• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WTF is up with the stock market and economy..

<<rant>>
WTF? :confused: :eek::mad: 4%!?! in one day. I should have cashed my 401k and ROTH and taken the taxes and hit and I would have been ahead!??

..I've put about 10% of my funds in the last 10 years and I'm pretty sure I'm down, I don't think I even have my principal.

I SHOULD HAVE SPENT THE MONEY ON NSX PARTS, OR PHYSICALLY BURNED IT - I would have had more enjoyment out of it!??

Ergh... just ranting, feel free to join.

<//rant>

I didn't log in to my Vanguard account yesterday, and I'm not going to look at it today, either. Or tomorrow.

I'll just be happy and think about the long term.

I feel your pain. With what I lost in 2008, I could've paid off both my primary home mortgage and my rental property mortgage, and have an extra $2k per month play money.

<<rant>>
WTF? :confused: :eek::mad: 4%!?! in one day. I should have cashed my 401k and ROTH and taken the taxes and hit and I would have been ahead!??

..I've put about 10% of my funds in the last 10 years and I'm pretty sure I'm down, I don't think I even have my principal.

I SHOULD HAVE SPENT THE MONEY ON NSX PARTS, OR PHYSICALLY BURNED IT - I would have had more enjoyment out of it!??

Ergh... just ranting, feel free to join.

<//rant>

Don't play in the market unless you can afford to lose the money........ ALL OF IT. Unless you are planning to retire in the next few months who the hell cares what the account balance is or how it's doing ??

Re: WTF is up with the stock market and economy.. especially w/ the Dear Leader in of

If you are just going to sit there and hope the market will recover when you need it to that might not be a good strategy. Bear markets have lasted 1-2 decades, 8-12 on average in the equity markets. There was a near 20 year period of no stockmarket returns throught the 60's and 70's. Not only can it happen again, it will.

How old are you, SLOW? If you are under 50 and not planning on retiring in the next 5 years then you are fine. I know its ugly to look at but we will get past these times into more (regular) prosperous ones.

How old are you, SLOW? If you are under 50 and not planning on retiring in the next 5 years then you are fine. I know its ugly to look at but we will get past these times into more (regular) prosperous ones.

This is a BS argument. I lost 30-50% in value. It's going to take yeras, maybe decades to get this back. If I was smarter/maybe less prudent, I would have taken it out/transferred into a MMA when it was at 15K.

In 5-10 years, the value might be equal to what it was.. SIX MONTHS AGO.. but still, wtf?

BTW: I got an infraction for this post :confused:

Im no expert. but if i even had a savings that looks anything like some of yours id cash it ALL out and buy land. the land wont dissappear like your accounts can. But I could always be wrong, but i doubt it because i would have a ton of land right now if i could, maybe a couple forclosed homes too.

Im no expert. but if i even had a savings that looks anything like some of yours id cash it ALL out and buy land. the land wont dissappear like your accounts can. But I could always be wrong, but i doubt it because i would have a ton of land right now if i could, maybe a couple forclosed homes too.

If you buy land in parts of Michigan you will have Zero equity:biggrin:
On average homes appreciate 3% thats not appreciation considering that covers inflation.:tongue:

For the common folk who lacks resources to predict socio-politico-economic demographs, land and tangible goods are safer, but if you can predict the future stock is where the money is at.

We have at least 2-3 more years of this mess.

So what your saying is the person who loses it all in the stock market is making the right decision and the guy that buys land is wrong? LOL

This is a BS argument. I lost 30-50% in value. It's going to take yeras, maybe decades to get this back. If I was smarter/maybe less prudent, I would have taken it out/transferred into a MMA when it was at 15K.

In 5-10 years, the value might be equal to what it was.. SIX MONTHS AGO.. but still, wtf?

Actually its not. If you can time the market perfect to pull out at the right time and then put back in, you would be a GAZILLIONAIRE and you wouldn't need a retirement account.

My point is you can't time the market.

If you have money that you NEED then it should ALREADY be in an MMA. This is LONG term money. Keep telling yourself that. LONG term money.

So what your saying is the person who loses it all in the stock market is making the right decision and the guy that buys land is wrong? LOL

As long as the dollar continues to lose value, neither is the right decision. In property location is key and the stock market having the resources, tools and network available to buy or sell and most don't have that combination.

Those who put money aside to retire in 2007 lost 20-45% the mistake most made was listening to the old news, long term investment.lol Not entirely their fault they were just listening to the misleaders.

