• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

work dilema

Right now I work for the government.. I make a decent amount.. (enough to own an nsx at least).... Don't work very hard to get it.. I have the benefits, steady hours, and of course, the stability... but..i've been offered a position that would give me a 50% pay raise... but it's private industry and i think i'd have to work much harder for it....

I'm sure there may have been some of you in this predicament.. any insight into this? All would be greatly appreciated.. i'm stuck here..

xavier

Last edited:
It's Spelled Dilemma

I would work on your spelling!

Seriously, take the job and the extra money. If the work is as interesting as your current job, it will be a good move. And if the work is harder, it will be a good move too as you won't be bored in your new position.

VBNSX...i've been offered a position that would give me a 50% pay raise... but it's private industry and i think i'd have to much harder for it....

xavier

Did you leave the word "work" out of the last sentence. If so, it sounds like you shouldn't change jobs. If you don't want to work harder to earn more money it sounds then stay where you are. Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I can gather from your post, it sounds like you get paid for sitting around on you a$$ all day.

Re: It's Spelled Dilemma

Personally, I would take the new position. All depends on how aggressive you are though.

-Awais

I would be careful with the private industry; it can be misleading with no guarantee. 50% sounds great if you have it in writing if not, keep your current job and find a fun hobby that will make you extra $ in your free time.
I would suggest making less and not loosing sleep at night having extra money is great but there’s more to life than having a bigger bank account.

Besides the more you make the more you spend. Although your signature says -"Live all your dreams and hold back nothing"- when it comes to security of living I say; better to be safe then sorry.

Then again, no guts no glory no falls no balls! Play it safe cause the falls hurt more than the pride of having big balls

I would go for the new job only IF it is something you would enjoy doing. If its something inline with something you don't mind or like than the extra work will not really matter too much.

What type of field are you in?

I would probably go for the new job also if it was something you enjoyed. If not, sit back and let us pay your salary to sit around :D j/k

VBNSX said:
Right now I work for the government.. I make a decent amount.. (enough to own an nsx at least).... Don't work very hard to get it.. I have the benefits, steady hours, and of course, the stability... but..i've been offered a position that would give me a 50% pay raise... but it's private industry and i think i'd have to much harder for it....
r
This happened to me a few months ago. I choose to stay because of the benefits, retirement, stability of the organization (City), and the lower stress level I know I would have staying.

Maybe I could have a newer NSX or an Evo MR in the stable had I left but my quality of life would decrease due to stress and less time with family. Easy decision for me.

If you don't need the money, and you can't stomach the thought of being laid off at a moment's notice, then stay at your current job. Otherwise go for the new job. Good luck with your decision!

Xavier,

How soon do you wish to retire?

How much do you wish to have to spend in retirement?

Unless you are extremely lucky and win the lotto, retirement from a government job (federal, state, or local) is possible only after many many years and will most likely be less than desirable financially.

I worked my but to the bone in the private sector for 35 years and don't regret it at all. The last several years, I worked in a freelance capacity and have retired with a comfortable amount of coin. The best part is that I can now travel the country and do what I like best. VROOM VROOM.

In a nutshell, the more effort you are willing to put forth and the bigger the risks you are willing to take, the faster you will attain your goals in life.

Good luck with your decision.

Ok ok... i apologize for all the junk in the post.. i'm rather distraught and it's a big step for me. I always viewed this job as a stepping stone to something bigger. Here's more information:

I graduated with my BS in Computer Engineering and Applied Math. Then got this job and used it to help pay for my ME in Computer Engineering. I am 25 (26 on Monday) and come May it will be 3 years with the government. I know I don't see myself working with the government forever... but I'm starting to debate between stability and pay. The truth is that I am almost already topped out in the government. My pay increases will be rather small from here on out. Part of my desire to make more comes a lot from this webpage. I see soooo many people on here that are rather wealthy and it makes me want to do the same. At NSXPO it seemed as if everyone who was there was rather successful and I would just like to be there one day also.

as for this comment:
Did you leave the word "work" out of the last sentence. If so, it sounds like you shouldn't change jobs. If you don't want to work harder to earn more money it sounds then stay where you are. Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I can gather from your post, it sounds like you get paid for sitting around on you a$$ all day.

