• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sometimes car won't start when clutch is pressed...help

I took my car out for a drive yesterday and something happened. When I stepped on the clutch the car wouldn't start. I released the clutch then pressed it down again, still no start. I pressed it in/out a couple of times and tried to start it again and nothing..On the last try, after trying it to press it in as much as I can it started. After this everything was normal as far as shifiting in/out of gears, no problem.

I'm wondering if it could be that little push pin for the clutch pedal that may be the problem? Maybe it's getting stuck or something?

Any suggestions or help is appreciated, thanks.

btw, battery and fuel pump are fine.

First thing I would look at is the ignition switch. See if you can get the dash lights to flicker when you wiggle the key in the "ON" position.

Having a clutch switch go bad would be very rare.

good luck

Hi David,

I tried your suggestion and that didn't work, all the lights stayed on without a twitch. It's like this....In order to start our cars, we have to press the clutch pedal down then turn the key before the engine will turn over. Well, my pedal needs to be pressed down but then needs an extra push in order for it to start. The extra push is the key to getting it started.

Could there be some sort of button, switch, release mechanism that needs to be activated (by and at the clutch pedal area) before the car will start that's maybe loose on mine?

TIA

I think you need to investigate the clutch switch. The switch is there to keep the starter from engaging, if the clutch is not all the way disengaged.

Look at page 12-4 in the on-line 1991 service manual for a pic of the switch(Clutch Pedal Switch "B" ) arrangement. FYI - Clutch Pedal Switch "A" is for the Cruise Control, not the starter.

The switch could be sticky from non-use:).

HTH,
LarryB

It's very possible that the clutch switch may be sticking.

I have a question though. When you say that the car will not start, are you saying the engine will crank but will not start?
Or are you saying it will not crank at all?
If it cranks w/out starting, I'd start with the main relay behind the seats in the middle of the rear firewall.
If it doesn't crank, I'd check the battery cables, starter conections, clutch switch, relays, and even though the lights work you may want to look at the ignition switch.
As you can imagine, it's hard to diagnose some things over the web. But these are things you can check quickly.
Hope I was of some help, let me know if I can help further.
Barney

ok so I go to check the switch and at first I couldn't see/find it. Just trying to fit under the dash with your hands free to move the pedals is a feat in and of itself!

What I noticed is that the switch doesn't really get pushed in too much. Is this how it's suppose to be? To get it out do I unscrew the nut behind it? Before I replace it I'd like to see if it's sticking or is actually defective.

Thanks,

Hi Richard,

I am not sure about the actual stroke of the switch, but you can use an ohmmeter to check if the switch opens and closes. The adjustment is on the page I referenced above:).

Sure is a PITA to get under there,huh:)? Heck I am 5'4" and I can hardly get out, once I get under there!!

HTH,
LarryB

Veleno said:
ok so I go to check the switch and at first I couldn't see/find it. Just trying to fit under the dash with your hands free to move the pedals is a feat in and of itself!

What I noticed is that the switch doesn't really get pushed in too much. Is this how it's suppose to be? To get it out do I unscrew the nut behind it? Before I replace it I'd like to see if it's sticking or is actually defective.

Thanks,

As far as getting under the dash and pushing the pedal at the same time goes, welcome to my world.

Loosen the nut, take the harness off of the switch, take the switch out, and measure resistance across the terminals while you push the switch. You should see a difference in resistance. If you do, more than likely the switch is good. If not, the switch is bad. Let me know if I can help further. Have a great weekend all,
Barney

UPDATE...

Well it turned out to be those plastic tabs that connect to the end of the clutch pedal and push the clutch switch in. It was a tight squeeze and I had to remove the clutch switch to get the tab in on the way top of the clutch pedal. Easy fix but took some "think time" to figure out how to push it in the hole when your hands won't fit!

Thanks for the help guys.

Back