• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What type of suspension is the best for ride and handling...?

Parts have been sitting here since then. Super busy with my business, record year :-> and it will be over the holidays before I can get to it. ill post when it's done.

Parts have been sitting here since then. Super busy with my business, record year :-> and it will be over the holidays before I can get to it. ill post when it's done.
Cool look forward to hearing about it.

Science of Speed says they can still get the S units... maybe I need to confirm.
I checked with SOS and the Type S is very limited and has to be pieced together part by part.

Last edited:
Is there anyone who tried to make/fit an adaptive suspension under the NSX?
KW DDC with KW ECU, or TEIN EDFC?

(I have the KW v3 and looking for a high end solution)

Is there anyone who tried to make/fit an adaptive suspension under the NSX?
KW DDC with KW ECU, or TEIN EDFC?

(I have the KW v3 and looking for a high end solution)
No one i'm aware of makes an adaptive kit for the NSX. JRZ teased one at SEMA around 2019 IIRC but to this day it's only been available to corporate clients, not the end user.

I've considered 3D printing a mount to my JRZs for the EDFC but i've heard the micro servo motors they use has little torque. The JRZ knobs require considerable effort. Fortune Auto makes a servo controller but it's kind of a bandaid solution like the Tein so I question it's practical usage.

1715029645149.png

No one i'm aware of makes an adaptive kit for the NSX. JRZ teased one at SEMA around 2019 IIRC but to this day it's only been available to corporate clients, not the end user.

I've considered 3D printing a mount to my JRZs for the EDFC but i've heard the micro servo motors they use has little torque. The JRZ knobs require considerable effort. Fortune Auto makes a servo controller but it's kind of a bandaid solution like the Tein so I question it's practical usage.

View attachment 190552

So then what is the current high end solution for the NSX then?
From KW I got only the v3 you can get. (Which I alraedy have and we all know it's outdated).
JRZ RS PRO 3; Moton 3 way, Nitron R3 these 3 are compatible with the NSX based on their support.

From KW I got only the v3 you can get. (Which I alraedy have and we all know it's outdated).
JRZ RS PRO 3; Moton 3 way, Nitron R3 these 3 are compatible with the NSX based on their support.
Don't forget MCS. I'm very happy with my set. They offer 2 and 3-way solutions as well. I'm using a one-way.

I'm not sure what your suspension background is, but just in case you're an amateur like I am what I learned was that the high end suspension are only as good as the tuning. Actually, it's much easier to have high end dampers ride like Poo Poo than it is for mediocre ones that were tuned for the car (e.g. KW V3).

@stuntman is currently testing a new KW 4-way (or 5-way? I can't remember) damper system for the NSX. It looks super fancy.
I think it's hard to go wrong with the big names (MCS, JRZ, Nitron, etc..). I'm quite happy, possibly even IN-LOVE, with my JRZ RS Pro (2-way) but after 8yrs of tweaking knobs and learning it I wish I would have splurged for the 3-ways. I can still upgrade my existing units though.. so there's that option on the table.

I think the question is... find a vendor that has experience valving for the NSX so you're at least "in the ballpark" when you're turning knobs. I can only attest to the JRZ's but others have had good experience with the MCS and even the long travel Ohlins DFVs. Both Ohlins and MCS are sort of new kids on the block. JRZ, Moton, KW, they've been availble for the platform for a while. I have zero experience with Motons fwiw so cannot comment on them. I don't see many using them any longer.

I'm not sure what your suspension background is, but just in case you're an amateur like I am what I learned was that the high end suspension are only as good as the tuning. Actually, it's much easier to have high end dampers ride like Poo Poo than it is for mediocre ones that were tuned for the car (e.g. KW V3).

