• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

would you change a masterpiece

This is not nsx related but i want to ask you guys a legit question. I have a rare Lotus Twin turbo(only 8 made). Would you guys modify the way it looks? If you had a rare NSX would youchange something that rreally cant be changed back? The newer Esprits have the round (Ferrari like) lights in the rear and IMO it makes the car look so much better than the damn Toyota lights it has now. Would you guys change it if you had the chance? I dont really have of a picture of the new setup. I am at odds with myself on this. Never bought the car for an investment and really am leaning towarrds doing it.

bill, if i were you, id see if i can get a nsx front end for your car, and an nsx back end for your car. that way to everyone else in the world, youd be driving the worlds greatest car, but in your mind youd be driving a lotus!

i dont think id mess with the lights, both ways looks fine. i do like the new style center exit exhaust alot though!that looks real good.

It's funny you should post on this subject as I was just at the Lotus dealership in Redwood City this morning and they had two Esprits on the showroom floor: an Anniversary model with the new taillights, and a 2002 with the CF spoiler and Toyota lights. IMHO, the '02 model looked so much better.

The Esprit is elegant in that the Giugiaro/Stevens design maintains a certain wedge like look to it that encompasses everything from the flat windshield to the angular body to the rectangular taillights. The new style round lights makes it look like its trying too hard to emulate the Ferrari look, and took away from the cohesiveness of the car's lines.

Bill, if you're not from the Bay Area, you really should have one of the local guys with a digital camera stop by the dealership and take a rear view picture of these two cars next to each other. I'm confident that you'll have second thoughts on the new lights.

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

------------------
Get Boosted!
www.boostedgroup.com

[This message has been edited by BoostedMR2 (edited 18 September 2002).]

Allan you crack me up, you really do? By the way, do they make such a kit?
biggrin.gif

Honestly now I think the newer lights look so much nicer even if they are a knockoff of the Ferrari. The only thing stopping me is the rarity of the car otherwise I would do it in a heartbeat. Can anyone post pictures of both? Dave I have not seen a real one yet but from the pics it just looks great. Allan I can't wait till tomorrow to get my baby back with the 6speed. My mechanic is raving about it. He says its the best upgrade ever done to the Lotus while still keeping it stock. The gears are placed closer together and is a whole lot quicker. At 75mph it registers 2400RPM whci means at redline in 6th I should be way up in the high 190smph. Cant wait to try it out.

Originally posted by bill92nsx:
At 75mph it registers 2400RPM whci means at redline in 6th I should be way up in the high 190smph. Cant wait to try it out.[/B]

On a race track that is for all you partypoopers out there
biggrin.gif

I also had to make the decision of whether to upgrade to the newer MR2 round lights on my car, or stick with the square ones. On the MR2, I like the Ferrari inspired lights better than on the Lotus. Of course, the MR2 is a whole lot less angular than the Lotus, which is why I think the look works better:

492535.jpg

vespremi1.jpg

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

------------------
Get Boosted!
www.boostedgroup.com

[This message has been edited by BoostedMR2 (edited 18 September 2002).]

hey bill, on my car, the black portion of the rear tail light housing is painted yellow to match the car, looks really good. i wouldnt worry about the value of your car by changing the rear lights, because you could always change it right back to stock since youll have all the pieces. i cant wait to hear about your car and how it runs with the six speed. i like my car more and more each day. i really cant wait for you to race eldiablo again in his viper and kick his butt!and i really cant wait to go drive my 42 mr2's!!!

Originally posted by ALLAN:
hey bill, on my car, the black portion of the rear tail light housing is painted yellow to match the car, looks really good.

Allan, I found one like yours and added it to my post above. Thanks for the kind words re: my updated lights, BTW.

I still prefer the look of the square lights on the Esprit, but when it comes down to it Bill should go with what makes him happy.

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

------------------
Get Boosted!
www.boostedgroup.com

I am with David. I dont care for the Ferrari knock-off lights. I think the original look much better.

Bill, why is yours a collectors edition? What is special about it? I am curious.

Bill, why is yours a collectors edition? What is special about it? I am curious.[/B][/QUOTE]

It is one of eight made (six remaining now unfortunately). It is specically made for track use but is street legal. Sort of like a Zanardi edition although to the extreme. Had a different ECU as well as different interior, rims(I hear the one of the most expensive out there about $7-8000), as well as brakes, suspension, rear spoiler, exhaust, front valence and a whole bunch of other upgrades.

By the way Allan I do not plan on ever selling the car so that is why I might do it. My car is black anyway so no need to color code the rear valence or anything.

everything is good bill, but dont you ever try to compare your lotus to a zanardi edition nsx! the zanardi is beyond comparison to such vehicles!

Originally posted by bill92nsx:
It is one of eight made (six remaining now unfortunately). It is specically made for track use but is street legal. Sort of like a Zanardi edition although to the extreme. Had a different ECU as well as different interior, rims(I hear the one of the most expensive out there about $7-8000), as well as brakes, suspension, rear spoiler, exhaust, front valence and a whole bunch of other upgrades.

Is it the Sport 350?
http://www.lotusespritworld.co.uk/EModels/350.html

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

------------------
Get Boosted!
www.boostedgroup.com

did I say zanardi ed.--bite my tongue. i can't believe i even mentioned Lotus and NSX in the same sentence never mind the ever-revered Zanardi
biggrin.gif
I shall sit in the corner facing the wll for this

yes, it looks like a ricer wing but its actually very useful at speeds over 150mph. Its made of carbon fiber and weighs next to nothing.

Bill.. which of your 4 cars is your favorite and why?

PS.. sweet colletion! but no MR2's? whats up with that
smile.gif

Back