• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

4th Gen iPhone Revealed

I want one!!!!

I've been waiting for the Verizon to get the iPhone for almost 5 years. I still have my Treo (don't laugh) because I didn't want a new phone until I could get a Verizon iPhone.

The AT&T 5 year exclusive contract ends this summer. So a Verizon iPhone could be available any time after that unless AT&T gets an extension.

I want one!!!!

I've been waiting for the Verizon to get the iPhone for almost 5 years. I still have my Treo (don't laugh) because I didn't want a new phone until I could get a Verizon iPhone.

The AT&T 5 year exclusive contract ends this summer. So a Verizon iPhone could be available any time after that unless AT&T gets an extension.

There have been rumors forever. I don't think there is any solid proof. I wouldn't hold your breath.

There are plenty of good phones on verizon. Storm 2, Droid..

There have been rumors forever. I don't think there is any solid proof. I wouldn't hold your breath.

There are plenty of good phones on verizon. Storm 2, Droid..

I've waited 5 years so what's another year? :biggrin:

It makes a lot of business sense for Apple to go Verizon since they have the largest client base in the US. I've heard all the rumors and also heard they (Apple) is working on the non sim card version of the iPhone for the Verizon network. Perhaps in 2011.

I really hope you're right. I've been waiting for this ever since the iphone was released. Verizon just pwns all the other providers out here in vegas and I could never justify the switch to AT&T just b/c of a phone.

Don't worry. A very good friend of mine has first hand knowledge of the iPhone for Verizon. It's planned, it's just the timeline that is in question.

I don't ask anymore for fear of betraying confidence but, I can say, w/o fear of contradiction, that it'll happen.

I've waited 5 years so what's another year? :biggrin:

It makes a lot of business sense for Apple to go Verizon since they have the largest client base in the US. I've heard all the rumors and also heard they (Apple) is working on the non sim card version of the iPhone for the Verizon network. Perhaps in 2011.

Well, with Verizons Aggressive roll-out of LTE (4G), I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon got the iPhone on LTE and they skipped CDMA. Now THAT would be impressive.

Just give me a basic phone that holds a long charge and dials phone #'s and I happy. I also don't have/want a home computer, so I guess I am weird. :tongue:

And IMO Gizmodo is an asshole for outing the guy like that. They'd better hope the Sheriff doesn't come knocking at their door looking for someone to arrest for buying stolen property.

I think apple is the one with questionable conduct here. The response has been disproportionately heavy handed considering the whole episode was started by apple's own incompetence. If keeping the prototype secret was important enough to warrant deploying a multi-agency task force to bust down the gizmodo editor's door, what the hell was the phone doing out in public anyway? The police busts down doors for terrorists, murders and drug dealers... but a gadget journalist's home? WTF? Lock the thing up in a vault somewhere. Chain it to an armed guard if you need to test it outside. Don't bring it to a birthday party at a bar somewhere and definitely dont leave it on a stool. If they dont take their own security seriously, why should anyone else?

No, it's not Apple with the questionable conduct.

This article explains the issue clearly...

http://lesposen.wordpress.com/2010/04/28/honda/

"For those who don’t get why Gizmodo is in deep trouble, imagine if the iPhone prototype was a new model Honda about to be released," Les Posen blogs. "Imagine our test driver pulls over and runs into a bar because he desperately needs a restroom. As he asks the bartender where to go, he inadvertently leaves his car keys, with car registration ID, on the counter."

Then imagine that "another patron has picked them up," Posen writes. "Let’s imagine for a moment the patron glances at the keys, and notes the car registration number. He looks through the bar window and matches car to keys. But it’s a most unusual looking car. Let’s now imagine the patron is something of a car afficionado and knows a disguised new model when he sees one. What to do?"

Posen asks, "Does he call out in the bar, 'Hey anyone lose a set of keys?' or 'Hey, who owns the funny looking car out there – I think these are your keys.' Or does he simply hand the keys to the bartender saying, 'I found these on the floor?'"

None of the above.

