• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Advice on what Battery to get the NSX?? Experiences with different batteries........

My car is down for the count while I wait for Brian to modify my ECU and send the RDX injectors out. In the meantime my car has not been lasting 6-7 days without the battery dying on me and me having to jump the car.

Any suggestions on batteries that have been proven to last in the NSX? Or is any battery going to do the job (Sams Club special, something from batteries+, local auto parts store etc.....)?

I was thinking about the lightweight lithium battery in the vendors section, but don't know if that'll suffice with me doing a stereo system down the road?

Any input is welcome

Thx

If your running big amps you may consider the Optima yellow top. I have the interstate for daily use. Car sets 2 weeks at a time on occasion with no batt. issues.

Eventually I plan on getting the sub enclosure that Angus sells with a 10" or possibly a 12" sub. So I couldn't imagine a huge amp to run that and two door speakers, but nonetheless it'll be more than what I currently have on the car? Yea the one that I currently have in the car when I bought it is a Autocraft Silver that's dated 12/08. So the battery is over 5 years old and probably at the end of it's lifespan I'm guessing. How much did your interstate cost you? Have you run an Optima yellow top before, if so what's the difference between the two batteries?

Thx

The stock NSX battery is a "group 35" size. Any good-quality battery that size in good condition should be able to start the stock car after it sits for at least 10 days. At two weeks, it starts to get iffy (and you should probably use an automatic charger on it). If yours can't hold a charge for a week, something is wrong; maybe your battery is older and needs replacing, maybe you have aftermarket equipment (alarm?) that adds to the drain on the battery, maybe there's a short circuit somewhere that is draining it. There are two easy ways to test this. You can test the battery (I think auto parts stores will do this for free), and you can use a voltmeter (I think that's it) to test the drain on the battery and trace it if it is excessive. So you may or may not need to replace the battery, and you may or may not have some other problem that needs to be addressed.

Any group 35 size battery will do the job. If you go with a conventional battery, I recommend getting one rated with high CCA (cold cranking amps) and a longer warranty. I've had excellent results with batteries sold at Costco under their house Kirkland brand, which are made by Johnson Controls, but really, any brand will work.

I used an Odyssey PC925T battery in my NSX for many years. Advantages include lighter weight and longer lifespan (8-10 years or more when kept charged); the main disadvantage is cost.

EDIT: I now see from your latest post that your current battery is five years old. Yes, it's probably at the end of its useful life. I wouldn't even bother testing anything; I'd just replace the battery.

If you get aftermarket equipment on your car that has an additional draw on the battery when the car is turned off, I would definitely keep an automatic charger on your car any time it sits for more than a couple of days. You can install handy pigtail connectors that end in the front grill, to make it easy to connect/disconnect the charger.

Last edited:
I ran a yellow top for 4 years/zero issues, then suddenly, dead. I did not have any extra load, it was just a decision I made to buy. I've had my interstate 2 years with no issues. The optima was on the heavy side though. If that's all your running the Optima isn't really necessary. A group 35 Interstate is sufficient.
Eventually I plan on getting the sub enclosure that Angus sells with a 10" or possibly a 12" sub. So I couldn't imagine a huge amp to run that and two door speakers, but nonetheless it'll be more than what I currently have on the car? Yea the one that I currently have in the car when I bought it is a Autocraft Silver that's dated 12/08. So the battery is over 5 years old and probably at the end of it's lifespan I'm guessing. How much did your interstate cost you? Have you run an Optima yellow top before, if so what's the difference between the two batteries?

Thx

i've had a yellow top for over 5 years with no problems on a stock system,but it's just starting to get weak.i'm going to replace it with something else because there seems to be a consensus that the newer optimas aren't as good.

The stock NSX battery is a "group 35" size. Any good-quality battery that size in good condition should be able to start the stock car after it sits for at least 10 days. At two weeks, it starts to get iffy (and you should probably use an automatic charger on it). If yours can't hold a charge for a week, something is wrong; maybe your battery is older and needs replacing, maybe you have aftermarket equipment (alarm?) that adds to the drain on the battery, maybe there's a short circuit somewhere that is draining it. There are two easy ways to test this. You can test the battery (I think auto parts stores will do this for free), and you can use a voltmeter (I think that's it) to test the drain on the battery and trace it if it is excessive. So you may or may not need to replace the battery, and you may or may not have some other problem that needs to be addressed.

