• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

zex nitrous

has anyone installed a zex system on their nsx?
any idea which wire is the output voltage lead on the throttle position sensor? also, would disabling the tcs from the tcs box affect the operations of the t.p.s.? i ran a voltage meter to the tps plug and it displayed a reading, however when i opened the throttle to wot, it did not increase the voltage reading, which according to zex should happen. any ideas?

thanks

I was thinking of installing the zex myself. let me know when u have found a solution to your problem. I think this is the best kit cuz it doesn't use huge, conspicous solenoids.

I have a buddy that lives in town that has been running a zex kit for about a year or so now. He loves it. Uses the master control switch on the drivers door panel to arm and disarm the system. Looks and works great according to him. I too was going to get the kit but decided to go BBSC.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

how much hp can we shoot? 100shot max? or can go higher? would a wet kit give me more hp? which one is preferable for the nsx?

I have a 150 wet shot on my NSX. If you go higher than 100 I would recommend using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to raise the fuel pressure.

92nsx, did your friend install it himself? if so, do you think i can drop him a line? i have a question regarding hooking up the lead to the throttle position sensor. thanks!

How much are these NOS kits going for, is it better to go with a dry or wet system, and how hard is it to install it or is it better to have a perfomance shop do it.

Interesting topic,

Actually i'm looking into nitrous as well.
Nitrous is very uncommon here in Europe (for the imports), so it's very hard to get an install overhere.

Since it's such an 'easy' install, though dangerous if done wrong, i was wondering if we could share our thoughts and gained information on this subject through the forum, to keep the 'hearsays' out of it, and the important information shared.

I read already a lot about it on the internet, though still have a lot of unanswered questions (why did RM stop selling there unit ???).

Mr. Brent Cobb seems to have a wide knowledge on this subject, and i got his (working) email just a few days back, and is happy to answer some questions.
Also others on this forum have succesfully nitrous installed (Ilya, Lud).

My number one priority is to keep my engine in one piece. If this doubles the cost, then thats how it will be.

Look at this: www.venom-performance.com
Sold by one of the vendors for approx. 1200.

Dutchy

Although I'm starting to sound like a broken record, I SHOULD have my car back tomorrow with a wet NOS 50 shot on top of a CTSC w/the 9 psi"ish" upgrade boost, CT headers, CT exhaust, CT Cold Air Intake. This should put just over 400hp at the wheels which was my goal. Everyone I spoke w/said go wet and NOS instead of Zex.

Since the place also has a DynoJet, I'll should be able to post before and after pulls. (I'm hoping to record it). I'll post them (hopefully) by Wednesday.

Primarily for DutchBlack but also any other europeans interested in nitrous, I have worked with nitrous on various cars and would highly recomend the Trevor Langford "wizards of NOZ" systems from here in the UK.
A wet system with direct port injection is technically the best solution especially when controlled by mapped ECU but probably only nessecary for shots over 100hp.
I.M.O. The reason the above kit is so much better than most of the competition is its designed primarily to be used as a progressive system with variable width pulse modulation of the solenoids feeding the nos/ fuel in incrementally.
This offers significatly improved mechanical sympathy over some "big shot" systems (though N2O is never really bad for the engine if done right) and is much better for the drivability.

We used to Run racecars up at santa pod and a mapped ECU linked into progressive rate nitrous with slide throttles and cdi was producing about 10-20% more power than an eqivalent "dumb shot" system.

A wet kit. Fogger nozzle system. 100hp shot 52 nitrous pill and a 33 fuel pill. You can run it all day on 93 Octane. I ran it for 2 years spraying consistantly - no damage. (head gasket finally broke, but that was after 120K miles!)

A direct port kit is a waste. too much work only to get the same result. 100 extra horsepower. If you go above that use race fuel or retard your timing. (Do NOT adjust your fuel pressure as advised above on any wet kit) foggers are fine up to 250hp.(If you dare and have it installed by a pro) No ECU mapping or programming needed. Take it from MANY years of experience using NOS on the NSX.

Call with any questions. (832) 489-5626
Bruce .

Nitrous Express or NOS.

Also, Brent Cobb IS a great source of info on NOS. He too can give you Real world answers. Great guy.

I wanted to get ZEX but with all recomendation from diffrent sources I decided to get Nitrous Express Wet kit 80 shot. It has shark nozzle and nice hookup to fuel line.

WET HIT IS THE WAY FOR NSX.

