• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ZO6 vs C5 vs My 2002 NSX some 1/4 specs

So I did some racing last weekend and this weekend. My clutch was slipping very badly so keep that in mind.
I have a 2002 NSX with some weight reduction, Comptech Headers, Tatiec Center Exit Light Weight Exhaust. Not much else done. I do have a NX Nitrous kit on the car with 75 HP jets. Here is the results

First race
2000 C5 (auto) with 100 shot Nitrous, gears, exhaust and some other mods that were not disclosed.
We went from a stop and my clutch slipped so bad when I hit the nitrous I let off. We went again from a 30mph kick, I was in
first gear, with no nitrous, side by side the C5, once in second I hit the nitrous, some slippage from my clutch, I feathered the Nitrous and was able to get the clutch to hook, got a bit ahead in 3rd and 4th gear, was able to use the nitrous with a granny shift, feather nitrous, method.
Outcome I beat the C5 by 1/2 car. We raced up to 130mph. The word is that this C5 runs 12.8 without the Nitrous and low 12's with.

Second race
1999 C5 (auto) with quite a bit of work
because of the clutch slippage, after 2 races with my clutch going, we did a top end run. We went from about 70 or so all the way up to 170 I was right at his door with no nitrous. Real good race.

Third race
2000 ZO6 with exhaust, intake and some other minor mods. We ran from a 20 mph kick. No nitrous on my part. My NSX was at his front tire to about 80 or so, at the end of the race my nose was at his door. The guy told me his car runs 12.5's. Another good race.

So Lets see 3.2 NSX with headers and exhaust and 290hp keeping up with 385 hp C5's and ZO6's. I feel with a few more weight saving items, Comptech Cams, Clutch, maybe the 4.235 gears my NSX will beat the Z06's
without to much effort. Once I up the Nitrous to 100hp the 2002 NSX will be a force to be reckoned with.
So for all who say the NSX needs more power, I say go out and spend some money and add the power. If the NSX can run mid 12's with some add on's and run mid to high 11's with the Nitrous how much faster do you need?
Lets see how the numbers compare to other fast cars...Stock form of course including real street tires unless noted 1/4 times (gathered from experience and mag articles)
Viper GTS (pre 03) 12.5's
ZO6 2003 12.5s on sticky street slicks
Audi S4 2001 14.1
BMW Z8 2002 13.0
360 Modena 2001 12.8
SVT Cobra R 2001 13.1
911 Turbo 2002 12.4
Now for the crazy
F50 12.1
F1 McLaren 11.6
CLK-GTR 9.4
911 GT1 10.9

So with some work on your NSX you have almost everything beat in the 1/4
unless the one you line up with spent a cool half to a full million on his/her car. Keep in mind any of the car owners above can spend $$$$$ and make their cars faster, I have found for the most part after 17 years of drag racing
if you have a car that runs mid 12's in the 1/4 you have got most others beat.
The great thing is my NSX will run all the times I mentioned with the 285 30 18, SO3 tires. No tire change or other Get ready for the track bull.
My opinion is this. The NSX is a fast car. Call it under powered if you wish but it runs mid to high 12's with some work (97 and up NSX's), 175 plus (2002), 0-60 in 4.4 (2002). What more can you ask for? The next car up of its caliber is, I would say a 911 turbo, yea 12.4 in the quarter but 125 grand too. So if you like the NSX get a new one for about 75 grand, spend 10 grand more and go just as fast in the quarter, or spend 20 grand and go faster say 11's with a turbo set up with proper engine prep, who knows how fast on the top 190 plus????????
So to all that complain about the NSX not being fast enough I say BULL S$!T.

Last edited:
Cool post... One minor correction: stock Gen II Vipers have gone 11.9 and 12.1-12.2 is pretty common.

Note that those C5's were modified autos. That's the only thing about my C5 that I really miss. In terms of outright performance, the NSX auto is pretty much a dog and can't even be modded effectively. True this is meaningless for 99.9% of buyers since manual is clearly the way to go, but as an auto driver, it's something that bugs me :)

Gen 2 Vipers

spookyp said:
Cool post... One minor correction: stock Gen II Vipers have gone 11.9 and 12.1-12.2 is pretty common.

Note that those C5's were modified autos. That's the only thing about my C5 that I really miss. In terms of outright performance, the NSX auto is pretty much a dog and can't even be modded effectively. True this is meaningless for 99.9% of buyers since manual is clearly the way to go, but as an auto driver, it's something that bugs me :)

The Viper GTS's Run mid 12's on street tires. With some Street slicks low 12's is the right number. I had a 2000 GTS and ran it at the track. 12.48 was my best with street tires. I, as most other racers have traction problems at the track unless you have slicks. At most of the Viper meets I have been, Bone Stock GTS on Factory tires, the best I have seen is 12.4's. It is a traction problem not that the car is not able to run low 12's.

Just out of curosity why is your clutch slipping is it due to wear or is the stock clutch unable to grab with nitrous. Also how many miles are on your car?

This could have gone to track talk.

