• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Aaaaaargh! Need Glass Cleaner & Process

Tyr crumpling up a page of newspaper and using it after you have used the paper towel.

try using old newspaper. use commonly in cleaning windows, glass table tops and partitions in house/offices by professional cleaners. use the black/white sections, not the color ones.

Originally posted by pacacu:
try using old newspaper. use commonly in cleaning windows, glass table tops and partitions in house/offices by professional cleaners. use the black/white sections, not the color ones.

For really hard spots you might need to use one of the glass polishes such as the one made by Rain-X. For normal cleaning I agree with the several above who recommend newspaper. I use newspaper with the Stoner brand aerosol cleaner and the combo is awesome. Don't like Windex...

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

Many years ago when I worked detailing cars, we used the following technique...

1. Spray down the window with a liberal amount of ammonia-based glass cleaner.

2. Scrub with extremely fine steelwool. (Somehow it was fine enough that it didn't scratch the glass. Perhaps the pad was made of a softer metal than steel?)

3. Do a final rubdown using a clean cotten towel.

We did this both inside and out and it seemed worked extremely well! But I have never tried this since I stopped working there. Anyone tried something similar?

I always had a problem with the inside of the windshield. It's just so hard to manuever my arm and hand to clean it thoroughly.

One thing that I found that helps is to purchase a plastic-handled scrubber. I use an O'-Cedar scrubber. It's about two feet long, made of a stiff plastic that has a little bit of springiness to it. The end of the handle has a pivoting rectangular head that has a foam pad. It it designed to accept replaceable towellettes.

I use my own low-lint wipes on the head and I spray them with Windex or Stoner's Invisible Glass.

It works well. I just sit in either seat and I'm able to work the entire inside surface of the windshield without being a contortionist.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Based on your reply Jimbo, you know what I am experiencing! I feel like I'm standing on my head half the time to clean the inside front and rear glass to a crystal clear clarity. At this point, the pad and handle, crumpled newspaper, and Stoner's Invisible Glass has caught my interest. Thanks all, and any other processes are appreciated.

Slingshot,

Yes, I feel the same way. I'll try and look for the model number of the handle I found. I think it was originally used for cleaning bathtubs and such.

The other point I'll offer is that you need to clean the glass several times over and over and over. Modern car interiors have a lot of plastics and they leach plasticizers over time. These gases leave a film on the inside of the glass that can be very tough to remove.

If you clean it just once or twice you'll probably be just smearing the plasticizers around over the surface.

The newer the car the worse this is, but even older cars exhibit this tendency, particularly if the car is sealed up during the week or for most of the time.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

I buy the foam polishing pads in bulk because I'm a wax freak. I use one of those with pure distilled vinegar on it and "scrub" however I like Jimbo's idea. Then I use packing paper I get from u-haul to dry versus newspaper. While I don't see ink on my windows from newspaper I have found it on my hands afterwards using newspaper.

Oh yeah …finally streak free glass! Thanks a million guys for all the hints. I have been using an “ammonia free” Turtle Wax product ClearVue; the only thing different in my process was finishing it off with crumpled “black and white only” newspaper and voila! For those of you as frustrated as I with cleaning your stock wheels, the previous owner shared a simple process with me when I asked how he kept them looking like new. After washing the tires and wheels, apply Turtle Wax Formula 2001 Super Protectant on your tires and wheels; let it set for about 15 minutes and wipe off the excess. Next time you wash the car; the wheels clean in seconds and repeat the process.

Originally posted by Slingshot:
No matter how hard I try, I still find swirl marks on my windows. What cleaner and process is the best?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Go to Home Depot and get this aerosol stuff called "Dirtex". I am particular about my glass as well, and this stuff is the best.

Back