• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Zetoolman v.3 Sub Box Review

At the epicenter of the Zombie Apocalypse
I posted this in the vendor forum but I think it belongs here as well. Read on....

I just installed the new Version 3 Zetoolman Sub Box with the Earthquake SWS10 subwoofer and I've got one word to say. WOW!

I had been using a custom made box with a JL 8W3v2D4 8" subwoofer for about the last 2 years. The bass output was more than adequate but I always wanted more. Well now I have it. My system is currently powered by a JL 300/4 with 2 channels driving the speakers in the doors and the other 2 channels bridged to drive the sub with 150 watts.

The bass from the Zetoolman/Earthquake combo is nice and tight and it produces the "kick" that I really love in hard rock recordings. You can feel the pedal striking the bass drum. The Earthquake is a very efficient speaker as well. Before with the 8" JL I had the Subwoofer setting on my Alpine at +14. Now with it set at only +8 I'm getting even more bass.

The installation was pretty straighforward. Printed instructions are included to show what needs to be moved and how to re-locate the PS box if you have one. Essentialy besides moving the PS box, you must relocate the SRS harness to the top of the footwell area and remove 5 mounting bosses that the original Bose crap bolted to. They are simply spot welded onto the floor panel and pried out easily. I used a Dremel with a grinding wheel to smooth down the area around a few of the spot welds.

The sub does not intrude at all into the footwell area therefore sacrificing no leg room whatsoever. The factory carpet fits right back over it and you'll never know it's there until you crank some tunes. I'm VERY impressed with the construction of the box and especially with the quality of the sound. You will be too!

Last edited:
Hugh , I just got mine and cant wait to get it hooked up , thanks for the write up , on another note. can you tell me what type of speaker the rear center speaker is (Bose factory91) , size ect (the one betwen the seats-center) some sort of mid range ? any specs ?? link ?

Thanks....

It's 3" or so in diameter. I believe it was a mid-high range design used for "fill". Just more Bose crap. I removed it and replaced it with the speaker from my Nokia hands-free kit. You can simply ignore it.

L5:

The center Bose speaker is quite small and not that useful. However, since I still use the stock head unit, I pulled the small power amp out of the Bose floor speaker (that got replaced with a toolbox) and continue to use the center channel. My door speakers are upgraded with an amp driving them. In other words, the only stock OEM sound remaining in my NSX is the head unit and the center channel speaker.

You can keep the speaker funtional, but I recommend you connect a switch to turn the center channel on and off. I find the center channel is good when a passenger is in the car, but for the lonely driver, I prefer the center channel off - better sound image.

Shaun

Supercar said:
Sooo Zetoolman, any news on a right hand drive woofer enclosures?:confused:

I have said many times, I need a RH car to work on. No takers! Plus, I would need LOTS of pre-paid orders to offset the cost for such a limited market!

Find me a car in So. California!

Back