• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WTF, my window *cable* broke!

mfh

Registered Member
Hey everyone...

My window fell down today and I thought it was the regulator, but I took my door apart with my friends and it turns out the cable broke right next to the spool (attached to the motor).

Is there an easy/cheap fix for this (such as a new spool assembly), or am I forced to buy a whole new regulator/motor/spool assembly?

Thanks for any help!

All,

Okay, just found the FAQ page on the window regulator assembly (where did the link to the FAQ go?). My cable-end holder is fine, being a late model with the reinforced blocks. Looks like I'll be giving Window Regulators USA in Brooklyn a call.

FYI my car is a 2000 with 37k miles.

Oddly enough the cable did not fray when it snapped - it was a pretty clean break. This leads me to believe a drop of water got onto the cable and rusted it through, so it wasn't just a pure stress failure.

keywords for search: window regulator snap break drop broken cable rust stress tension won't roll up

Thanks!

if you search the forums, there is a guy that rebuilds the regulators for ~$100

Last edited:
Window Regulators USA did a good job with my regulator, fast service and reasonable..at least you did not break any tabs off the bottom of the window, one of mine broke and I ended up replacing the whole window at the same time!

Back