• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Zanardi #8 on Ebay... JH4NA2120XT000134

Talk is cheap but it takes money to buy whiskey.

There were few people who really wanted one of these cars the first go round. They in general just weren't that desirable. Sure, you and I might love them but even with that, only one of us did.:biggrin: Drink up.

With all low volume, unique and unusual cars the real buying pool is small but ... you only need one buyer. No one knows that better than you.:wink:

You might be curious about what this car would bring but Mike, I don't think you bought yours expecting it to be a appreciable investment. I think you bought it because of lust and love.:cool: Salute!
I envy you.

I went and looked at it tonight. First off, Mike is a super nice guy, and has more knowledge of the car and what it represents than I originally thought. He has worked with Alex Zanardi for years, and has even driven the coveted #1 of 50. BUT - to the car. All of the information he posted is accurate. The panels are straight with consistent gaps, and the seals are in good shape. The wheels have minimal curb rash. The triangular drivers side door seal that the window slides into (connecting the A-pillar and top of the door panel) is bent outward a bit, but I had this issue on mine as well, and have seen it on several others. The B-pillar on the passenger side looks to have been resprayed. Not a glaring difference, but I'm picky. Easy fix none the less.

He pulled the car outside prior to my arrival, and the sky let loose right as I was pulling in. So, unfortunately I'm not able to provide a lot of feedback on the paint. From what I could see while it was wet, the paint looks to be in solid shape.

The interior is nearly perfect. Great condition, and it has that NSX smell. I never knew that smell would be so intoxicating. Smelled just like the first one I bought.

All in all, my review is a bit limited due to the weather. He offered to let me come back and do a once over when the weather is better, but I'm going to have to do some thinking first. I've got other plans at this time, and I'm just not sure if those plans will fit me having this car. On the other hand, this is 'The Car' for me. It would be the last sports car I'd ever have to buy. To get any more exclusive, you really have to go big. So, my brain is on rapid fire already.

Cheers, because I'm gonna have to mix a drink.

Joe

Thanks for this write up Joe, it sounds like it is probably as the guy represented it and it sounds like he did his homework on the body work before he got it. I wish you luck if this is the car for you; i hope you are able to swing it somehow! I don't think you'll regret it. Interesting that they weren't in such big demand at the time but you know if kind of reminds me of Porsche when they developed the 964 in 93 they came out with a special model much like the Zanardi - it was basically a stripped down version of the 964 called the RS America. Others may remember that - you could add back options like the stereo, ac and othe gadget stuff that added wieght and now they are pretty collectible and command a high price especially the low mileage examples like with 45k miles. That would be low mileage - if you google the RS America you'll find a club and site dedicated to it and can draw the collectible comparisons.

The Zanardi is such a car and model - it may not have sold like crazy at the time but, hey, remember none of them did really. Now looking back we can realize the collectable potential and it is there. Ella's Daddy got a nice one. You have to be on the look out but this is the poor man's #8 - well let me rephrase - because of the body damage it commands less of a premium but in time it will be very desireable.

Once again - good luck and if it's meant to be it will be! All the best!

I went and looked at it tonight. First off, Mike is a super nice guy, and has more knowledge of the car and what it represents than I originally thought. He has worked with Alex Zanardi for years, and has even driven the coveted #1 of 50. BUT - to the car. All of the information he posted is accurate. The panels are straight with consistent gaps, and the seals are in good shape. The wheels have minimal curb rash. The triangular drivers side door seal that the window slides into (connecting the A-pillar and top of the door panel) is bent outward a bit, but I had this issue on mine as well, and have seen it on several others. The B-pillar on the passenger side looks to have been resprayed. Not a glaring difference, but I'm picky. Easy fix none the less.

He pulled the car outside prior to my arrival, and the sky let loose right as I was pulling in. So, unfortunately I'm not able to provide a lot of feedback on the paint. From what I could see while it was wet, the paint looks to be in solid shape.

The interior is nearly perfect. Great condition, and it has that NSX smell. I never knew that smell would be so intoxicating. Smelled just like the first one I bought.