It is more work but it is much safer and halthier.

I got the MSD throttle activation switch witch you can adjust when you want nos to kick in.
Kick in pance factor with wet NOS is AWSOME
smile.gif

nsxlr8,
I tried calling u but I guess u left already from work? ok got a few questions. the wet kit that you have running in ur car is good for 100hp? wet kit meaning that I have to tap into my fuel rail to get additional fuel from special NOS and fuel injectors? or are we talking about a fogger that has a fuel line attached to it? do u have pics? that' will clarify things....cuz I am very interested in buying this kit from u....u do sell them don't u?

Madfast, I live in NJ I can show you may wet kit if you want to stop by. I hide it under the airvolves so you can't see it only the buttle in trunk.

NOS taps in to the fuel line after fuel filter and you run it to fuel solenoid that is connected to a fogger.

So you have one fogger with N2O and Fuel spraying in to intake
smile.gif

Then it is all about getting the right jets
N2O / Fuel

34/18 40HP

37/22 50HP

39/24 60HP

41/26 70HP

43/28 80HP

46/30 100HP

52/33 125HP

61/38 150HP (max for 1 nozzle)

Very simple and if you put your time to it you can make it all hidden
smile.gif

Wet kit is the way to go. I don't trust my MAF or ECU to supply the fuel
biggrin.gif

Anyone ever use a TNT kit on their NSX?

[This message has been edited by O-Ace (edited 16 July 2002).]

winreboot,
OOHHH! I C!!! heheheh thanks for clarifying it. how much are u shooting? 100shot? I would like to go 100shot.. I'd definitely like to check out ur car and ur set up and would like to see how u concealed it. I too would like to do that hehehehe. Which kit did you buy? and how do you activate? at the press of the horn button or just armed it and floor it and it kicks on? Thanks buddy u've clarified my all my question marks. hehehe

dave
smile.gif

I'm spraing 80hp I tried 100shot but my clutch can't take it
frown.gif
And this is a brand spanking new clutch with like 800 miles on it. The only bad thing is that when I was replacing my clutch I went for the OEM replacment not Dali, RM or some other aftermarket clutch. I didn't think of it up front. 100 is fine with OEM it just depends how hard you drive. NOS just like boost on turbo is adictive. Never enough
smile.gif

Are you going to the August 10 NSX meeting? I'm. I have the NOS wet kit with Nitrous Express fogger. The NOS fogger is little chip I think. It is activated by micro switch at WOT. I got MSD RMP activated switch but didn't have time to change it. I want the engine to be nice and clean of any extra cables. I have master OFF switch in ashtray so when I don't have the cylinder in trunk and foor it, it will not spray fuel in to the intake for no reason. I turn the master switch on when I have the cylinder in trunk and open.

Another must have is remote battle opener. Nitrous Express makes very nice one for 190$ So you don't have to get out of the car to open the main volve on the cylinder. You just press another button and it will open it for you
smile.gif
For night I never let the cylynder in the trunk but some times I forget and next day I wake up worry if the car is still there.

On a side I seen a car that a cylinder blow up becouse of stupid I mean stupid wiring. Battle wormer was left on and the guy went home to sleep. NOS is not flamable but pressure is tremendus. There is safty volve on the cylinder at 3000psi but they guy put guage and remove the safety volve. It will open your car like a can of sardines. I just have that picture burn in my mind so I try not to live the cylinder in the car for night even do it should not happen. It is very, very safe if used by normal people.
What is you e-mail I can send you some pictures tommorow of the setup.

Dave
[email protected]

Wow. I'm very sorry I missed your call. I think it might have read private on my caller ID. I don't answer those. that was the only call I missed today. A 100 shot is the 52 nitrous pill and the 32 fuel. YES I do sell the kit. It is a WET set up. I can give you pricing depending on the options. I recommend warmer and purge. Try me again tomorrow (Today) We can talk in depth. I sell my kits close to wholesale and include high quality fittings. It's the small details that count!

Bruce K.

AUTOLOGIC INC.

winreboot,
Thanks buddy I sent u email. keep me posted.

nsxlr8,
I tried calling u again and disabled my caller id. and u dind't pick up
frown.gif
anyway, I left u a short msg. do u think u can send me a pic of the kit too? @ [email protected] ?

NSXLR8,

I too am interested in your kit. If you can e-mail me some pics it would be most appreciated. Send to: [email protected]

A few questions:

Is it simple to install?