Any group 35 size battery will do the job. If you go with a conventional battery, I recommend getting one rated with high CCA (cold cranking amps) and a longer warranty. I've had excellent results with batteries sold at Costco under their house Kirkland brand, which are made by Johnson Controls, but really, any brand will work.

I used an Odyssey PC925T battery in my NSX for many years. Advantages include lighter weight and longer lifespan (8-10 years or more when kept charged); the main disadvantage is cost.

EDIT: I now see from your latest post that your current battery is five years old. Yes, it's probably at the end of its useful life. I wouldn't even bother testing anything; I'd just replace the battery.

If you get aftermarket equipment on your car that has an additional draw on the battery when the car is turned off, I would definitely keep an automatic charger on your car any time it sits for more than a couple of days. You can install handy pigtail connectors that end in the front grill, to make it easy to connect/disconnect the charger.

Thanks for the advice, what does the group 35 size actually mean? Does it mean that only a certain size can fit in the NSX and this is the proper size? Also do you have a pic of what pigtail connectors look like, or better yet of some connected to the car so I have an idea of how it looks hooked up?

Thx

- - - Updated - - -

I ran a yellow top for 4 years/zero issues, then suddenly, dead. I did not have any extra load, it was just a decision I made to buy. I've had my interstate 2 years with no issues. The optima was on the heavy side though. If that's all your running the Optima isn't really necessary. A group 35 Interstate is sufficient.

Thanks, I'll look into Interstate batteries as well.

- - - Updated - - -

i've had a yellow top for over 5 years with no problems on a stock system,but it's just starting to get weak.i'm going to replace it with something else because there seems to be a consensus that the newer optimas aren't as good.

Yeah unless an audio amp needs something like a yellow top, then I might just look to something else.

Thanks for the advice, what does the group 35 size actually mean? Does it mean that only a certain size can fit in the NSX and this is the proper size? Also do you have a pic of what pigtail connectors look like, or better yet of some connected to the car so I have an idea of how it looks hooked up?

Thx

group 35 refers to the physical dimensions of the battery,so all group 35 batteries should be the same size regardless of the maker,thus you know they will fit.there are probably other sizes that fit,i know with some of the discussions on the smaller odyssey batteries people used boards or other things to hold them in and make them fit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, what does the group 35 size actually mean? Does it mean that only a certain size can fit in the NSX and this is the proper size?
There are only a dozen or two common sizes for car batteries, and this is one of them. The group size specifies the dimensions and where the terminals are located. If you get a group 35 battery, it should fit perfectly in the stock plastic battery box. You can use other sizes, but you may need to devise a method of bolting it down, such as with some sort of hold-down bracket.

Also do you have a pic of what pigtail connectors look like, or better yet of some connected to the car so I have an idea of how it looks hooked up?
There are a variety of pigtail connectors on the market. Here are a couple of examples:

8770_3__07813.1379722078.1280.1280.JPG
Wire_JST-1-150x150.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Interstate MTP35. My car will start even when sitting for 5 weeks during the cold winter months up in the northeast. I have no problems at all.

There are only a dozen or two common sizes for car batteries, and this is one of them. The group size specifies the dimensions and where the terminals are located. If you get a group 35 battery, it should fit perfectly in the stock plastic battery box. You can use other sizes, but you may need to devise a method of bolting it down, such as with some sort of hold-down bracket.

There are a variety of pigtail connectors on the market. Here are a couple of examples:

8770_3__07813.1379722078.1280.1280.JPG
Wire_JST-1-150x150.jpg

Good to know that if for some reason I get another group size, that all that means is I have to secure the battery from moving around. Thanks for the pics of the pigtails, now I know what to look for if I end up using a battery tender/charger.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Interstate MTP35. My car will start even when sitting for 5 weeks during the cold winter months up in the northeast. I have no problems at all.

