• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ZO6 VS. NSX

Ilya,

The Powerloader was awesome when I first applied it to my basic 2.73 setup, but it wasn't enough.

After I switched to 3.42s and the TC, the car was a completely different car. I had the loader reprogrammed and used it to set the shift points for the 3.42s, but it was tough to tell if it was making a difference at that point. Still, the "smarter" auto comes in handy. It holds the gear all the way up the RPM band when you are laying into it and the shifts become way crisper.

I've got to admit that the auto C5 with the 3.42s and the 3000RPM stall TC was a monster.

That's very strange considering that most Z06's actually dyno at around 340rwhp and are about 100 lbs heavier.

Z06s are not 100 lbs heavier.

-Jim

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Z06s are not 100 lbs heavier.

-Jim

Double check on curb weight of 2003 Z06 vs. 2003 NSX (in lbs.):

Z06 = 3118 http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/details/chevrolet03corvette/z06/trim.html?refsrc=autos/ncg
NSX = 3164 (Coupe weight from Acura, although some sites report this as 3153, 3208 for the NSX-T) http://www.acura.com/models/nsx_specs_results.asp

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 01 February 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 01 February 2003).]

The Acura website (a) is still reporting some specs, including curb weight and wheel sizes, from the 2001 NSX, even though those figures changed in 2002; and (b) even at that time, had some of the curb weights reversed. I believe the figure of 3164 refers to the six-speed 2001 NSX-T, and 3208 is for the automatic 2001 NSX-T, as correctly shown here. The 2001 NSX Coupe figures are 3069 and 3113 pounds. The NSX Coupe was discontinued after 2001 in the United States.

Edmunds shows the 2002 NSX-T figures as 3153 pounds for the six-speed and 3197 pounds for the automatic, and I assume that those are correct.

Edmunds shows curb weight for the 2003 Z06 as 3116 pounds. Thus the Z06 is about 37 pounds lighter than a new six-speed NSX-T. It is about 100 pounds heavier than the early '91-94 NSX Coupe and '99 Zanardi NSX, and slightly heavier than the very few other coupes sold since the NSX-T was introduced.

Hey, where you racing at in Houston?!?! Wish I had my NOS and CT PGII installed already!! I could show that ZO6 whats up!!
biggrin.gif

Z

My post about the Z06 being 100 lbs heavier was specifically to Khuang who said he had a 93 Comptech NSX. The 93 NSX coupe is about 100lbs lighter than the Z06. The NSX-Ts are a different story...

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 01 February 2003).]

I trap 113mph, at Z06vette.com, many are trapping 116+ and dyno 360 + rwhp. Go to Z06vette.com under dyno and 1/4 mi, you will see many stock 02 Z06 dyno 360's rwhp at 116 +. If I remember correct, my SC NSX dynoed 240 ft-lb of torque. It also does not help that the 93 NSX 5 speed goes to 4600 rpm when shifting 1st to second.

I can care less if Z06 is faster, prior to the NSX, I had a Supra TT (BPU +++) that traps 117.9 mph. The NSX is not about straight line. I prefer NSX over Supra and Z06.

Stock Z06's do NOT trap much higher than 113, btw. I've got no problems with Vettes (I owned a 00 C5 before the NSX), but the above story just doesn't make sense to me...

Don't want to beat it to death, but 116 traps and 360+ rwhp are not typical stock Z06 numbers. Check those cars on Z06 Vettes and I bet they are mildly modded (at least cold air).

It's pretty normal for Vettes to lose about 15% through the driveline.

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 01 February 2003).]

Originally posted by spookyp:
I dont understand the above. You're saying that with a 334 rwhp NSX you were totally unable to take a STOCK 02 Z06?
B]

Sure, HP doesn't win races, TORQUE does! Not to mention SC'd NSX don't hook up all that well, expecially with 2+deg camber for the road course
smile.gif

For what its worth I am on my 4th NSX.
My 91 ran 13.2 in the 1/4 with RM exhaust.

My 92 ran 13.0 all day long with RM headers RM exhaust 4.235 gears & Japan tranny. With the RM 75 shot dry NOS kit it ran a best of 11.92 and ran 12.0's all the time.

My 94 ran 13.1 with dream 28 exhaust and nothing else.

I now have a 2002. It is faster than all my other cars. I am doing a weight reduction, Headers, Exhaust, Air Box, and Nitrous Express 75 HP wet Kit. I feel the car will run 12.5's 12.6's without the NOS and sub 11.6's with.
I have a EURO car mag with an NSX-R runing 0-60 in 4.4 and 1/4 in 12.8

I will post 1/4 times when the track opens back up.

One last thing, the 02 cars are faster than the 01 and prior cars period. I test drove an 01 about a month before I bought my 02. The 02 is much harder pulling.

Originally posted by AJKS:

I have a EURO car mag with an NSX-R runing 0-60 in 4.4 and 1/4 in 12.8

The Best Motoring videos will most likely back up (if not better) those numbers as well.

To make the comparison fair, the NSX-R numbers should be used when pairing against the Z06.

