• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

3.0 to 3.2 swap

Has anyone swapped from a 91-96 3.0L motor to a 97+ 3.2L motor? How difficult is the transition? I have an oppurtunity to purchase a 3.2L motor out of a wreaked NSX, that is still in excellent condition for a good price. I am thinking about rebuiling the motor as a side project, decking, pistons, crack, etc. Then transplanting it into my '95 NSX-T. Anyone tried this yet?

------------------
Brian
Austin,TX
95 NSX-T Black/Black

Talk to Comptech; I think they have gone through this a few times. Also, I believe shop Doug H. is affiliated with has done it.

If you buy the motor, you should try to get them to include all the accessories and the harness.

By the way, is the cost to buy the motor and do the swap less than modifying you current motor to above 3.2L power levels?

Also, is the cost of converting from the 3.0L to the 3.2L engine greater than just trading the 3.0L NSX + $$ in for a real 3.2L NSX?

Also, is the cost of converting from the 3.0L to the 3.2L engine greater than just trading the 3.0L NSX + $$ in for a real 3.2L NSX

...after taking into account that the newer NSX will ALWAYS have a higher market value, and that the older NSX may be more difficult to sell with a non-original engine.

Brian - not sure you care about value, and if its a great deal, like you stated, then it definately sounds like a fun project to work on. If you plan on doing this when I'm back in town (that is, if you do it yourself) count me in, would love to help out!

------------------

Yes. What I mean is this. Let's say you have a '95 NSX-T worth $50K and it costs you $10K to replace the engine with a 3.2-liter. So that option "costs" you $60K. Instead, you could buy a '97 NSX-T for $65K. Yes, buying the '97 would have cost you $5K more than the engine swap. BUT the '97 will be worth maybe $10K more than the '95 with the swapped engine. So, even though it's costing you more to get the '97, you'll have a car with increased market value, so it pays to trade up to the '97 instead of swapping engines on the '95.

Originally posted by David:
Talk to Comptech; I think they have gone through this a few times. Also, I believe shop Doug H. is affiliated with has done it.

If you buy the motor, you should try to get them to include all the accessories and the harness.

By the way, is the cost to buy the motor and do the swap less than modifying you current motor to above 3.2L power levels?

If you are talking about Doug Hayashi, I saw his car and he has not swapped a 3.0 to a 3.2. He still has the 3.0 . He did change to a six speed though.

aaaaa hahahahahaha

Very funny Avatar David... still laughing :-)

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

Back