• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Review – NSX-R Short Shifter

This is a review of the NSX-R short shifter install. The parts include:
JDM NSX-R shift knob with Fixing Nut,
JDM NSX-R shift boot,
SOS Short Gear Stalk with Extended Threads, and
Dave's Short Shift Kit

I had been considering doing this mod for quite some time. After hearing the horror stories of scratched center console covers, I'd come to dread doing this mod.

First item in removing the center console is to remove the clock. I carefully tugged on it for about 10 minutes without success... until I got frustrated and gripped the top edge (lip) with my finger nails and pulled - out it came. Here is a photo showing the clock and the clips that hold it in place. (You can see the top edge that I grabbed with my finger nails.)

(Click on the photos for a larger view)

The next item to remove was the center vent. Here is where I heard the horror stories of scratching the paint on the center console. I'd read instructions on how to remove the vent and referred to the service manual. They all mentioned sticking some device (like a screw driver) in-between the vent and the leather to pry on some clips to get it out. Well, on my 2002, it wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was easier than the clock. I just slid a sheet of plastic in-between the vent and the center console to protect the paint, removed the two screws that held the top portion of the vent, reached in, and pulled... out it came. Here is a photo of the clips on a 2002 vent.

Next was to remove the arm rest. There is a false floor inside the arm rest. This photo shows the little cut-out that allows a small tool to get underneath in order to pull the false floor up and out. (Sorry about the focus.)

The four screws in the arm rest. Remove them and it lifts right out.

To remove the gear shift knob, grab the top of the leather boot and pull down.

Here's the shift knob showing the clips that hold up the boot.

Notice the amount of threads on the stock stalk.

There are two electrical connections which need to be unplugged before the console can be lifted out. Here is one of them.

Here are the two plugs.

The boot is held in with three screws.

Here are all the pieces ready for installation.
Notice the amount of threads on the "SOS Short Gear Stalk with Extended Threads".
Also notice the "Black Chrome Fixing Nut" that Dali provides with the NSX-R Shift Knob. It does not make sense when you look at it, but you need to install the fixing nut onto the stalk with the flange side DOWN so it can hold UP the top part of the NSX-R boot against the bottom of the shift knob.

Dave's Short Shift kit would NOT fully slide into place without grinding off a small amount of the SOS Short Gear Stalk.

You can see where I ground off a little material from the top and around the edge.

Install the nut and washer...

...and tighten the set screw, and it's nice and snug.

Remove the four 12mm bolts that hold the shifter assembly in place.

Remove the two 10mm nuts that hold the shift linkage and pull out the shifter assembly.

The shifter assembly ready for the swap.

Remove the two long bolts and the one longer bolt to remove the shift stalk from the shifter assembly... but be careful. There is a little tiny part that could get lost (see next photo.)

This shows a very small part (out of focus) that goes into one of the plastic bushings.

Remove the inners from the stock shift stalk. I was able to push these out with my hands. They were only held in with o-rings. Replace the inners into the SOS Short Gear Stalk, taking care not to damage the o-rings of the inners and the o-rings in the end plates.

Once I replaced the SOS Short Gear Stalk into the shifter assembly, I discovered that the shaft of the Short Shift kit (that holds the shift linkage) was galled in place. CRAP! It was almost impossible to remove. Needless to say I was pissed. It took me an extra hour to get the shaft out and modify the hole/shaft so the shaft would slide relatively easy. (It needs to slide easily when installing the shift linkage.)

Next step is to re-install the shifter assembly. When I tried to insert the linkage into the Short Shift kit, it was so tight that it took almost 45 minutes to get the linkage aligned with the shaft. (This was a real pain in the ass.)

Replace the four 12mm bolts that hold the shifter assembly in place.

With the Black Chrome Fixing nut in place (with flange side down), replace the console. The top of the NSX-R boot stays UP because of the Fixing nut flange. You can adjust the fixing nut with the boot over it. Adjust, screw on the knob, and your done.

Conclusion:

The NSX-R Short Shifter is "SHORT".

Dave's Short Shift Kit reduces the throw by about 25%. Take that and add the SOS Short Gear Stalk (which is 10mm shorter) AND the NSX-R knob that can be screwed down further (because of the extended threads on the SOS stalk), and what you end up with is a short (low), short (throw) shifter.

I installed the NSX-R Short Shifter last night. It took about 4 hours including the problems I had with the Short Shift Kit. I drove the car to work today. It takes a little more effort to shift, but not too much that it is uncomfortable. The shifter is in a lower position and I was not able to drive with my wrist resting on the shift knob while playing with the volume control on the radio - like I usually do.

My car is a daily driver and it will take more time to see how I like this. So far, it feels like a good match with my 300mm steering wheel.

This is Dave's Short Shift Kit, on Science of Speed's shifter stalk, why do you refer to it as a 'NSX-R Short Shifter'?

fwiw, I installed Dave's kit on my car, and felt limited difference... I know of several other nsx'rs who have had the same experience with this linkage. The short-height knob makes the most difference, as far as shifting throw is concerned.

