• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone know of carb legal equal length headers...

for a 95 nsx? I know the dc and comptech headers are carb exempt but I don't believe them to be equal length.

redtwinturbo said:
for a 95 nsx? I know the dc and comptech headers are carb exempt but I don't believe them to be equal length.

What is carb exempt?

If they say they are equal length, they probably are. Even if they are within a couple inches they are going to be so much better than the stock 95 exhaust system it will be unbelievable!!!! Too bad you don't get to see them after you put them on!!!

Brad

OLDMNSX said:
What is carb exempt?

If they say they are equal length, they probably are. Even if they are within a couple inches they are going to be so much better than the stock 95 exhaust system it will be unbelievable!!!! Too bad you don't get to see them after you put them on!!!

Brad

California air resources board (smog) exempt. I've been "asked" to pop my hood in previous cars so I gotta go the smog legal route here in Ca or at least maintain the appearance of overall legality :wink: I'm sure even a non equal length header will be a huge difference on my 95 but I want to investigate the smog legal equal length route as well if it exists.

What is carb exempt?

He means "CARB" or C.A.R.B. (California Air Resources Board), you got nothing like this agency in ID, they are extremely powerful. They set the rules for aftermarket equipment that *might* impact emissions. Which in turn sets standards for legislation that can fine or impound (or, I believe, destroy) vehicles that have non-CARB approved equipment installed.

He also means "approved", not exempt---no such thing on headers.

I think his choice really is Comptech. The CARB approval process is expensive and time consuming....doubtful anybody else is willing to go through the process.

Thanks Guys for the info. I am now better informed. It sounds like this could be a problem, but as long as the car meets or exceeds the emission standards how could they argue?

Brad

but as long as the car meets or exceeds the emission standards how could they argue?

The only question they ask is "Show me the EO number". No argument: you either have it or you don't.

The approval process starts off with a $50K check, a sample (generally on a working test vehicle too) and about six months (with the test vehicle). If the results are within spec, you are granted an EO number.

It is all very simple: just expensive and time consuming.

When you have 40 million cars clustered in about three major cities in CA, boards like this really have bite.

Boards like this, including the Water Resources and Coastal Commission, have more power than the governor and the members are treated like royalty from anybody wanting to get on their good side. Please don't think these folks pay for vacations, any meals or need to worry about which college their kids will be attending.

Drew

redtwinturbo said:
I just went through the same thing before I had the supercharger installed... I wanted CARB & equal length. As you mentioned only the Comptech and DC headers are CARB. I forget who, but someone claims the Cantrell are equal length and the Comptech are not.

Before I bought, I compared the Comptech up against the Cantrell. I know it's not very scientific, but, I spent some time trying to determine if either was equal length. My inspection couldn't determine if either one was or wasn't equal length. If the Comptech is not equal length, then it is not by much.

I believe they are both excellent headers, however, I did notice a slight difference in quality. The Cantrell has several weld joints along the primarys. The Comptech primarys are just bent to shape... no weld joints. I also felt that the Comptech had better weld joints (just my opinion based on what I saw). So, it was an easy choice for me... I got the Comptech.

The Cantrells seem to make the best HP but I do not think they are CARB approved. Comptechs definitely have a nicer overall appearance as far as looks go. I got the Cantrells and saved a couple hundred bucks.

DC Sports is Cali CARB Legal, and equal length per bank - If I remember correctly.

Few cases of cracking, but they may be isolated cases.

The reality is, no one will check for the header to see if it is CARB legal.

Most of the NSXers in my area (S. Cal) have after market exhaust and header, and none of them have been harrased by the cops. The header is deep under the block, you can't simply see it by poping the hatch.

Vancehu said:
DC Sports is Cali CARB Legal, and equal length per bank - If I remember correctly.

Few cases of cracking, but they may be isolated cases.

The reality is, no one will check for the header to see if it is CARB legal.

Most of the NSXers in my area (S. Cal) have after market exhaust and header, and none of them have been harrased by the cops. The header is deep under the block, you can't simply see it by poping the hatch.

I believe the DC cracking issue is caused mainly by the non-flex-joint adapter versions which are classified as the 91-94 versions. Get the 95-96 versions with the adapter which costs an extra couple hundred. These headers will crack eventually but you'll get many many years out of them before they do.

And yes, most shops don't check your CARB sticker. If one does just go to a shop that doesn't. Recent post though about being pulled over...if a cop is having a bad day he will write you a fix-it ticket for your CARB sticker which of course you can't back up if you fail to provide it to him on the spot. Fine is hundreds of dollars. You can get a ticket for it if the cop notices you're loud and suspects you might have aftermarket headers...:rolleyes:

i think equal length headers for the nsx do not make any difference. I got comptech headers and the stock headers on na2 looks equal length when i saw them. In the end I gained more hp even though comptech aren't equal length.

nsxtacey is right, equal length does NOT make much of a difference unless all SIX pipes are equal length, not three and three. Of all the headers I know of, only ONE is "equal length", meaning all 6 pipes are the same length, the GT-One F1. All others have 3 pipes on one bank that may or may not be equal, and since the cylinders don't fire in order, it does not make much of a difference.