All in all, my review is a bit limited due to the weather. He offered to let me come back and do a once over when the weather is better, but I'm going to have to do some thinking first. I've got other plans at this time, and I'm just not sure if those plans will fit me having this car. On the other hand, this is 'The Car' for me. It would be the last sports car I'd ever have to buy. To get any more exclusive, you really have to go big. So, my brain is on rapid fire already.

Cheers, because I'm gonna have to mix a drink.

Joe

There were few people who really wanted one of these cars the first go round. They in general just weren't that desirable. Sure, you and I might love them but even with that, only one of us did.:biggrin: Drink up.

With all low volume, unique and unusual cars the real buying pool is small but ... you only need one buyer. No one knows that better than you.:wink:

You might be curious about what this car would bring but Mike, I don't think you bought yours expecting it to be a appreciable investment. I think you bought it because of lust and love.:cool: Salute!
I envy you.

+1
IMO opinion the accident history kills it.
I don't think the car will do over 40k because of it, ever, but I've been wrong before.

It is such a rare car, but the Zanardi is mostly for the collector with deeper pockets than most. Most times a real collector wants an original unmolested example of whatever car he/she is collecting. This example though rare has damage history and kills the value, period.

I am by no means a collector, but I know when I was looking for my latest NSX, I could have bought ones newer and with less miles, but if there was accident history, I wasn't interested.

Once you are north of $40k you better be damned sure of what you are buying unless you have money to burn. Or you just plan on keeping the car for generations.

Just my .02

Last edited:
so someone needs to compare the selling prices of na2 coupes to zanardis,maybe there is no premium:confused:

You might be curious about what this car would bring but Mike, I don't think you bought yours expecting it to be a appreciable investment. I think you bought it because of lust and love.:cool: Salute! I envy you.

Appreciate the kind words, Big Joe. You are correct, I didnt buy this car as an investment or to profit, I do this for a living:biggrin: I always wanted a NA2 coupe and this car kinda fell in my lap. I really found it by accident. I do love these cars. To me, just opening the garage, having a drink (whisky or vodka) and just admiring my babies is the perfect end to any stressful work day or whenever life throws you a curveball.

Attachments

• 129.jpg
    129.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 128.jpg
    128.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 130.jpg
    130.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 209
Wow! That is a deal for a Zanardi even if it has some re-paint prior. Hopefully a Primer got it.:smile:

Doh...it didn't sell. Oops should have looked at the ad.

Last edited:
Just bought the car. Shows very well Let you know more once I inspect
it further

I hope you were aware of some of its history before you took the plunge. Congrats on getting it. No matter what, it is considered the pinnacle of the NSX.

Nice, Congrats! Welcome to exclusive club of Zanardi ownership! :wink:

Just bought the car. Shows very well Let you know more once I inspect
it further

Congratulation Robert!! Do tell us more about #8 when you get a chance. There has been a lot of speculations about her, and I hope you can clear up some of her history for us. She does look very nice from the photos on Ebay!! Again, congrats! She is an awesome ride!

Good a primer got it- want to hear all about it - hope it's as good as I think it might be. Good for you - details .....:wink:

Tim, one post does not make him a primer:tongue::tongue:

Robert, I'm just playing with Tim, congratulations on your purchase, hope all works out for you and the car and welcome to prime...

Tim, one post does not make him a primer:tongue::tongue:

Robert, I'm just playing with Tim, congratulations on your purchase, hope all works out for you and the car and welcome to prime...

I could give him some of mine.....:biggrin::tongue:

I hope you were aware of some of its history before you took the plunge. Congrats on getting it. No matter what, it is considered the pinnacle of the NSX.

In the US that is:biggrin:

I envy you.

When I purchased my Zanardi #17 new in '99 it had been sitting on the dealer's showroom floor for about 3 months.

New NSX's were never very good sellers for Acura dealers in general - expensive, slow selling inventory was the feeling I got from management.

Looking back, my S/C Z was the favorite of all my cars....

8860Zanardi_.jpg

No, great dedicated track car. :biggrin:

Was the history on this thing so horrible that it would be "restoration project" or "dedicated track car"?

It looked fine on the ebay auction. To me, restoration project or dedicated track car means some serious, but repairable issues for the former and pretty much salvage title for the latter. This car appeared to be pretty much the typical 4+ owner used sports car only the history was actually known rather than speculation and guess work...

Back