@stuntman is currently testing a new KW 4-way (or 5-way? I can't remember) damper system for the NSX. It looks super fancy.
I think it's hard to go wrong with the big names (MCS, JRZ, Nitron, etc..). I'm quite happy, possibly even IN-LOVE, with my JRZ RS Pro (2-way) but after 8yrs of tweaking knobs and learning it I wish I would have splurged for the 3-ways. I can still upgrade my existing units though.. so there's that option on the table.

I think the question is... find a vendor that has experience valving for the NSX so you're at least "in the ballpark" when you're turning knobs. I can only attest to the JRZ's but others have had good experience with the MCS and even the long travel Ohlins DFVs. Both Ohlins and MCS are sort of new kids on the block. JRZ, Moton, KW, they've been availble for the platform for a while. I have zero experience with Motons fwiw so cannot comment on them. I don't see many using them any longer.

I use what KW was tested it with. But KW v3 is still not a 2 or more way so doesn't matter how well you "tune" it will be never be as good as the new generation.

Attachments

• ea-KWESAV3-68577174.pdf
    608.4 KB · Views: 4
I'm impressed with my Ohlin set from sakebomb

Generally speaking, what's the lifespan of the original OEM suspension? As far as I know my car is still on the original suspension from 2003, with around 50,000 relatively easy miles.

everything slowly loses performance over time, If you want that new sharper feeling like it was 2003 again then refresh..

Generally speaking, what's the lifespan of the original OEM suspension? As far as I know my car is still on the original suspension from 2003, with around 50,000 relatively easy miles.
Around 100,000 miles. Honda requires that spec from Showa, who builds them. You start to see them get tired after 50-75k.

After a brief search, here are some prices I found for different NSX coilover setups:

JRZ RS - 1 way - $2,575
JRZ RS - 2 way - $3,250
JRZ RS Pro - 2 way - $4,080 - $4,807
JRZ RS Pro - 3 way - $5,080

JRZ 11 Series 2-way - $5,520 - $6,575
JRZ 12 Series 3-way - $8,375 - $9,030
JRZ 13 Series 4-way - $12,977

MCS 1-way - $2,650 - $4,692
MCS 2-way - $3,350 - $6,612
MCS 3-way - $5,900 - $8,272
MCS 4-way - $9,630

Moton 2-way - $4,640 - $6,046
Moton 3-way - $7,600 - $9,099

Ohlins DFV 1-way - $4,245

KW Variant 3 2-way - $3,125
KW Variant 5 4-way - $6,400

The KW V5 is a heck of a deal. None of those dampers use solid piston technology and it is by far the least expensive 4-way damper and is less expensive than many 3-way dampers.

***When looking into purchasing a high-end racing coilover, it's important to consider who is selling them because THEY CAN VARY SIGNIFICANTLY in terms of fitment, suspension travel, damping, comfort, handling, etc... depending on who builds them / specified the damper body lengths, damping curves, spring rates, etc..

It is unlikely for a JRZ 11 Series 2-way from company X to be the same dimensions, fit, ride, or handle the same as a JRZ 11 Series 2-way from company Y. This is because JRZ, MCS, Moton, and Ohlins do not develop a 'kit' for a given platform. Their business model is to cater to race teams and shops. Shops will then determine all of the above and then come up with their own 'spec', and then have the suspension company (JRZ, MCS, Moton) build dampers for them to their spec; which they sell to the customer.

This might be eye-opening for many people since the general belief is that suspension manufacturers develop a product for a platform, and then retail shops sell them. This is true for Tein, Bilstein, BC Racing, FEAL, K-Tuned, D2, CEIKA, Megan, Fortune Auto, and KW. However, KW is known to put a lot of time, effort and engineering into their suspension systems for each platform, where other manufacturers can vary significantly in the eingeering and end result. This is also where the KW V5 4-way becomes a more consistent plug-and-play option.

This doesn't mean that a racing coilover setup would be bad by any means, but it's important to purchase one of those suspensions from a company familiar with the NSX, who has sold a lot of them, and supports their customers rather than throwing something together with no experience for a few hundred dollars less than an experienced NSX shop.

Back