• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Adding MP3 player and satellite radio.

Remodeling your center console by cutting (dremel tool) a Double DIN size opening, shaping (boxing the opening from behind), filling (bondo and fiberglass), sanding (sandpaper), and painting (paint), your center console would be a great winter project in Michigan and would be super-cheap. The expense would be filling the opening...

LOL - I don't have the skill or knowledge (or desire, really) to take on such a project myself. I agonized for 2 days whether to remove an engine piece to paint it and that was only 2 bolts and not connected to other parts!:biggrin:

As to "winter project in Michigan" - my garage has as of this moment a temperature of about 5 degrees F. To cold to do any work.

The expense would be filling the opening...
LOL

What type of cable/connector gets the signal from the XM radio to the USA Spec? Is there an RCA out on the Roady car kit?

The Roady will have a 1/8 stereo mini-plug output, so you'll need to get an adapter to switch to RCA cables for the USA Spec device. I have this set up in my car (with the my Pioneer Inno XM device mounted on a Panavise bracket) and the second cable running to the center console box (which I use to connect my Mogul or my iPod). Sound is great from all input sources and it's a great addition - thanks to Motegi, Larry B. and Brian K. and for all of their assistance with the install.

BTW, highly recommend that you add a panavise bracket when you install the USA Spec. It's a very nice device.

Another stupid question. If disc 6 is XM, how do you go from ipod to XM & back? How do you just listen to regular radio? Basically, how do you swap sources coming out of the USA-Spec or just ignore it all together? Thanks.

I would imagine going from disc 6 (XM) back to disc 1 - 5 (iPod) would be as simple as using the head units cd changer control. Then just use the source button to get back to regular radio.

I would imagine going from disc 6 (XM) back to disc 1 - 5 (iPod) would be as simple as using the head units cd changer control. Then just use the source button to get back to regular radio.

That is correct! It is VERY simple to control the USA*Spec since the head unit basically considers it as a CD changer. Basically all you do is select between CD6 track 1 and track 2 to go from input 1 to input 2 on the USA*Spec.

BTW Michigan NSX go to my webpage for a step by step photo tutorial on how to install the USA*Spec. I cover removal of the center console and even the installation of a Panavise bracket.

http://www.legendtuner.com/LEGENDtuner/upgrades/iPodNSX.html

If you decide to undertake the installation and need a hand I live in Warren and could "drop by" as long as you supply the pizza and pop :biggrin:!!

If you decide to undertake the installation and need a hand I live in Warren and could "drop by" as long as you supply the pizza and pop
DEAL!! Nice to see someone so close to me! I may take you up on that - as soon as the weather warms up a bit. I ordered the USA Spec yesterday (I don't even own my iPod yet :biggrin: )

Thanks for the link (going to read it now :smile: ).

*Off Topic* Is it easy to repaint the center console cover - or does it involve removing the bubbly "sticker", sanding and priming before the paint is applied? *Back On Topic*

Basically all you do is select between CD6 track 1 and track 2 to go from input 1 to input 2 on the USA*Spec.
I'm a little confused here. I was under the impression that discs 1-5 were for iPod and Disc 6 was reserved for the input 2. I didn't think the "track" numbers had anything to do with it (i.e. CD #6, track #1 would still be input #2). Am I mistaken?

Last edited:
I'm a little confused here. I was under the impression that discs 1-5 were for iPod and Disc 6 was reserved for the input 2. I didn't think the "track" numbers had anything to do with it (i.e. CD #6, track #1 would still be input #2). Am I mistaken?

Yes you are correct as far as the PA11 unit is concerned. The PA11 unit does allow for certain control of the iPods basic functions via the factory stereo.

With the DF-HON unit the controls are simplified since all iPod functions are performed via the iPod itself.

Again the main difference between the two is the PA11 is iPod specific in that one input is ONLY for iPods and has one additional AUX input. The DF-HON in addition to being less than 1/2 price has TWO AUX inputs that can be used for ANY devices including iPods.

True - but the PA-11 lets me control the iPod and NOT have it out in the open (either in the trunk or glove box). That appeals to me. By using the playlist function of the PA-11 I can make 5 playlists of any length I choose. That also suits my listening habits.

It was a very nice instructional you did, BTW. :smile:

The PA11 DOES allow direct control (all the normal IPOD controls) from the IPOD itself, as well as playlist control from the head unit.

If simple installation, and replacement of the CD changer is what you want, just put the PA11 in the trunk (connect to the CD changer cable) along with the ipod. That will give you the playlist control only, and no additional wires are necessary as the PA11 will charge the IPOD via the CD changer power as well.

In mine I ran the wires thru the firewall to the center console, put the IPOD in there (so I can use the ipods direct interface, or the playlist mode via the headunit) and put a satellite radio on the 3.5mm connection on the PA11.