Of course there is a quality and pipe size difference.

sos headers are equal length, and great quality. also, the sound provided by the equal length tubes is worth seeking out.

NSXGMS said:
I believe the DC cracking issue is caused mainly by the non-flex-joint adapter versions which are classified as the 91-94 versions. Get the 95-96 versions with the adapter which costs an extra couple hundred. These headers will crack eventually but you'll get many many years out of them before they do.

And yes, most shops don't check your CARB sticker. If one does just go to a shop that doesn't. Recent post though about being pulled over...if a cop is having a bad day he will write you a fix-it ticket for your CARB sticker which of course you can't back up if you fail to provide it to him on the spot. Fine is hundreds of dollars. You can get a ticket for it if the cop notices you're loud and suspects you might have aftermarket headers...:rolleyes:

lol, I'm more concern about being ticketed for exhaust than the header, after all, I dont' believe OEM pipes are with CARB stamps on it. Unless all the cops are driving around with a hand book showing them what the NSX stock header look like... Just tell the cop it's "stock.":rolleyes: :biggrin: :tongue:

Thanks Guys for the info. I am now better informed. It sounds like this could be a problem, but as long as the car meets or exceeds the emission standards how could they argue?

Brad

I live in San Jose. Without a carb sticker for your headers you will fail visual inspection. They check the entire exaust sustem.
To pass you must have a sticker stating it is aproved or it must be stock.
Any exaust leaks, pin holes etc will also fail.

Yea it sucks...

Later,
Don

In the San Francisco bay area the smog shops are required to check.
They will use a mirror. A friend of mine has headers on his car.
They are not carb aproved. Emissions were fine... He failed and had to
put the stock headers on the car for the smog check. Once you fail for a
non aproved modification there is no limit to how much you have to
spend get the car to pass.

Later,
Don

I'm surprised they checked - my NSX has NEVER had the headers checked - even though they are Comptech, CARB Legal anyway & these tests were at Test-Only too .....
Just like the comment about the Cops, I really doubt whether the average test technician would know by looking whether they were stock or otherwise.
Doesn't make it right to ignore it - if you're busted can have little complaint. I'm only suggesting the chances of failure are probably less as opposed to more likely, especially on an NSX - Integra? Different story!

In the San Francisco bay area the smog shops are required to check.
They will use a mirror. A friend of mine has headers on his car.
They are not carb aproved. Emissions were fine... He failed and had to
put the stock headers on the car for the smog check. Once you fail for a
non aproved modification there is no limit to how much you have to
spend get the car to pass.

Later,
Don

All shops are required to check. I'm doubtful that there's any local-specific ordinance that motivates one arbitrary area's (Bay Area) shops to check more diligently than another--it's a statewide blanket policy. Few, in my experience, actually do check and I've never been checked in San Diego.

I'd say it would be well worth it to take a 6 hour drive down to San Diego and get your inspection done here than have to r/r your headers every two years.

I'm also not advocating breaking the law. I'm the one who pointed out that there is a CARB requirement at all. I'm saying that it's a calculated risk you may or may not want to take and what the consequences would or might be as well as point out the real-world implications of having illegal headers on an NSX.

He means "CARB" or C.A.R.B. (California Air Resources Board),

i thought it refer to some "Carburetor" test :wink: . US controls are so strong, good on the environment though. Over here they check very little, i only recall the wheel alignment. In some cases i wished they were a little stronger in sake of safety, you should see some real "beauties" on the road, sometimes no lights or bumpers :eek:

All shops are required to check. I'm doubtful that there's any local-specific ordinance that motivates one arbitrary area's (Bay Area) shops to check more diligently than another--it's a statewide blanket policy. Few, in my experience, actually do check and I've never been checked in San Diego.
NSX.

The Bay Area Air Quality Management District 9 bay area counties have imposed a new smog check the went in effect a few years back. The cars are tested on a dyno at 15mph and 25mph.

http://www.baaqmd.gov/dst/jurisdiction.htm

New "Enhanced" Smog Test - In parts of California where smog pollution is higher, vehicle owners are now required to complete an "Enhanced" version of California's smog test. The "Enhanced" smog test requires your vehicle to be driven on a dynamometer while the smog machine collects emissions samples from the tailpipe. The "Enhanced" smog test has been proven to retrieve a more accurate sample of a vehicle's emissions output, then it's predecessor, the "Basic" smog test. The "Basic" smog test requires vehicles to be tested, only at idle and 2500 rpms. "Basic" smog test vehicles do not need to be driven on a dynomometer.

Not sure if you can go out of the area for a smog check? I suspect not.
Good point though....

For me I stick with carb legal stuff.

Later,
Don

Back