• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

World's Second Largest Aquarium in HD

Fantastic...thanks for sharing!

After watching this, I'm wondering with all that fish moving back and forth, you know that move where two people are walking towards each other and one tries to move out of the way in one direction and the other prson move in the same direction and then when they correct they correct in the same direction, all while getting closer, until they eventually bump into each other. Do fish do that and how come we never see it?

This will go down as one of my favorite "off topic" posts on Prime. Didn't know whale sharks, albeit small ones, were/can be kept in captivity. Great post. Thanks.

After watching this, I'm wondering with all that fish moving back and forth, you know that move where two people are walking towards each other and one tries to move out of the way in one direction and the other prson move in the same direction and then when they correct they correct in the same direction, all while getting closer, until they eventually bump into each other. Do fish do that and how come we never see it?

Fish very rarely bump into each other. The way they accomplish this is by use of a special organ referred to as the 'lateral line' .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_line

If two fishes bumped into each other and one or both became stunned , even if for a second or two , the stunned fish would become part of the food chain very , very quickly.

Fish very rarely bump into each other. The way they accomplish this is by use of a special organ referred to as the 'lateral line' .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_line

If two fishes bumped into each other and one or both became stunned , even if for a second or two , the stunned fish would become part of the food chain very , very quickly.

Thanks! You're very learned!

Ok but let's say two oncoming fish realize they are about to collide (using their Later Line). If one fish moves to its respective right and the other fish moves to its respective left, they will still collide (just like with people). Do fish all move to the right to avoid this collision? If so, it would be very predictable to catch fish since they will always dodge right.

I mean, it seems that the Lateral Line is no different than our human eyes which allow us to see and sense an oncoming collision. However, despite this advanced warning, I've seen and been in collisions where the two intercepting objects, in an attempt to avoid each other, actually keep dodging in the same direction and still collide. Just hang out at a busy airport or subway station and you'll see it all the time. I'm thinking an aquarium is like a busy airport and that's bound to happen to fish too, but it doesn't seem to, as far as I can see. Granted it will probably be very rare, but with a many fish, in as many millions of miles of sea, the percentages say that it has to eventually happen, right?

That is a massive tank. Ive been really into collecting saltwater fish for almost a year now. I have a 120 gallon and Im working on starting a new 55 gallon reef tank. Also, Im about to go to the Baltimore Aquarium in a little over a week. I cant wait!! To bad it wont be as impressive as this tank. OH WELL:frown:

Fish will and can bump into each other but what the lateral line does is almost like you can feel the fish next to you moving before it moves. It is based on electromagnetic pulse and sensory perception. Think of radar with E.S.P.

Lateral lines have other uses as well. Take for example the scenario of two fish hitting each other and one is stunned. A predator like a shark will pick up the odd movements and within seconds zero in on the kill before the stunned fish is able to recover.

Sharks use their lateral line to hunt. Think of radar with smart-bomb accuracy that locks on to any irregular movement.

I was stationed in Okinawa for a year and never went to go see this Aquarium. :frown:

I was too busy partying and getting drunk on Gate 2 street and down in Naha! :biggrin::wink:

Thats awesome! Thanks for sharing....

Fish will and can bump into each other but what the lateral line does is almost like you can feel the fish next to you moving before it moves. It is based on electromagnetic pulse and sensory perception. Think of radar with E.S.P.

Lateral lines have other uses as well. Take for example the scenario of two fish hitting each other and one is stunned. A predator like a shark will pick up the odd movements and within seconds zero in on the kill before the stunned fish is able to recover.

Sharks use their lateral line to hunt. Think of radar with smart-bomb accuracy that locks on to any irregular movement.

It probably also helps that fish have 360 degrees to react, unlike people on a sidewalk. And there are a lot of people that, I swear, are dumber than mollusks.

So fish DO collide into each other! I HAVE to see that. Anybody got a video of it?

That was amazing! Was that a whale shark with the white dots that swims by a few times?

So fish DO collide into each other! I HAVE to see that. Anybody got a video of it?

Because of the lateral line this is very rare , mostly all you will ever see is minor impact.

If you have ever seen footage of fish caught in commercial fishing nets you will notice they can swim very close together without hitting.

Back