• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ZDDP vs Lubromoly mos2

I'm trying to sort out the vast array of opinions regarding the best additive that should be used with Mobil ! to get the best protection for my 91. Some say Mobil 1 by itself is sufficient, some say A ZDDP zinc additive does the job best while others prefer a Moly additive for best results. With out a side by side comparison using identical engines with the two or three different products ,really, how would you really know which system works best? Any thoughts. Thanks

Yes a good syn is all you need. I perfer pennzoil platnium. Mobil just has good marketing. Dosent mean it's the best. Infact pennzoil platnium was the first to be approved for all the 2011 gm cars witch now have a new standard. Witch if not used void the warranty. Sucks for the new owners that aren't awear and the dealer didn't tell them before buying.

I add ZDDP to my 1968 Triumph engine as it purportedly helps with extending the camshaft life of the "flat tappet" engine. ZDDP was used in higher concentrations in oil manufactured back in the day but has since been used in smaller amounts due to emissions restrictions. More modern ohc engines should not require high levels of ZDDP.

Peter

Attachments

• Image022a1small.jpg
    Image022a1small.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 641
I add ZDDP to my 1968 Triumph engine as it purportedly helps with extending the camshaft life of the "flat tappet" engine. ZDDP was used in higher concentrations in oil manufactured back in the day but has since been used in smaller amounts due to emissions restrictions. More modern ohc engines should not require high levels of ZDDP.

Peter

ZDDP also clogs cats.

Peter

This is exactly correct, there is no need for zddp in the NSX. And Yes it'll clog your cats and O2 sensors.

I do not believe in any additives in oil, I see them as a band aid solution.

Last edited:
EPA wanted zinc removed ,forced manu. to extend warranty on cats, zinc hurts cats ,manu. specified oil with out zinc , see how easy EPA got what they wanted without being the bad guy ! 1978 i was an inspector for nys dmv, part of the first task force to bring emission insp to the state, had meetings at many location in the down state area with shop owners and their legislature reps and state senators , all the politicians vowed to vote down this new law being pushed by the EPA (jimmy carter gave the EPA control of the fed highway funds to force compliance )at one of these meetings I was working with a rep from Denver and told him it looked like it would be voted down , He said "young inspector go get your Commisoners Regulations ,he showed me a new amendment to the regs , in 1977 state legislature gave the comm. power to inspect emissons when deemed necessary , so all the politicians voted it down (knowing the comm.would over rule and sign it in and retain the funding ) this way they could tell their constituants it was not their fault the comm. was the bad guy ,:wink:

Back