Clutch Slip

NSXG35 said:
Just out of curosity why is your clutch slipping is it due to wear or is the stock clutch unable to grab with nitrous. Also how many miles are on your car?

My 2002 NSX was a dealer demo car. I got it with 4800 miles on it. From the day I got the car the NSX had some clutch slippage when I speed shift at red line. What I fonud out after was that the dealership owners wife drove the car. I guess she did not know how to drive the NSX, trying to "baby" the clutch, that has a tendency to cause premature clutch wear. So next week the dealership will be repacing the clutch under warranty. I showed them the clutch slippage issue from week one of ownership.
For the record the factory clutch will hold up to Nitrous if it is in good condition. My clutch was slipping to start with. Now with 8000 miles and engine mods, Nitrous, and some hard driving more slippage.

Re: Gen 2 Vipers

AJKS said:
The Viper GTS's Run mid 12's on street tires. With some Street slicks low 12's is the right number. I had a 2000 GTS and ran it at the track. 12.48 was my best with street tires. I, as most other racers have traction problems at the track unless you have slicks. At most of the Viper meets I have been, Bone Stock GTS on Factory tires, the best I have seen is 12.4's. It is a traction problem not that the car is not able to run low 12's.

This is wrong.Stock Vipers will run 12.00-12.20 with a competent driver.My 97 GTS went 11.90 stock at 121 mph.Thats on stock Pilots with 32 psi of air.Of course this is at a sea level track,maybe you are in the mountains where ETs would be affected.

Another thing is that ET's on those cars are meaningless as you ran from a roll.A Z06 traps in the 116 range as does your car.A Viper,911 turbo and the other exotics you posted would run away from you under these conditions.

Joe

Re: Re: Gen 2 Vipers

nsxbadboy said:
This is wrong.Stock Vipers will run 12.00-12.20 with a competent driver.My 97 GTS went 11.90 stock at 121 mph.Thats on stock Pilots with 32 psi of air.Of course this is at a sea level track,maybe you are in the mountains where ETs would be affected.

Another thing is that ET's on those cars are meaningless as you ran from a roll.A Z06 traps in the 116 range as does your car.A Viper,911 turbo and the other exotics you posted would run away from you under these conditions.

Joe

Joe
As I said in my post the Viper GTS can run low 12's. Pressure altitude was 2500 ft at 85 deg summer 2001 when I ran my GTS.
I see my self as a competent driver. I have had lots of experience drag and road racing, I have won several events in bracket racing, Fastest 5.0 shoot outs and SCCA. The thing is the track I would go to with my Viper was not the best of conditions. The track attendants would not prep the track for test and tune nights, they would only prep for events. Hence no good traction. Regardless of what you would say about competency of a driver, if you are rolling and even feathering the throttle will produce wheel spin for the first 100 ft, and all others with comparable cars have the same problem then what would you say, that no one is competent?
I have ran at Moroso in Miami, Gator Nationals Gainesville, FL, English Town, NJ, Bowling Green, KY, Several other 1/4 mile tracks around the SE and all have there own pro's and con's. They all vary in 1/4 mile time by as much as a half a second. So please don't say a competent driver is the issue about not getting 12.0's in the quarter in his or her Viper. So Now about run away on the top issue. I will agree to a certain point, but how about this. A 2000 GTS like my old one was said to top out at 185, I saw 182 and I believe it would have gotten to 185. The 911's are 190 for the top advertised, 360 Modena is a 189 advertised. So a stock 2002 NSX is advertised at 175. Well, if the Speedo is right I have touched 179 on my NSX with no Nitrous and had plenty of gear left. The NSX is said to be Drag Limited. So with the Nitrous and more engine work I figure the NSX will be good for 185-190. The drag coefficient is good enough were the NSX can and will break the 190 mark with the right amount of horse power. Now don't chime in with "Nitrous on the top end???". You can do it with a Basch Boost Charger or Johnson's Turbo set up too, I just like Nitrous. I have been out to the salt flats before and have seen many cars running on the top end with nitrous. So it can be done. So with this information would they still just run off and leave me? Well, maybe after I let go of the Nitrous button or run out of the GAS, but that is why you need two Nitrous bottles in the trunk. LOL :D

Well I imagine if you race far enough the NSX could beat a few of those cars.Its just tough bench racing a modified car vs a stock car.The NSX is quite fast,mine included,but if I lined up with a Z06 or Viper on the street ,Id be more concerned with beating the driver rather than the car.From a roll,its simply bury the loud pedal,bang gears and hope your power to weight ratio is better than his. Vs. a Viper GTS it isnt. My Viper weighs 3340 and dynod 417 rwhp when stock.Your NSX weighs in at 2900 and dynos no more than 340-350 rwhp tops.

I didnt mean for you take that competent thing personal.I wasnt describing you,just some other Viper owners that dont know how to launch their car.I agree with you that a modified NSX is capable of beating a number of those cars convincingly.The NSX gets a bad rep for underperforming in the quarter mile and with a few mods it will hold its own quite well.I just dont want you to go on believing is gonna stomp on some of these cars all the time as you are setting yourself up for a letdown.

Joe

Back