• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Any iPhone 5 Upgraders?!?! It's HERE!!

Any other early iPhone 5 NSXPrimers out there?

Just had these dropped off by FedEx minutes ago. The driver literally dropped them off in my entryway and RAN back to the truck. Must have a bunch more phone deliveries today... After all I think they literally had millions of phones for delivery today, sept 21...

Actually I was surprised that they don't have signature required as I think these would be a really easy target for thieves. Especially today on RELEASE day when thieves know they will be arriving!

Got a 16gb Black for the wife and a 32gb Black for me. Actually, I am still waiting on another 32gb White that is apparently coming by UPS (different carrier for different color... Go figure!).

Anyway here is the unboxing:

8009248627_2e7ee86d75_z.jpg

8009248143_8af4a6f696_z.jpg

8009247821_c559e19e04_z.jpg

8009247263_9c57c3fb9f_z.jpg

8009255150_726e905789_z.jpg

So, now I am looking at accidental damage coverage warranties. I've been a longtime user of SquareTrade's services but does anyone have experience with AppleCare+ service? The price is about the same...

Also does anyone know where I can pick up a 30 pin dock connector to lightning adapter? My order at Apple is back ordered until sometime in October! Amazon only has preorder for some knockoffs...

Thanks in advance for any answers and lets see some other iPhone 5 early adopters on this thread!!!

Last edited:
Congrats...

Assuming you're upgrading from an older iphone, is it easy to update/upload the contacts, apps, etc... onto the iphone 5? Perhaps just plug into my mac and let itunes do the work?

Here are a couple of pics of the new lightning plug:

8009453390_61bcc85e72_z.jpg

8009453782_78d990a64f_z.jpg

Sorry about the crappy iPhone 4 pics! :tongue:

First impression is just how tiny the new connector is. Second is why they didnt just go with micro/ mini USB.

Ours was supposed to be in. The idiots are our verizon store said it was delayed, even though they said it would be here.:mad:

Congrats...

Assuming you're upgrading from an older iphone, is it easy to update/upload the contacts, apps, etc... onto the iphone 5? Perhaps just plug into my mac and let itunes do the work?

I haven't fired it up yet but I'm sure it'll be just like when I got my work iPhone or iPad. Just plug it into the computer and let it sync everything over.

Ours was supposed to be in. The idiots are our verizon store said it was delayed, even though they said it would be here.:mad:

Sorry to hear about that...

I know that a large number of people who placed orders online at AT&T on Friday 9/14 at 3AM EST on preorder day had their orders pushed back to October!!! Some sort of processing glitch on AT&Ts website.

I actually ordered a 32gb white on Saturday morning vial AT&Ts 1-800 sales dept and it IS on the UPS truck for delivery today. Go figure...

Last edited:
Also I have read that some sizes/colors were in short supply or no supply at various stores. Some shops would only get 16gb black models and no 32gb phones or others received no 16s... Strange.

when did you get in on the pre-order (vendor & service-provider)?

Any other early iPhone 5 NSXPrimers out there?

Just had these dropped off by FedEx minutes ago...
Nice! When did you get in on the September 14th pre-order? I pre-ordered via Apple online-store (for AT&T) right at 1hr of them taking orders. My original ship date was 9/21 (today), the following day it changed to 9/28, and as of now it's 10/5!

I'm looking forward to this iPhone iteration for the 16:9 'like screen for video playback, as I've been doing a lot of Time Warner Cable & ESPN streaming as of late.

The new iTunesU native app is also very neat, lotsa interesting stuff on there to broaden one's horizons professionally & personally.

I may just get a low-profile, dark-opaque "bumper" to keep the metal-edge finish intact AND I don't want to ruin the slim form-factor w/ a case On my previous iPhones, I've used a "sock" which kept them smudge-free & protected against scratches & wet'stuff.

Any opinions on SquareTrade vs AppleCare+ warranties?

I'm not going to use my phone until I pick a warranty...

I've never had to actually make a warranty claim w/ Square but want to know the pros and cons of each from anyone who has had to make a claim.

Some people just say to buy a nice case like an Otterbox or Lifeproof but they aren't infallible and really bulk up the phones. I'm thinking of just using it bare or with just a bumper (en route from Monoprice) and relying on the warranty should disaster strike.

Last edited:
Re: when did you get in on the pre-order (vendor & service-provider)?

Nice! When did you get in on the September 14th pre-order? I pre-ordered via Apple online-store (for AT&T) right at 1hr of them taking orders. My original ship date was 9/21 (today), the following day it changed to 9/28, and as of now it's 10/5!

I'm looking forward to this iPhone iteration for the 16:9 'like screen for video playback, as I've been doing a lot of Time Warner Cable & ESPN streaming as of late.

The new iTunesU native app is also very neat, lotsa interesting stuff on there to broaden one's horizons professionally & personally.

I may just get a low-profile, dark-opaque "bumper" to keep the metal-edge finish intact AND I don't want to ruin the slim form-factor w/ a case On my previous iPhones, I've used a "sock" which kept them smudge-free & protected against scratches & wet'stuff.