Things are on sale right now. If you're talking 401K money, don't worry about it. Look at it again in ten years. I hope the market stays depressed while I acquire more shares. When I go to retire, I hope the market rebounds and all my shares rise with it.

Steve

Things are on sale right now. If you're talking 401K money, don't worry about it. Look at it again in ten years. I hope the market stays depressed while I acquire more shares. When I go to retire, I hope the market rebounds and all my shares rise with it.

Steve

..I keep thinking the chances are decent that we'll have a nuclear war, a dollar run, a reap depression again, a massive terrorist attack, a meteror.... me diying...and then my 401k will be worth asymptotically close to a big fat ZERO :)

... I know I'll be like "DAMN! Why didn't I build 3 500RWHP NSX with that money instead!!" :confused:

Steve

What is lost is lost. Assuming it will gain 25-45% in ten years the gain will average out with the loses.

What is lost is lost...

I am sorry but I really have to disagree with your point. There is nothing lost, except on a "paper basis". The exception is if you need the money now, and by that I mean ALL of the money. Stock markets go up and they go down. You have good years and bad years. What is important is where you will be at that time when you need the money. Ask me how I know. I am retired and I live on my interest and dividends. I was also a stock broker and went through this with clients when I worked in that profession.

My money managers and I utilize Monte Carlo theory in terms of how much money can I take out of my portfolio each year given market swings and interest rates. Did I loose money on paper last year? You bet ya. Am I worried? Nope. Will I starve? Nope. I'll do fine over the long term.

Nope, don't like looking at my portfolio shrink, but in the long term who cares? For years my guys gave me 18% - 20% compounded returns. Now I am off 30%. People really need to look at long term investments versus instant gratification. What's the value of my portfolio today? Wrong question.

Again to your point, if you haven't sold it, you haven't lost anything...

The best investment right now is debt if you can get the money locked into these low rates. Debt is going to be VERY cheap to pay back in the future. I am gttin money right now in the mid 4's.

As for the stock market, well I have lost close to ONE MILLION dollars this year in net worth. :( Should have just bought an ENZO! It would have been nice to cash it out and and have the cash on hand to arbitrage these fire sale prices on tangible goods that are being blown out the door. The part that worries me the most is unless Obama pulls a rabbit out of his ass I think things are going to get A LOT worse.

I am sorry but I really have to disagree with your point. There is nothing lost, except on a "paper basis". The exception is if you need the money now, and by that I mean ALL of the money. Stock markets go up and they go down. You have good years and bad years. What is important is where you will be at that time when you need the money. Ask me how I know. I am retired and I live on my interest and dividends. I was also a stock broker and went through this with clients when I worked in that profession.

My money managers and I utilize Monte Carlo theory in terms of how much money can I take out of my portfolio each year given market swings and interest rates. Did I loose money on paper last year? You bet ya. Am I worried? Nope. Will I starve? Nope. I'll do fine over the long term.

Nope, don't like looking at my portfolio shrink, but in the long term who cares? For years my guys gave me 18% - 20% compounded returns. Now I am off 30%. People really need to look at long term investments versus instant gratification. What's the value of my portfolio today? Wrong question.

I understand and I see your point. I have only been doing the stock thing for 8 years. For other noobies who are on an 80/20 aggressive path(long term) that would mean another 8-10 years to get back what is lost which brings the grand total to nearly 20 years tied up funds and by then breaking even with slight gains. Also not all standard aggressive portfolios pay high yield dividends. Heck I could have bought and sold rolex watch's on craigslist and made a thousand dollars a watch:biggrin:.

I know in the long run I will get back and make some if its preordained. :)

Ya'll know that I have been *very* pessimistic for the last 12-18 months. I have made the (utterly ridiculous sounding) call that most banks would fail or be diluted to oblivion. It happened / is happening. Most of Europe's banks are now effectively nationalized.

This credit contraction, and the impact it will continue to have on the real global economy will persist and it will be devastating.

(and for my stock picks, I'm only "long-term" long smith & wesson and a few security products firms).

Happy 2009! :rolleyes:

I think the Dow dropping another 50% is more likely than a recovery.
Looking at the Dow priced in Gold, we have a long ways to fall.

I think a fair price would be dow 6,000. I've heard some people calling for Dow 4,000.

We'll see...

Looks like BAC bank of america will survive but citibank won't.

Back