• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

any suggestions for NSX Road trip?

Just bought 91 NSX in Colorado. Will be driving it to Florida after clear bra installed in Denver. Fun scenic trip, weather permitting, going thru the Rockies to Ouray, Santa Fe, Dallas and New Orleans. Any thoughts on must do's / must have's? Oil, fuses, etc?

1st investment would be a main relay. {about $60} It will eventually leave you stranded so it's the 1st thing I replaced. I have been to Arkansas a few times on my bike but the roads are excellent, {long and twisty}. I've always wanted to visit the Dragons tail.

1st investment would be a main relay. {about $60} It will eventually leave you stranded so it's the 1st thing I replaced. I have been to Arkansas a few times on my bike but the roads are excellent, {long and twisty}. I've always wanted to visit the Dragons tail.

Yeah, some of the roads in the Ozarks are incredible but The Tail of the Dragon and The Cherohala Skyway are must-do scenic drives on the East coast.

I will assume you called your insurance company before hand. Question though, what do you do about plates? If it is not from a dealer and you do not have temporary tags, what do you do for such a long trip home?

I will assume you called your insurance company before hand. Question though, what do you do about plates? If it is not from a dealer and you do not have temporary tags, what do you do for such a long trip home?

I'm either too nonchalant about driving without the correct hard tags or a lot of people are too funny about the prospect. The truth is probably where you would expect to find it- right in the middle.

I've bought four vehicles on Internet-based deals and have always just brought a hard tag from one of my other vehicles. A more-than-grey area there I suppose but to me the insurance was the larger, common sense concern and which I ALWAYS ensured that I had beforehand. I always drove home in accordance with speed limits and rules of the road and blended in.

Two months ago I bought a Phaeton from a former Michigan State Trooper. I had changed my flights returning from a trip out West and I flew into Lansing, driving it from Lansing to Cincinnati and completing my trip. The trooper told me that I could drive it from the site of purchase to the destination without plates "by the most direct route possible".

He met me at the airport and gave me a bill of sale which he signed and wrote on it the date and time, for the record. I'm not a LEO and someone that is I hope (am sure) will correct me, though the laws may vary from state to state. My guy was a by-the-book fellow and if this were the case he would have balked rather than facilitated.

I hate paper tags because to me they seem like training wheels.

I'm either too nonchalant about driving without the correct hard tags or a lot of people are too funny about the prospect. The truth is probably where you would expect to find it- right in the middle.

I've bought four vehicles on Internet-based deals and have always just brought a hard tag from one of my other vehicles. A more-than-grey area there I suppose but to me the insurance was the larger, common sense concern and which I ALWAYS ensured that I had beforehand. I always drove home in accordance with speed limits and rules of the road and blended in.

Two months ago I bought a Phaeton from a former Michigan State Trooper. I had changed my flights returning from a trip out West and I flew into Lansing, driving it from Lansing to Cincinnati and completing my trip. The trooper told me that I could drive it from the site of purchase to the destination without plates "by the most direct route possible".

He met me at the airport and gave me a bill of sale which he signed and wrote on it the date and time, for the record. I'm not a LEO and someone that is I hope (am sure) will correct me, though the laws may vary from state to state. My guy was a by-the-book fellow and if this were the case he would have balked rather than facilitated.

I hate paper tags because to me they seem like training wheels.

Oh man I loved the paper plate until I got caught in the rain and it started to look warped and junky. When I bought mine, I kept the previous owner's plates on the car for the drive home, then got mine and mailed his back. Not the best way to do it if you're dealing with someone sketchy, but I totally trusted my seller and he obviously trusted me. No issues whatsoever.

If the weather looks good.

I70 west to Copper Mtn ski area then 91 to Leadville 24 to Poncha Springs 50 to Montrose 550 to Durango 160 to Pagosa Springs 84 to Chama then Santa Fe.

or From Durango south to Aztec, Nm across the eastern part of the Navajo res to Jemez and south

or over Wolf Creek pass to Antonito, Co and south to Santa Fe.

I grew up in Colo. Springs and taught high school in Shiprock, NM on the Navajo res.(years ago). Drove back and forth frequently. Hard to go wrong anywhere in SW colorado and northern NM.

These get you a good mix of mountains and some of the starkness of the west.

As long as the weather and road look good.

I bought my NSX in Denver and drove it back to California. It's a great car to drive on a long trip.

Have a great trip,

Sulley

Yeah, some of the roads in the Ozarks are incredible but The Tail of the Dragon and The Cherohala Skyway are must-do scenic drives on the East coast.

I agree "The Tail of the Dragon" is a phenomenal twisty road. :biggrin:

You said New Orleans?????:confused:

The highest auto thefts, outside southern California, in the USA. The roads are horrible too, long concrete bridges through marsh land. Don't get me wrong I have family in New Orleans and I love to visit them, BUT not in my NSX!!

My $0.02 and Happy NSX'n

Make sure it has the T-belt service done. All rubber hoses replaced. Tires are new. New fluids and so on.

Back