Thanks, NSXter. I don't really need to use the iPod control itself (too distracting while driving). I rarely drive more than a half hour at a time - so I think 5 playlists of a 1000 songs each might hold me. :biggrin:

I'm thinking the trunk mount might be the best for me - until I do a big stereo upgrade. :smile:

FAQ

How do I switch between inputs on this installation? It sounds complicated. It is really very simple - it is much harder to describe than to do. For illustration purposes, we will pretend you last listened to AM radio when you turned the oem stereo off.

1. AM - Press the left (power) button on your oem stereo to turn the stereo on, just like always. AM is still selected since that was what you last listened to.
2. FM - Press the right button once on your oem stereo to switch to FM, just like always.
3. XM - Press the right button on your oem stereo once to switch to CD mode, then select CD 6 using the "program" button on the oem stereo (just like always). If your XM receiver is turned on, you will hear XM through your oem car stereo.
4. iPod - Pressing the "program" button once(the oem stereo is still set to CD) will change from "CD 6" (which is not really a CD anymore, it is now XM) to "CD 1" (which is not really a CD anymore either, it is now a playlist) allowing you to listen to playlist 1 on your iPod. Press "program" on the oem stereo again to listen to playlist 2, and so forth for each playlist until you come to "CD 6", which is XM again.

What buttons do I have to press on the iPod? If you have installed the USA-SPEC PA11-HON, none of them. The PA-11 provides total control over the iPod through the oem stereo. Since the PA-11 HON charges the iPod, you have the iPod locked away in the glovebox for safekeeping, and won't have to touch it at all.

How do I get back to regular radio? Press the right button on your oem stereo once (just like always) to get back to AM, press again to get back to FM (just like always).

So when I select CD on my car stereo, it really isn't for CDs anymore, CD mode has been "converted" to XM/iPod? Then I just switch back to AM or FM anytime by pressing the same button on the oem stereo I always pressed? Exactly

What should I do with my CD player? Remove it, along with the CD player mount, and sell them as a pair on NSXPrime or eBay. Or store them with your beloved cassette deck, turntable, Bose 901 speakers, 8-track player, and reel-to-reel in the basement. Leave the cable tucked away in the right side of the trunk.

What if I don't want satellite radio? Not a problem. Delete the XM installation entirely and just connect an iPod plus any other sound device that can be connected with an RCA adapter cable (just about anything) to the PA11-HON. Using a reel-to-reel player (remember those?) as an extreme example, install the reel-to-reel in the trunk, power it with a DC converter, then use an RCA to RCA cable to connect the sound output of the reel-to-reel to the RCA side of the PA11-HON. Now you can listen to the reel-to-reel on "CD 6". Or using a cellphone as a reasonable example, you only need two cables to connect a cellphone to the RCA side of the PA11-HON. Get one cable with one end that plugs into the sound output of your particular cell phone, and the other end that has a 3.5mm female plug. Then get a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect to the PA11-HON. Simply connect the two cables together to hook up the cell phone. Select CD 6 on your oem stereo and you are all set to listen to your cellphone.

Can I take and make "hands-free" phone calls with this setup? Uh, I don't know. I don't see any reason why you couldn't, but I haven't tried it myself and am not sure that it would be practical, so I don't want to say without actually trying it. I intend to test this out though. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
How do I get back to regular radio? Press the right button on your oem stereo once (just like always) to get back to AM, press again to get back to FM (just like always).
You forgot the CASSETTE option! :biggrin:

BTW - I got my PA-11 today. I still don't have my iPod yet, though.

You forgot the CASSETTE option!

Doesn't matter:tongue: - you don't have to press any buttons to play a cassette, you just insert a cassette and it overrides everything and starts playing.

I got my PA-11 today.

An excellent choice...

I still don't have my iPod yet, though

USA-Spec currently states that the latest version of the PA11-HON works with all iPods. This is flat wrong - there are many different iPods. Older iPods don't have a dock-style connector, and an iPod with dock-style connector is required. I do think that the new USA-SPEC PA11-HONs are compatible with more iPods than previous generations of the USA-SPEC adapter. Newer PA11-HONS also now have a "hybrid mode" that combines the best features of direct and playlist modes. Select your iPod carefully, being absolutely sure to purchase one which will interface with the PA11-HON.

So how do I know which ones will work? There is no way for me to test them all - For certain, though, an ipod with dock connector is required. I think that generally speaking, iPod minis, iPod classics, iPod Photos, and iPod videos will work. iPod Nanos may work although I have heard of people having problems getting these to be recognized by the USA-SPEC adapter. Frankly, I am not sure about the Ipod Shuffle, Touch or iPhone.

A co-worker of mine has an iPhone and I keep meaning to borrow her iPhone to see if it will connect and play.

Last edited:
Update - I purchased an Apple iTouch and tried it with the USA-Spec PA11-HON. The head unit would control it, but you couldn't control the iTouch directly. It put up a blocking message stating "adapter connected". The USA-Spec PA11-HON did charge the iTouch.

Back