind although lighter and stronger than steel, titanium has a considerably shorter fatigue life.

I seriously think that with all these risks, it's best to make the OEM rods into paperweights than risk having them destroy your motor in an FI setup.

Here's some good reading in the automotive engineers forums.

The stock Titanium rods "can not" be heated in order to press on the wrist pins. They should be fitted with the correct bushing to fit the pin.

PS Nice numbers Woody

Armando

Devin@AEM said:
Jim (the engine builder mentioned above) is one of the best you'll find. Woody's low comp engine build is about to celebrate its 2 year B-day.

making note to self to get this guy's info and keep it on file somewhere,,,,,

Devin@AEM said:
Crisco and a 10-ton press works wonders.

I though the days of the "Crisco Disco" were long gone! In NYC we graduated to Astroglide more than 10 years ago. :biggrin:

Just an up-date; I had a chance to look over Woody's car and the turbo install last night. The install is extremely clean; even to the point of being subtle; there are no outward signs that the car has a turbo. All the fabrication is top notch with very nice welds and the layout of the plumbing is superb. No part of the turbo is lower than the original chaise so ground clearance is not effected.
If the goal of the installation was to strive to for excellence in execution that goal was achieved hands down. It is a thing of beauty, that exhibits the subtly and class befitting the NSX. Do I sound impressed? I am.
Congratulations Woody and Love Fab; in my opinion this is a fine piece of work. :biggrin:

Bob

3000 mile update:
I have been putting alot of miles on the car since the install as it is my daily driver. (including a recent get together here in chicago...see reviews here http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=679437#post679437)
There have been no issues with the system whatsoever. I am getting to the point where I am comfortable with the new character of the car. The speed controlled boost is the most amazing thing. I cant say enough about the control the vehicle has during 1st through 3rd pulls. Obviously I can break them loose if I want but it is so effortless to really maximize acceleration and put the power to the road. The look on the z06 guy´s face the other day was worth price alone. :biggrin:

Back