Either way, nice write up of the installation... there is another writeup with pictures for Dave's kit installation, including a copy of the directions.

thanks for taking the time to do such a great writeup for the community!

You rock! That is the best write up I've seen on the install. Kudos to you!

I have the Comptech short shift kit. Haven't installed it. I'm going to a 6 speed so I figure I'll do it when I swap out Transmissions. Anybody have an opinion on Comptech's design? Can I add a short stalk to that as well?

I have the Comptech short shift kit. Haven't installed it. I'm going to a 6 speed so I figure I'll do it when I swap out Transmissions. Anybody have an opinion on Comptech's design? Can I add a short stalk to that as well?

Dave's Short Shift Kit reduce forward and backwards shifting throw by approximately 25%. The Comptech short Shift also reduce side to side shifting. I would go with Dave/SOS short shift kit, just to cut down on the chance to shift from 5 to 2 gear.

You can add the short stalk on either short shift kit.

Dave's Short Shift Kit reduce forward and backwards shifting throw by approximately 25%. The Comptech short Shift also reduce side to side shifting. I would go with Dave/SOS short shift kit, just to cut down on the chance to shift from 5 to 2 gear.

You can add the short stalk on either short shift kit.

Yes... the dreaded 5th-to-2nd downshift.

But, you can still use the Comptech Short Shift kit... or, at least HALF of it. ONLY install the parts that shorted the front-to-back shift and leave OUT the side-to-side parts.

Great job as usual Steve......keep up the good work. How do you like the JRZ's? :smile:

I have no idea why people say comptech short shifter is more prone to 5-2 shift. I have never had any problem shifting with the comptech short shifter even on the track.(with regular knob).

If anything, over-shortening the throw such as using the short shifter with the ultra-low shift knob is more prone to 5-2 shift in my opinion. Why? You are probably shortening the side-side motion more with this mod than just with comptech short shifter with regular knob, plus the shifting takes more effort which means if you are on the track where you don't have too much time shifting and having to shift really hard, you could easily push the lever into 2nd gear.

Not knocking on the OP, just ranting. :redface:

Wow great writeup for sure - thanks for taking your time to document the work since I know that takes even more time and thought! mad props! :)

I'm still debating if I want to go through all that work so for now, just going to replace the shift knob and boot with a NSX-R version.

For those who have a new body style on a 2004 model, how do you remove the shift knob? Does it just unscrew?

thanks
rick

steve always does an excellent write up.

i had these tucked away for almost half a year. found some free time decided to put them in over the past weekend.
here are some pics of my Comptech short shifter kit with the nsx-r gear lever shaft i got from Science of Speed.
i recommend the NSX-R shaft if you want to install a new shift knob correctly.

i used 2 lock nuts. larger one on top for the knob, and lower for the boot zip tie.
the lower smaller is recessed so it goes deeper.

shifting is night and day difference.
drove my friend's nsx with the stock shifter and it's just too much of a throw.
i will never go back to stock.

DSCN1187_copy.jpg

DSCN1193_copy.jpg

DSCN1190_copy.jpg

DSCN1195_copy.jpg

rick,
for the 04 and 05 knobs, im taking a wild guess.
i believe if you pull the boot down, it'll expose a 13mm or 14mm nut.
use an open ended wrench to loosen that and the knob should spin off freely.

Last edited:
or those who have a new body style on a 2004 model, how do you remove the shift knob? Does it just unscrew?

thanks
rick

Rick if memory serves me right, I think you have to remove the center console and clip a little zip tie under the knob first. Then you loosen the nut a little and the knob unscrews.

I have the R knob, the R stalk, and Dave's SS kit. I love how it feels now. Stock feels like it is just HUGE throws to me now. I also gained a lot of mechanical "feel" in the knob. You can feel the gear changes right into your palm. FWIW, I think you should get the R stalk. The R knob will not screw down very far on the stock stalk. It will just hit the fat section way before you reach the end of the threading. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get it. The R stalk is a necessity IMO.

I know this is an older thread, but I am finally getting around to install a Dave's Short Shift kit and a SOS Short Gear Stalk. Looking through the this thread which is very helpful BTW. I need to clarify something before I take apart my shifter assembly. The picture shown here >> http://www.nsx1.com/images/shifter/shifter20_1280.jpg with the "D" shaped washer and the nut (nylon locking type?)....was this included in either the Dave's Short Shift kit or in SOS Short Gear Stalk? Or is this taken off of the stock shifter assembly? Please advice, TIA.

I know this is an older thread, but I am finally getting around to install a Dave's Short Shift kit and a SOS Short Gear Stalk. Looking through the this thread which is very helpful BTW. I need to clarify something before I take apart my shifter assembly. The picture shown here >> http://www.nsx1.com/images/shifter/shifter20_1280.jpg with the "D" shaped washer and the nut (nylon locking type?)....was this included in either the Dave's Short Shift kit or in SOS Short Gear Stalk? Or is this taken off of the stock shifter assembly? Please advice, TIA.

Those are OEM parts... they came off the shifter linkage when I disassembled it. The nut is a self locking type nut, but not nylon.

Don't worry, it's all obvious when you get in there.

Back