• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

ABS Flush problem - solenoid click but no fluid?

• Thread starter Thread starter MvM
  • Start date Start date

MvM

Legendary Member
I am in the process of flushing all my brake fluids in order to resolve a braking problem that I have.
The problem is basically that my rear left tire is locking up quite easily, even before my front brakes and then of course the tail wants to come around.

Checked my brakepads and rotors and they are all fine. This week, I replace my front rotors with new rotors rings but the problem is still there.

So, today, I flushed my ABS-system, using the solenoid technique as describes at www.danoland.com.
This is a procedure which you can follow if you do not have the ABS Bleeder T-Wrench. In short, it is as follows:

Every time, you unhook one of the ABS channel solenoids connector and activate them through a manual switch to let the brake fluid flow back to the reservoir. Then, you suck it out, replace it with new fluid and then activate the ABS pump for 10-15 seconds at a time to suck it all in again.

This works fine for three solenoids. Now, my problem is this:

One solenoid will click when I activate the switch, but there is no brake fluid flowing back to the reservoir. Tried this numerous times and I can hear the solenoid clicking, but no fluid.

Further background.
Car is a 1994 model NSX.
Racing Brake 324x28mm rotors front, 97+ sized 303x23mm rotors in the rear.
All fuses including ABS-fuses are OK. No warning lights at all.
The four connectors are arranged in a 12/34 configuration. The one giving me this problem is number 2 (so the one on the right on the back row) with the three wires in a triangle-configuration.
If I read the manual right, this is, in fact, the solenoid for the left rear wheel.

So, my simple question is, is this simply a solenoid refusing to open?
And if so, what is the solution to this problem.

I had that problem with one sticking too. I ran the ABS to accum pump rapidly a few times then went directly to activate the solenoid switch. Don't know if that helped or it finally unstuck.

I had that problem with one sticking too. I ran the ABS to accum pump rapidly a few times then went directly to activate the solenoid switch. Don't know if that helped or it finally unstuck.

Thanks you for the tip.
Have done that and I have finally managed to get that stuck valve to open.

However, when I went for a test-drive, after a few hard stops I now have an extremely soft brake pedal. Then the parking brake light came on and a mintue later both the ABS and TCS light.

Have check the solenoids again and the fluid is fine.
I am not sure, but I think somehow some air has gotten into the brake-system because there are no leaks.
Just hope now that everything will be ok after I flush my brakes.

Back