Do you know the weight on that Interstate MPT35? Just curious...

Edit...I just found it it's 38.2

Last edited:
I have the stock Acura battery, which cranks even after leaving my car in -10 F temps for several days at the Denver airport. If you are going to put stereo equipment in your car, I wouldn't recommend anything less than the group 35 style, which are all 35-40 lbs. Since I don't have a bumpin' system in my car, I am going to try the NSX-R battery next, which is still suitable for winter service, but about 10 lbs lighter than the stock group 35 battery. It is a group 51 battery, which is the same as the Integra.

I have the stock Acura battery, which cranks even after leaving my car in -10 F temps for several days at the Denver airport. If you are going to put stereo equipment in your car, I wouldn't recommend anything less than the group 35 style, which are all 35-40 lbs. Since I don't have a bumpin' system in my car, I am going to try the NSX-R battery next, which is still suitable for winter service, but about 10 lbs lighter than the stock group 35 battery. It is a group 51 battery, which is the same as the Integra.

Interesting, do you get that (NSX-R) from the dealership? How much?

Yes, you can order it from the dealership, but you will need the NSX-R battery bracket, which I think is a Japan-only part. It may be the same as the Zanardi bracket, but I'm not sure. I'll cross that bridge when it is time for my new battery. :)

Interesting, do you get that (NSX-R) from the dealership? How much?
I believe the group 51R battery in the NSX-R is the same one as the group 51R battery in the 1999 NSX Zanardi edition (part number 31500-SR1-100M), and costs the same ($110 list). It's smaller so you'll need to somehow bolt it down.

As noted by Honcho above, this is the same battery (same Honda part number) as the one used in all recent Integras. So there's really no difference between this and any other brand of group 51R battery, other than quality differences. So you can just as easily get a group 51R battery at Costco, or Sears, or any auto parts store. Again, I recommend getting one with higher CCA and a longer warranty, for those places that offer a full line of batteries.

Also consider that a smaller battery may not start the car as well in a cold climate during winter, which may be a consideration for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, you can order it from the dealership, but you will need the NSX-R battery bracket, which I think is a Japan-only part. It may be the same as the Zanardi bracket, but I'm not sure. I'll cross that bridge when it is time for my new battery. :)
The parts catalog, which you can view here for the battery for the '99 Zanardi, uses the same diagram for all NSX's, and doesn't list parts which aren't on a particular model, or parts which have been discontinued. Since that catalog web page doesn't list any brackets (#2) or battery box (#4), either those parts weren't used on the Zanardi, or they are no longer available.

However, it shouldn't be all that difficult to fabricate a hold-down bracket and bolt it to the battery floor pan.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, now I know I have another route to go to if I wanted a lighter battery for the same price as the group 35 stock battery. So it'll save me about 10 lbs over the group 35?

+1 on the Costco Kirkland battery. Hasn't failed me yet.
Not sure why you'd need a lighter battery. You'll never notice the difference. Unless you're competition racing, then it's pointless IMHO.

I have been told not all OEM batteries come from the manufacturer. This came straight from a dealer partsman. I was rather disappointed.
This shouldn't come as a big surprise. Many car parts are not made by the car manufacturer, while many others are. Those that aren't, are often made by another company but labeled with the car manufacturer brand (e.g. Honda). I've heard that there are only a handful of manufacturers of car batteries, just like there are only a handful of manufacturers of car brake pads. For some parts (e.g. brake pads), the parts manufacturer can make them for a specific car model, with specific attributes regarding performance and other characteristics; for other parts (e.g. batteries), the parts manufacturer may make a part that is specified for multiple models of cars. For example, the current battery for the '91-05 NSX in the Acura parts catalog, part number 31500-SL5-100M, is the same as the one in the parts catalog for the '98-99 CL, '07-12 RDX, '95-98 TL, and '92-94 Vigor.

I believe the original battery that came in my 1991 NSX when it was assembled was made by Panasonic. I don't recall whether or not it was labeled as a Honda or Panasonic, though. And it's possible that Honda changed manufacturers/suppliers since then.