Does it come 100% complete, with all directions from start to finish?

How soon can I get one if I wanted one?

Thanks!

Chuck

------------------
'91 Black/Ivory NSX
'89 Gray/Gray F-16C

The kit is a basic kit and comes with EVERYTHING you need to install the kit from start to finish. There are options. They are.... Remote Bottle opener, Purge valve (Looks and sounds cool) and what I consider a must, Bottle Warmer. I just posted a new topic to help answer some of these questions. (Nitrous kit info) The kit can be mailed UPS ground or however you want within three days of your order.

Look for other VERY cool parts coming soon!

Lightweight Straight exhaust - $750
Aluminum Rear diffuser (Looks ALOT like the JGTC) - Still making the jig so it will be a few months. $850.00
HID Stationary headlight kit that looks like a production piece. (Chrome interior/ S2000 style inner lights.)
Cam Gears (Exhaust only) $189
Custom Cams, New cores $1,600
ETC ETC ETC. Keep driving, keep smiling.

Bruce Karger

AUTOLOGIC INC.

Check out next month's - or maybe the month after that - Honda Tuning magazine. Brad's car will be in there. (The nitrous kit was already removed before the shoot in preparation to change head gaskets - dis-appointing to say the least)
My car was suppose to be in it, but I had just gotten in to the accident. Sooo. We put Brad's Black Beauty in there!

[This message has been edited by nsxlr8 (edited 18 July 2002).]

Nsxlr8.

I don’t quite think you understand what I am talking about...

I am talking about a Professional Progressive system.

Just like you I’m sure you are aware an engine needs different amounts of fuel fed in under different Rpm/load and throttle conditions, in order to achieve the optimum air/fuel ratio (mixture) for combustion. Obviously one doesn’t just turn the injectors on full the whole time.
Well its exactly the same for nitrous, to optimise the engines conversion of the additional oxygen liberated from the breakdown of the n2o gas the right amount of fuel vs gas has to be delivered into the inlet at the right time and this is unfortunately dependent on rpm/and engine load in a non linear relationship.
Therefore any static combination of Fuel/nos can't always be "right" and that the only way to deliver the correct amounts of each is with a mapped ECU or other intelligent system (note this seems to be what MB has now implemented on the BBSC with the split second device).
More importantly the type of advanced implementation I'm referring to is a major improvement over even "perfect mixture" systems in that it actually feeds in the Nitrous progressively.

The fuel and n20 are applied gradually in appropriate amounts by modulating the pulse width of the the fuel and N2O solenoids as peak power and rpm are approached and this is defined uniquely for each engine depending on its modifications, capacity or state of tune.

The progressive nature of this type of Intelligent system is what separates it from the dumb shot systems of the 70's, the drivability is massively improved as is the ability of the engine to deal with larger hits and prolonged or more continuous use, it also has the benefits of being more efficient on the consumption of the N2O and by starting to feed the gas in earlier helps reduce the intake charge temperature ( due to the expansion of the injected gas) which as we know improves combustion efficiency.

The way these systems are best configured usually needs to be integrated with the ECU itself and therefore can also appropriately retard the timing whilst spraying as well as controlling the standard fuel rail for fine tuning under different gas rail pressures.
I thinks you’ll find that for any given amount of gas this type of system is significantly superior and also allows you to compete without needing the larger Hp shot amounts that could cause engine damage via uneven burns. Not many people over here want to run race gas on the road, though they are happy to use Nitrous as often as possible, however I think that as I mentioned previously we both agree that direct port is probably unnecessary for under 100hp though with the progressive systems and direct port you could probably run 200hp safely at least on the engine ( not sure how the stock drive train would cope)

Now obviously this is just my opinion and I am not intending to upset anyone, But I believe these are the facts, If you don’t think the cost vs. performance benefits are significant or you believe for most people this type of system is unachievable or unnecessary then that’s fine too.
Even if you think its just too complicated than I can understand your comments. But I’d be very surprised if you are actually saying that from your experience “nothing beats a fogger system” and that a good one size fits all A/F approach is the best ?

I know not many NOS users in the states use this type of system and the kind of things shown in fast and furious almost make some of the Ricer systems a joke, but in serious street racing in UEA,JP,HK, Malaysia and Brunei where a Lot of beautiful NSX’s get horrible riced up these systems (although the cars may look horrible) are without question the ones to beat.

Cheers

Max Griffiths.

Back