• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wrap vs. Paint to save money

I had a few cracks (spiderweb) in the paint on my urethane wings west front spoiler. I decided to have a professional install 3M gloss vinyl wrap as a more flexible/resilient surface (~$225). I use Xpel clearbra on another car but once the cracks are already there (especially in black), they will show through clear.

I am very pleased with the initial results...we'll see how it holds up.

My experience (with gloss black wrap) is that surface prep is NEARLY as important with wrap as it is with paint. In other words, if you think you are going to save money on surface prep (between paint and wrap) by simply wrapping over your surface flaws...you will probably (at least with gloss black) see the imperfections show through.

I prepped with 320 grit sandpaper and (pictures don't won't show the detail) but I am happy!

I have peeling clear coat from a weathered 91 NSX. It also has a few dings. Will Vinyl adhere and stay on the car if the clear coat is gone in some parts and the paint is a little rough to the touch? If not, what type of prep work would you advise.

My guy said ~400 grit...dings will show...but fill is easier if you then sand and wrap.
It will not adhere to flaking...so knock all that down/off with the sandpaper.

Back