And in such event the differences are certainly much smaller...

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 03 February 2003).]

Originally posted by AJKS:
the 02 cars are faster than the 01 and prior cars period.

That may be true at triple-digit speeds, where the improved aerodynamics may have a slight effect. But outside of that, there is no technical reason for the '02 to be faster than the '01, and the magazine tests (which is as close as you can come to a controlled test) do not show any improvement whatsoever.

All times were on street tires 285 30 18's with Potenza SO2's. The trap speeds without NOS were all 107-108, with NOS 112-114. This was in Alabama at 500ft above sea level, at night, 50F-60F. I would call it close to a standard day- 29.92 Baro, 59F,sea level as you can get. This standard day is what the car has its HP rating at.
I have been drag racing for 17 years. So I know what I am doing. It is all in the 60ft times to get a good 1/4 time. I went through 2 stock clutches. I went with the Dali one with light weight fly wheel on the 92 and did not have any other problems. I found that you bring the NSX to 5 grand on the tach and slip the clutch to avoid tire spin is the way to work the cars 60 ft time to the sub 1.8 seconds. I would hit the NOS as soon as I got the clutch out in 1st gear.
I have won many races with getting the 1-2 car jump with a good launch. Another thing is once I put the gas to the floor I never let off. I shift with gas to the floor. In one race with a worked 99 Vet I had him through the 1/4 then he would catch me about 50 feet after. This was in the 92 NSX with 4.235 gears and Japan Trany. The NSX can be a drag racer if you do the right MODS and drive it like you stole it.
I have had 4 NSX's, 2 Ferraris, and a Viper GTS in the past 3 years. I take the NSX over the others.
I also have had many others tell me the 2002 is faster than the prior years. This is the case in both 0-100 and top end. Who knows maybe the NSX has a revamped CPU with a bit more aggressive fuel and timing curve to get a few more HP. The Euro mag that has the 0-60 4.4 time also mentions it is faster than the prior years. We will see in 2 months or so when the track opens up.

For what it's worth, I raced a stock 375hp Z06 (well, he had his camber adjusted) with my stock Zanardi at Holtville and simply could not keep up with it on the straights OR the corners, and the Z06 driver was less experienced than me.

This gained me a lot of respect for the Z06, though I still don't plan on buying one because of build quality issues and such.

I'm sure given sufficient mods to an NSX you could keep up with it and even beat it.

IMHO, for performance and bang for your buck, the Z06 can't really be beat. That said, I'll take an NSX any day for the superior looks, build quality, and becuase, damn, corvettes are everywhere.

-Z18

here are a couple vids of me running a bolt on 3.0 NSX with headers and bolt ons and a 75 shot of nitrous. He's a great driver as well. My car is the automatic TA.. at the time all I had was a intake lid and a exhaust cutout..everything else bone stock. I ran a 2001 bone stock Z06 also with the same mods and form a stop he was about 3-4 cars on me

TA vs NSX nitrous from stop

http://bobby2001ta.planetdns.net/TA+vs+NSX+nitrous+from+stop.mpeg

TA vs NSX nitrous from 20
http://bobby2001ta.planetdns.net/TA+vs+NSX+nitrous+20+punch+.mpeg

I rode around the track at NSXPO with wei-shin in his S/C NSX and he told me that he could not pass the Z06. I think it was stock.. but i am not 100% sure. It was really fast! Also, I think the driver was really good, but then again, so is wei-shin..

Originally posted by Z18:
for performance and bang for your buck, the Z06 can't really be beat. That said, I'll take an NSX any day for the superior looks, build quality, and becuase, damn, corvettes are everywhere.

I think the above pretty much sums up my view towards the Z06 - and I suspect many will concur.

The TA had a slight head start on the rolling start. Cant believe that the yellow has NOS. I have pulled on about two different TA's MT in 5 rolling start races. No NOS and 92 H/E. The last race I did was a 2003 SVT cobra. Them puppies are quick!

Originally posted by Bobby C 01TA:

here are a couple vids of me running a bolt on 3.0 NSX with headers and bolt ons and a 75 shot of nitrous. He's a great driver as well. My car is the automatic TA.. at the time all I had was a intake lid and a exhaust cutout..everything else bone stock. I ran a 2001 bone stock Z06 also with the same mods and form a stop he was about 3-4 cars on me

TA vs NSX nitrous from stop

http://bobby2001ta.planetdns.net/TA+vs+NSX+nitrous+from+stop.mpeg

TA vs NSX nitrous from 20
http://bobby2001ta.planetdns.net/TA+vs+NSX+nitrous+20+punch+.mpeg

Well I was doing the honking so maybe my reaction was a little better than his but with the addition of headers and a stall converter I have now, it wouldnt be much of a race. Like racing a TT supra against a non turbo supra.. but anyways.. here is a non nitrous run. Motor to Motor.. The NSX had a slight delay from a stop and he spun some but it wouldnt have mattered.there was no fetching and passing me.
http://bobby2001ta.planetdns.net/TA+vs+NSX+from+stop.mpeg

Back