• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wow! Didn't know you could polish them that well!

I've been using my OEM Gun Metal Gray wheels for racing and after a while they started getting pretty scratched.

I was REALLY impressed. I had no idea polishing (not even chrome) could do this.

This is what they look like when polished.
Grass.jpg

Profile.jpg

Solo.jpg

Garage.jpg

Dave

I spoke to a friend who does polishing, and he said that the quality of material on NSX wheels is better than anything else out there. No other wheel, OEM or aftermarket, polishes out better.

Your wheels look beautiful, BTW.

Dave did you polish them or send them out? If so where? Thanks

WOW... those look super clean. now time to find those polished center caps. i forgot where i saw it; but someone had polished caps that said 'nsx' inside of it. just a suggestion.... to match the finish of your wheels... looks nice..

Glad you all like them. I'm with you on the center caps. Just hadn't gotten there yet. My buddy recommended this place and they did a great job. Pretty low frills and I wouldn't go there in the middle of the night but middle of the day was fine. I'm a sucker for a good deal ;-)

They say wheels are 70-90 depending on complexity. Mine were 90 because they had to take all the paint off too.

My understanding is the way they do it is by alternating gritty to finer polish until the get it to where they want it. I dropped them off and got them back 2 days later. One recommendation they have is that you have them dipped in clear coat aftewards which adds about 40 per wheel. It's basically clear paint like on our cars but it will make it so you don't have to use mothers to polish them as they begin to dull.

The shop is:
Speedway Metal Finishing
Address: 1401 E Pomona St, Santa Ana, CA 92705
Phone: (714) 542-7778

Dave

by any chance does that shop chrome dip wheels as well? i have a friend who has a set of lorinser LM5's for his CL, and wants to chrome them... any suggestions?

Your wheels look really great. I was always lead to believe that you shouldn't use any type of abrasive or you will take the clear layer off the wheels which protect them.

Pro's and cons?

SoCal-NSX said:
They say wheels are 70-90 depending on complexity. Mine were 90 because they had to take all the paint off too.
Is that for one rim, or all four of 'em?

Thanks for the info. :)

I would be careful with chroming any wheel... the chroming process puts a lot of stress on the metal and fatigues it.. go to any wheel shop and they will tell you that chrome'd wheels ALWAYS have less structural integrity than before they were dipped....

go for zoom zoom not bling bling.. polish them.. they'll be lighter and stronger ;)

does speedway do polishing of other automotive parts besides wheels such as intake manifolds and what not? I've been lookin for a good place the past week and really want to get it done this week.

SoCal-NSX said:
I dropped them off and got them back 2 days later.

Sorry for the silly question but did you just take the wheels to them, tires on/off, or did you drop off the whole car?

Yes they do other body parts. They showed me some engine parts they had done. They also said a lot of guys are getting stuff done in a translucent blue, yellow, red, green, etc paint. Kinda neat but not for our cars.

They need the tires off in order to do the wheels and they don't have a garage. I have two sets of wheels and tires so for me it was easier:
- went to Costco and had the old tires taken off and disposed of
- took the wheels to them
- took polished wheels and new tires I ordered from discounttire to them and had them remounted
- They are now sitting in my garage wondering why I'm not driving to Pharump this weekend.

If you don't want to wait until you need to change tires AND the car is your daily driver so you can't afford to lose the car for 2-3 days while they polish them, I'm not sure how you pull this off unless you can carpool for a few days and leave it on blocks.

Dave

Matching Center Caps

I had Skip's Wheel Werks polish my 1995 wheels. Skip is THE MAN for wheel work in the Portland Oregon area. He made similar comments about the high quality of factory NSX wheels. He charges $150/wheel including dismounting and remounting tires. Don't know if he would discount for bare wheels brought in. My wheels are painted MidnightPearl on the inside surface.

I'm trying to attach a picture of one of my wheels before I got the custom center caps discussed below.

Custom center caps which match the polished wheel are available at http://www.conceptualsystemsdesigns.com/products.html. Joseph is a prime member. Contact him about caps to match polished wheels. The caps he made for me look great. The letters are also MidnightPearl.

Attachments

• polished front wheel_small.jpg
    polished front wheel_small.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 392
looks great but seems pricey when you consider the extra $40 to make sure it is protected. I like the OEM wheels, but $520 for all four could be put towards a good looking new aftermarket set up. I guess it is personal preference though. They look better than brand new.

Back