Actually no, I don't sit on my ass all day long.. I have a tendency to work myself out of jobs b/c I work too fast. I'm always being told to 'pace myself' so I constantly appear busy. But to me that's garbage... I can see the politics behind it but i don't like having to work slow. Lastly, you forgot a question mark after your first sentence.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I just figured that many of the people on this forum have been in this situation and it would be a good place to query since they say that hindsight is 20/20.

thanks again,
x

Get the high paying job and get a supercharger. You know that's the only way you can keep up with me on the track :p :D

I would take the job as well. "You always regret the chances you didn't take." - Grumpier Old Men. In the end, you'll have to balance the pros and cons and compromise something to acheive an even greater goal. You're only 26, and have the rest of your life to lead.

If you've never read "If" by Rudyard Kipling, I'd recommend it. It's got some great universal truths in it that promote a deep and meaningful existence as a man.

MarkB said:
In a nutshell, the more effort you are willing to put forth and the bigger the risks you are willing to take, the faster you will attain your goals in life.

Good luck with your decision.
Very well put! No pain, no gain! You have to take some risks to get to the next level :cool:

-Awais

Xavier, had the pleasure of talking with you at NSXPO, you appear to be a bright "kid", you've received some excellent advice in some of the posts above, and will probably receive some good advice below this one as well. Before I went into the financial industry (I make an excellent living, but work my a## off) I ran a family business (my father died 10 days before I graduated college), made a good living, hated what I did. Working for the government does afford a certain level of security, but it certainly has no guarantees. If you see an opportunity, can visualize yourself in the position, and see yourself adding value to this new employer, and advancing yourself not just financially, but professionally and personally, than you need to give it serious consideration. Money can't be the only motivating factor, it helps, but it can't buy you happiness (or health). Satisfaction in ones career is very important, if you feel the new position will give you a feeling of accomplishment and the potential for advancement that you don't feel exists in your current position, than you need to give it serious consideration. Best of luck in making the right choice-Regards

Sometime, the money issue comes later. If you love your job, the money will follow. I am in a situation where the money is good but i am not happy because i feel the company has 20 billion directions on its goals. Round and round it comes to the starting point. It is going no where......as such, i am contemplating about a new direction. Again, this is an example of money is not an issue. YOU HAVE TO BE HAPPY AT WHERE YOU ARE AT. Take a look at your new opportunity, can you see yourself doing it and happy about it? If so, go for it................and get a supercharger. :)

I'm in a similar situation and ain't movin' for nuttin'.

If money is your thing, then go for it. If you're bored, then go for it. I know a lot of people that make a lot more money than I do. They also work a lot more than I do. Are they a lot more happy than me? (Yeah, I know, the reading/writing level is hurtin') I dunno. Sure, why not? Would I be happy in their situation? No way.

What keeps me at my current job is that I'm essential to the business and very well respected. I know I could push for a lot more money or work as a consultant but that's just not my thing. If I need a challenge, I've got plenty of hobbies to keep me busy.

good luck with your decision. I didnt make the career change until i was 29, and in retrospect i wish i'd made it sooner. I went from a salaried situation to total commission. My research on the position and the industry was pretty extensive though, so I had as high a comfort level as you can get jumping into a total commission career.

Here's a thought about careers and corporate world in general: Hardly anyone has the opportunity to ride out a job or specific skill set anymore. You either move upward, or lateral into another position/company. They just arent handing out gold watches anymore.

The more opportunities you take advantage of in the course of your career, the more valuable you become to potential employers. Changing employers can have some invaluable benefit as well. Changing every year over a several year period is not very wise, but working inside some different corporate structures gives you that many more leadership models, management styles, and skill set opportunities to draw upon.

There are plenty of success stories out there with a long history of past failures. Get yourself as far in over your head as you can, and start digging yourself out. There may be some short term pain, but irregardless of how it turns out, it sets you up for long term success.

So i guess my vote is for the risk taking entrepeneurs. ;)

All depends on what you plan to with the extra money. If you plan to increase your current lifestyle and spending habits by 50%, I would say no to taking the new job. If however you intended to save the other 50% to retire early I say take the new job and get the working part of life over with sooner.

W said:
I'm in a similar situation and ain't movin' for nuttin'.

If money is your thing, then go for it. If you're bored, then go for it. I know a lot of people that make a lot more money than I do. They also work a lot more than I do. Are they a lot more happy than me? (Yeah, I know, the reading/writing level is hurtin') I dunno. Sure, why not? Would I be happy in their situation? No way.

What keeps me at my current job is that I'm essential to the business and very well respected. I know I could push for a lot more money or work as a consultant but that's just not my thing. If I need a challenge, I've got plenty of hobbies to keep me busy.

It sounds like me! :D

Back