• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Would you do PPI with Seller's mechanic?

Personally, I would want an independent review rather than relying on the selling dealership's mechanics - especially since someone mentioned this is the General Manager's personal car (kinda doubt the service center is going to ding their own car!).

I would also be sure to ask why there is a sticker for a 6speed gear shift in a 5speed car. Of course if there IS a 6spd in that 1991 then that is a whole new ball of wax and would throw up all sorts of red flags.

+1. Would reccomend an alternate Acura dealer with experience with the NSX.

Last edited:
Generally I would trust a mechanic to be impartial. After all if the car is being sold they're probably losing business anyway, so they have little reason to lie. However, there seems to be an extra element of conflict of interest in this case, so I would go elsewhere.

Thanks folks. Yes, the owner is the GM, so I imagine if anything ever needed fixed/done, it would be done for that car. I'm in the process of finding someone else to check it out. I have an old friend in the area, and his Dad is going to ask his mechanic at BMW if he could recommend someone. If he says that the BMW could do the PPI with Compression, should I just let him? I don't think there is anyone around there that works on NSX

Personally, I would want an independent review rather than relying on the selling dealership's mechanics - especially since someone mentioned this is the General Manager's personal car (kinda doubt the service center is going to ding their own car!).

I would also be sure to ask why there is a sticker for a 6speed gear shift in a 5speed car. Of course if there IS a 6spd in that 1991 then that is a whole new ball of wax and would throw up all sorts of red flags.

For certain '91-'92 cars, there was a range of VINs that fell in the transmission "snap ring" problem.

If this car was indeed within snap ring range, then the solution is to repair the OEM 5-speed (what I did on mine), or replace it with something else. My guess is that they went with a 6-speed since it makes the car a lot more enjoyable to drive.

If you're looking for a "numbers-matching" car, this probably wouldn't be for you. However, drive a 5-speed and then a 6-speed and you'll be sold on the 6-speed. It's about a $6k mod....

Dave

You ccan verify the snap ring range. Their mechanics can do that and I'd trust them to verify it. You can tell by the number on the tranny. Don't worry with a compression test - the car has 33k miiles on it. There should be records of maintenance on the car. That's easy enough to check. If you can't find a good independant I wouldn't sweat it much. The cars had a clutch at 26k miles - drve it - you'll know if it runs well. Check the AC make sure the fan works on all speeds. You're getting a new TB/WP - not much can go wrong. Check the hoses. Man the car is hardly broken in. I wouldn't sweat it much.

For certain '91-'92 cars, there was a range of VINs that fell in the transmission "snap ring" problem.
As noted by tbromley above, the problem is identifiable based on the transmission number, not the VIN. However, the snap ring problem started showing up on some 1991 NSX's with VIN's ending in MT002400 or so, so if the VIN on a '91 is much less than that, it probably was not in the snap ring range when it left the factory.

If this car was indeed within snap ring range, then the solution is to repair the OEM 5-speed (what I did on mine), or replace it with something else. My guess is that they went with a 6-speed since it makes the car a lot more enjoyable to drive.
Interesting tidbit of info - thx for sharing, I didn't know that.

Back