Plus 1 on the Costco Battery

This shouldn't come as a big surprise. Many car parts are not made by the car manufacturer, while many others are. Those that aren't, are often made by another company but labeled with the car manufacturer brand (e.g. Honda). I've heard that there are only a handful of manufacturers of car batteries, just like there are only a handful of manufacturers of car brake pads. For some parts (e.g. brake pads), the parts manufacturer can make them for a specific car model, with specific attributes regarding performance and other characteristics; for other parts (e.g. batteries), the parts manufacturer may make a part that is specified for multiple models of cars. For example, the current battery for the '91-05 NSX in the Acura parts catalog, part number 31500-SL5-100M, is the same as the one in the parts catalog for the '98-99 CL, '07-12 RDX, '95-98 TL, and '92-94 Vigor.

I believe the original battery that came in my 1991 NSX when it was assembled was made by Panasonic. I don't recall whether or not it was labeled as a Honda or Panasonic, though. And it's possible that Honda changed manufacturers/suppliers since then.

Ken, a couple of years ago I replaced my battery. After some research I decided on the "Kirkland" sold by Costco. Half the price of the dealer OEM battery and discovered that both are made by Johnson Controls.

Just replaced my brother's battery on Friday. Costco carries the Group 35, but determined that the 24F they carry for automatic transmission models has higher CCA and fills the battery tray better than the 35. It was $84 vs the $74 Group 35. Acura replacement battery is up to $140 I believe.

Only downside to Costco batteries are weight. If that's an issue for you - I guess Optima might be your choice.

Ken, a couple of years ago I replaced my battery. After some research I decided on the "Kirkland" sold by Costco. Half the price of the dealer OEM battery and discovered that both are made by Johnson Controls.

Just replaced my brother's battery on Friday. Costco carries the Group 35, but determined that the 24F they carry for automatic transmission models has higher CCA and fills the battery tray better than the 35. It was $84 vs the $74 Group 35. Acura replacement battery is up to $140 I believe.

Only downside to Costco batteries are weight. If that's an issue for you - I guess Optima might be your choice.

I use a Group 24F in my manual (auto spec) as well. It can last 8 weeks on a stock NSX with no issue, no tender. I have been using it for about 3 years now. It has never died, delivers great cranking amps. Slight more weight, but it fills that battery tray, case better than a Group 35.

Yup. As I mentioned above:

I just looked up my records on my Integra Type R, the car I've been using Costco/Kirkland batteries in. I bought and installed one in 2005. I then replaced it with another one last year; it was still working fine after eight years, but I did so anyway as a preventive measure. When I've shopped prices, theirs was significantly less expensive than any other battery with the same CCA and a 100-month warranty. Also, it's worth noting that the demands of my ITR are probably similar to that of many NSXs (driven only rarely, with long stretches in between when the car just sits; I connect an automatic charger to it every couple of weeks, although I suppose I could just leave it connected all the time if I wanted).

Thumbs up on the Costco/Kirkland batteries.

If you are going to keep the car and are not concerned about the weight buy the Costco/Kirkland battery in either size listed above. The reason I have their batteries in my 3 vehicles is that you can return that battery for a FREE replacement within 3 yrs of the purchase date and they will give you a brand new replacement that comes with the exact warranty you originally had, but starts anew.
I bought my 1st battery for my NSX about 10 yrs ago, I'm on my 3rd battery, only paid for the 1st one, other 2 absolutely FREE! They do not test them in anyway, just a free exchange and a little paperwork!

My experience with Optima yellow top batteries has been poor. My first Optima lasted only 4 years and the second one only 2 years. By comparison every cheap battery from Costco or Walmart that I've bought has lasted more than 10 years.

However if you're intent on getting an AGM battery similar to Optima, then I'd suggest the Hawker Odyssey which has a far better reputation for quality. Last I checked the Sears Die Hard Platinum is the same battery as the Odyssey. I've had one of these in my NSX for 6 years now without issue.

Back