• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

5-Point Harness and OEM seats

I take it your not Joe Marko who you cut and pasted this from?

LOL... he is Joe Marko by day and Hijacker by night...

2087701-hijacker_venom_9_edited_large.jpg

I guess I "hijacked" the post. Regardless, the point still holds true.

Next time, I'll be sure to fully quote and cite sources using APA guidelines to appease those who find it necessary.

I have read a lot on this subject and some of it is just common sense. If you look at the types of injures it is clear that being harnessed in properly is more important than worrying about a collapsing roof on a harnessed body. A 3point harness is a shitty way to restrain someone. It is there because no manufacturer will be able to get average joe's to strap into a 5-6 point everytime they want to get milk from the corner store.

I think I have seen more crash test videos than anyone now, and I am amazed at how much the belts flex and the body moves around in the cabin. Much more so with 3 points. These movements are so violent, that I am certain injuries are occuring even if the body didn't hit a thing.

The only concern I do have is that I think there is a greater risk in neck injuries because a harness secures the body tighter and the head/neck receives a greater load. There is no HNR at play on the street, but on the track with a helmet and a HNR like a HANS, you are MUCH safer than being in a 3 point which is just improper. I'll take my chances with a roof collapse over a 3 point.

Also I think the article did make a great point in that a seat with too much padding is bad, as it allows for extra movement. Something to be considered.

and I am amazed at how much the belts flex and the body moves around in the cabin. Much more so with 3 points. These movements are so violent, that I am certain injuries are occuring even if the body didn't hit a thing.

The only concern I do have is that I think there is a greater risk in neck injuries because a harness secures the body tighter and the head/neck receives a greater load. There is no HNR at play on the street, but on the track with a helmet and a HNR like a HANS, you are MUCH safer than being in a 3 point which is just improper. I'll take my chances with a roof collapse over a 3 point.

I'm not going to get into this any more than to say this:

A 3pt is very safe on the street when used with the airbag system designed for the vehicle. I see so many people removing the steering wheel airbag on their NSX's (with 3pts!) for an aftermarket wheel. That is a very dangerous thing to do for the reason Turbo gave.

When it comes to safety, it boils down to each of us making our own personal choices and relying on statistics after that. Just please don't make harness systems, seat, and steering wheel choices based on "bling."

Finally, have these harness bars been subjected to a load test? Who inspected the welds? Do they meet SAE Seat Belt Systems Standards? Are my harness belts mounted properly and at the right angles?

All points to be thinking about.

Dave

Back