• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

yes, I've stopped using it now

I put air in this (OEM 5-spoke) wheel's tire about 300 miles ago and I didn't notice this crack even starting. But today:

16front.jpg

16back.jpg

Probably hit a bump or pothole at just the right time and angle and hit the soft spot on the wheel. My aftermarket wheel did the same thing last summer while at the River Run in PA, never felt that I hit anything and while washing the car noticed an even finer crack then what you show. It happens when all the elements present a rare but real scenario of the right (or wrong for drivers) timing..........cannot be fixed, so time for new wheels.

Yes, definitely not fixable.
I'm just glad I noticed it when the car was parked and not, well, you know.
Moral of the story for me is that inspecting wheels often is a good idea.

My vote is on someone dropped a breaker bar on it or something then propagated over time as davidf me tioned.

I have a hard time believing that was from even the nastiest of pot holes. Those fat fives have a pretty big sidewall, and wouldn't produce the chip that the crack is clearly propagating from. Also, I think cast wheels are more prone to "pot-hole cracking". The fat fives are forged if I remember correctly!

Moral of the story is that everyone's wheels are still safe :) just make sure not to bonk them with your tools :).

Lucas

Back