My 2 year contract with ATT is finaly up. Now I want to upgrade my original iphone to at least 3G or 3GS, I don't want another 2 year contract. Does anyone know what can be done about this? if verizon gets this phone I am switching. I don't want to be under a 2 year term with ATT.

Just give me a basic phone that holds a long charge and dials phone #'s and I happy. I also don't have/want a home computer, so I guess I am weird. :tongue:

So from where did you make this post? The library? :tongue:

No, it's not Apple with the questionable conduct.

This article explains the issue clearly...

http://lesposen.wordpress.com/2010/04/28/honda/

Les Posen's blog presents some interesting yet incorrect arguments. He implies that the finder did not attempt to identify the owner, yet all published reports I have seen indicate the finder thought he already knew the owner (ie, someone from his drinking circle) and that he took the phone with the intent of returning it. When it becomes apparent that his initial info was wrong and that this was a pre-production iphone, the finder makes additional attempts to directy contact apple only to be turned away. Even when gizmodo pays to see it, the terms of the deal were that gizmodo would return it to the owner (which it did). While the finder doesn't get an A for effort, he certainly can't be faulted for not trying either.

Furthermore Posen insinuates that the perceived crime as being rather heinous with his pre-production car analogy, yet he fails to demonstrate how it equates to the motive and actions of the finder. The car thief is described as intentionally taking the keys, seeking out the car, breaking in, and ultimately driving off with it (making a series of deliberate and premeditated choices). Our finder on the other hand hasn't a clue that its a prototype, has no intention of stealing it, and brings it home thinking he's helping his buddy out by holding onto it. What the finder does after discovering its a prototype isnt the most admirable of options, but it hardly elevates it to the level of grand theft auto. Nice try Posen.

This brings me back to my original point that apple shares culpability in the breach, but is is so busy kicking down doors that it hasn't bothered addressing why the breach was possible in the first place. Apple should be counting its blessings that the phone ended up at a news outlet getting tons of publicity rather than being secretly dissected in a chinese lab somewhere. Imagine what would happen if some competitor releases some simple yet pivotal "feature" months before apple announces theirs. Who would be considered the copycat then?

If the 4th gen iPhone will use a micro sim it will be impossible to swich it to T-Mobile. Even if you get it unlocked how are you going to put your sim in there? :)

Trim your SIM card with an xacto knife or scissors down to MicroSIM size. ;)

It's not a rumor at all, Jimbo. The only thing debatable is the timeline.

I want one!!!!

If it was really a 5 year contract, then there are still 2 years to go.

Well, with Verizons Aggressive roll-out of LTE (4G), I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon got the iPhone on LTE and they skipped CDMA. Now THAT would be impressive.

There has only been speculation and rumors that Verizon will be getting the iPhone. The closest thing to having something officially mentioned, was Verizon's CEO making a statement asking Apple/SJ for the iPhone, that they really wanted it.

And there's still 2 years left on the exclusivity contract, so the earliest Verizon could get the iPhone would be June 2012.

I've always said that Verizon would not get the iPhone until they switched to LTE/4G, and by the look of things, that's probably what will end up happening. I'll say it again, NO CDMA iPhone.

By the time LTE rolls around, it won't matter what provider you have to a certain degree. If they're all on LTE, you will be covered, no matter the provider and where you are located. They will have roaming agreements between them.

If that were the case, I might end up going back to T-mobile, as they have some of the best rates in my experience.

Verizon letting go of the iPhone when first offered, is like Honda letting go of what turned out to be BrawnGP. Bet they regret it everyday.

Last edited:
My wife works for Verizon. I hear updates about the iPhone and their relationship with Apple all the time.

And unless they're misleading on a grand scale by tasking entire finance, accounting, marketing, and project management teams to iPhone implementation, I guess you could be correct. ;)

My wife works for Verizon. I hear updates about the iPhone and their relationship with Apple all the time.

And unless they're misleading on a grand scale by tasking entire finance, accounting, marketing, and project management teams to iPhone implementation, I guess you could be correct. ;)

What does your wife do for Verizon?

Well, let's just say that she doesn't work at the corner Verizon store.

Back