• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Yoko HO's gone in 3K miles?

Just happened to be checking my tire pressures this afternoon, in prep for tomorrow's run to North Central Jersey. Front tires are fine. Rears are BALD! They were new when I bought the car at 29K. Now at 32.5K they are bald. How is that possible? I notice the wear indicates a slight positive camber, but no scubbing evidence of toe in. And I don't drive hard (except with those bad influences I run into at Watkins Glen!) Are the Yoko HO's very soft or do I possibly have an alignment problem? The rears are 245/40ZR17s - Yokohama A-022 HOs.

My Pirelli PZero Nero rear tires are bald after 4 weeks and 5,000 miles....ugh. :(

...can an alignment problem cause the tire to wear evenly across the tread, but wear prematurely??

Dennis in SE PA said:
Are the Yoko HO's very soft or do I possibly have an alignment problem?
Neither.

Rear tires can wear rapidly, even on a perfectly-aligned NSX. Typical treadlife for the A022H (assuming no track use) is 4-8K miles. Front tires should last 2-3 times as long.

Some tires will last somewhat longer than the Yokohama A022H; the trade-off for the greater treadlife is usually less precise handling.

However, given that yours went at 3K, which is unusually low, I would bet that those tires that were claimed to be new when you bought your car, probably had a thousand miles or two on them. I would also bet that if you replaced them with new A022H tires, and changed absolutely nothing, you would get at least 4-5K miles on the new set, maybe more.

Although 3,500 miles on tires are not very long, you have to consider this number falls within the range of tire expectancy for the NSX. I'd figure anywhere from 4,000 to 8,000 miles on rear tires for the NSX depending on driving condition, temperature, tire compound, etc is normal. I wouldn't be suprised if your alignment is just fine.

However, when you purchase new tires you could buy tires that have a harder compound which will tend to last longer with everything being equal. The stock tires are definitely grippy but that comes at a price!

I should add

The tires spent 4 hours on the track at Watkins Glen and they were not "Parade Laps" if you know what I mean.
OK, so just like Pirelli P7's on my old 911 - they stick but go away quick. I'll take the "stick" :)

Ennesssex said:

However, when you purchase new tires you could buy tires that have a harder compound which will tend to last longer with everything being equal. The stock tires are definitely grippy but that comes at a price!

Also expect to give up some of that crisp NSX handling if you forgo the stock Yoko tires. I put Dunlop 9000 on my car and hated them because they were not as tight as the Yokos.
I bought up all the 91-92 wheels with tire that I found for sale and burned through them. The price of Yokos and the time frame they lasted made buying a new set about the same as a 50-75% worn set with rims look good.
I hope to get a thousand miles out of the tires on my Lightning. It is almost impossible to accelerate without spinning the tires.

Also expect to give up some of that crisp NSX handling if you forgo the stock Yoko tires.

Exactly my point, if you choose to buy pricey soft tires that are sticky....you lose on longevity. If you choose to buy cheaper hard compound tires you lose grip. Basically, you find the needs you have with a tire and stick with it.

I love the Yokos but they sure seem soft to me - after a half hard drive on a warm day the gravel from my driveway sticks to the tires. That doesn't happen with the Yoko AVID H4s on my Legend or my wife's Accord and those are semi-performance tires.:cool:

Sorry I didn't get to meet you today!!!

My rear tires were gone in "60 seconds" oops I mean 4,500 miles or so, and I didn't have any "hot laps" on them, some spirited driving yes. My fronts are now needing replacement and I have 8,500 miles on them, so I plan on replacing my OE Bridgestones with more of the same, I love the feel, and even though I don't "track" the car, I bought it for the "feel" and I'm not willing to compromise that. However, when the 4 tires need replacing at once, I will entertain trying either the toyos or kumhos as I hear that they feel and handle well, and might have slightly better tread life, but knowing me, I'll probably just stick to the Bridgestones unless I can drive somebody's 02 or later with the tires on it before committing and being disappointed-JMHO

RPM217 said:
I'll probably just stick to the Bridgestones unless I can drive somebody's 02 or later with the tires on it
Maybe you'll have that chance October 8-12, with all the NSXs that will be gathered together you-know-where in your home state...

I'll be there !!!

And look forward to meeting some of the "luminaries" I've been hearing about for the last year, such as "Ken" Lud, and many others. I have had the privledge of meeting many of the NE crew, although I was disappointed that my car had to be flatbedded yesterday instead of driven. Thanks for all your help to the community-see you in October-:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I've still got OEM Yokos on my car that have 6k on the rears and still have plenty of life left even with very 'spirtited' street driving. I love the tires, but don't spin them - which sounds similar to everyone elses methods too.

Too much tire life is not neccessarily a problem for me, but all this talk has made me wonder if my alignment is off!

Back