Not to upset you or anything but I was having trouble even getting onto AT&Ts site on Friday at 3am EST. I think I tried for about an hour. I did manage to get them into my cart on Apple.com but they would've forced me into a plan change as far as my texting was concerned. I threw in the towel and went to bed. I woke up and finally ordered at 7:59 EST/8:02 EST for the two black ones from AT&T Premier online. The next day, I called in and ordered the white one on SATURDAY and it still made it out on the first batch!! This one was a port from a Sprint number so I did it via AT&T's 1-800 sales dept. It wasn't supposed to get out until 14-21 days!!!

I'm thinking their statement that they are filling orders first come first serve is a bunch of BS as our white phone even shipped before our black ones!!

Last edited:
One thing I am a bit concerned about is the durability of the black anodized finish on the black iPhone 5.

There are already Internet reports about "scuffgate" with the preproduction press models.

not very chipper... where art' my iPhone penta!!!

The iOS6 - Apple "maps" hub'bub I'm finding rather comedic. Almost become a cliche` to have something to build-up, hype, and gripe to level of exuberant absurdity. As-if on cue and/or scripted, it was the hyperbolic antenna-issue for the iPhone 4; now it's the iO6 - Apple "maps" proprietary app.

FWIW, even as of last week, Google-maps on my iPhone 4 was way-way off on certain locations (100's of meters), non-updated business re-locations (which have changed 1-2+ years ago), etc.

Best prose evarrr: YMMV

Not to upset you or anything but I was having trouble even getting onto AT&Ts site on Friday at 3am EST. I think I tried for about an hour. I did manage to get them into my cart on Apple.com...
More-or-less same experience here, AT&T Wireless's site was boggy for me so I wandered over to Apple's online-store & ordered right-away. As soon as my Apple order was accepted & verified, AT&T Wireless online cleared up for me, so go figure... :D

When I acquired my iPhone 4 right at the pre-order launch via AT&T Wireless site, I didn't receive a confirmation email for a day or so to even indicate that my order went thru as their site was slammed (even their customer-service #'s). So, this time I didn't want the anxiousness/tension of that (eligible upgrades & service-contract details can get messed-up/reset when orders get mired in online-oblivion).

I haven't received any FedEx or UPS emails today (nor a shipped-out/tracking-number from Apple) so I don't think I'll be getting a "surprise" at my front-door today.

One thing I am a bit concerned about is the durability of the black anodized finish on the black iPhone 5...
I anticipated as much, hence why I earlier alluded to getting a "bumper" (I didn't get one for my iPhone 4 as the stainless-steel alloy beveled edge was machine-polished not anodized & the front/rear glass was scratch/gouge proof.

Also, take all you hear/read online (and in-person) w/ a grain-of-salt... more-or-less anything Apple (but namely iPhone first-&-foremost) is so polarizing that exaggerations, out-of-scope, and beyond perspective type of generalizations dissent like ablaze jet-fuel. . .

(likewise for other offerings in the marketplace)

Last edited:
Got mine a bit earlier today, really nice phone, I like it a lot. Data isn't enabled at the moment though so that's kinda dumb.

Congrats...

Just make sure your old data is backed up. In iTunes, when your phone is connected, you can right click on the icon and force it to back up the data.

And then just turn your new phone on and follow the instructions, it's quite easy.

Got home and there it was...

Nice!!

I'm kinda jealous now... seeing them both in-store this afternoon the white one is DEFINITELY nicer... The all-black just has no contrast...

Now what was my AT&T return policy...

Last edited:
I got my white iPhone 5 32g this morning at 8:30am at the At&t store. Only a 30 min wait. They still had 16 more. I was surprised not a crazy long line

I was just at one of my local stores this evening to ask about AppleCare+.

There were 3 people outside in line but the store had a couple of dozen phones still left on the shelf...

The entire store was still packed with buyers getting their new phones activated.

I think I'm gonna get the AppleCare+ instead of the SquareTrade warranty.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nf5-Prx19ZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice.

"Can I rub my phone against yours?"

A new pickup line for S III owners

Unfortunately S stands for slower...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410034,00.asp

359041-iphone-5-vs-iphones-chart.jpg

359037-iphone-5-vs-android-chart.jpg

sunspider.jpg

What we REALLY want is a phablet!!!

Phablets are fabulous... didn't you know?!?!?

Its the way of the future!

samsung_phablet.jpg

00d1e9b2bff9414f20cc03f6079b9b06.jpg

0.jpg

lg-optimus-vu-display.jpg

opvu_sc.jpg

Of course that last woman is probably only 4ft 6 but it still looks phab! The phone is as wide as her head!!!

Size matters...

Last edited:
In related news....

If bigger is better I should just carry my iPad around and make Skype calls with it instead of carrying a phone... Could you imagine holding an iPad to your head to make phone calls?

On an aside I think it is strange how the original Motorola Razr Flip phone was so much smaller than phones these days. Just when phones were getting smaller, now we are moving the other way...

moto-razr2-official.jpg

Perhaps its because we Americans are getting wider as well...

I guess in a few years we'll be carrying bag phones again... Remember those?

Or maybe we'll be lugging around phones with 32" 3D 4K LED LCD screens!

My phone needs to be compact enough to fit in my scrub shirt pocket and light enough to not tear it off. I'm NOT going to wear a belt holster or carry a "murse".

Last edited:
Back