• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Anyone running 235/40/17 in front?

I'm thinking of running 235/40/17 for the fronts and 265/35/18 for the rears. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
smile.gif

My main concerns are manuverability and tire rubbing wheel well.

TIA.

Henry.

That front size is really borderline for the traction control system on a '91-93 NSX and you may find that it sets off TCS often or even constantly. (Outer diameter of the front is 5.8 percent greater than stock while that of the front is 1.8 percent greater than stock.) This may be less of a concern on a '94+ NSX though.

Hello,

Currently, thats the exact size tire I run with my NSX and I have no problem with the traction control system.

Ken

------------------
1992 NSX #00015 w/Mod's
1993 Integra Turbo/DFI 550 hp (just sold)
1992 Civic 4 dr 300 hp NOS 97'98' Fastest East Coast G.G.(just sold)
1994 Delsol 350hp NOS
2000 TL w/Mod's new addition =)

"Just can't leave anything STOCK =)"

Ken Ichikawa
Newtyp Tuning

I have that size front. I get a LITTLE rubbing at full steering wheel lock. If your car is seriously lowered you may get a bit more rubbing, but it is a usable size even on a lowered NSX as long as you don't spend all your time parallel parking!

I use 275/35-18 or 285/35-18 rears.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 26 February 2002).]

This is also depends on the offset of the wheels.

Chris Willson tried 2 different wheels one being Technomagnesio with 45 offset, and the other is TE37 with 38 offset. Using same tires (A032) the TE37 rubs, but not the techno.

Chris's car is lowered about 1", maybe even more. Keep in mind that he has AP brake, which the hat is about 5mm thicker than stock. Thus reduces the effective offset on the wheels by 5mm. Example, the same wheels mentioned above will tuck in 5mm more in stock brakes car than the ones with big brake kit.

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 26 February 2002).]

Andrie,

So you are saying the more the wheel sticks out, the higher chance it will rub? Rub against what? Just the wheel well lining or rub against the body of the car?

I'm also running the TE-37 17/18 setup with Eibach spring + '98 oem shocks. Damaging the lining a little is ok, but I just want to damage the body of the car.

Henry.

ps. I'll send out the oem gauge cluster soon.

Originally posted by nsxhk:
Andrie,
Damaging the lining a little is ok, but I just want to damage the body of the car.

Henry.

You can do that for a lot cheaper with a hammer!
biggrin.gif
( I think you meant you DON'T want to damage the body)

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Henry,

The TE37 will damage the lining, and possibly the body. Depends on the suspension u have on the car. With Tein, I don't think you have to worry. Just don't lower them too much.

Too make sure, take of the spring from the shocks and put them on full bump mode (compression). Make measurements to make sure the tires won't touch the fender on bump while the steering wheels turned. Take into account that the full bump mode might not be when the bump stop totally compress onto the shock body. Might be the full compression of the spring. Take measurements on the diameter of the spring wire and count the coils. Dan Tobie made the measurement using type R suspension and it just clear.

Good luck

I have that size with H&R, and 38 offset. It will rub the inner body at full lock turn, and will hit the top portion of the splash guard when you hit a small bump at high speed. Rubbing will remove the under coating and expose bare aluminum.

------------------
szerosig.jpg
www.s-zero.net

Jay,

What width is the wheel? and what brake do you have? Cause the TE37 will rub in hard turn. We tested it in Laguna Seca. But then again, the effective offset was reduced to 33 due to thicker brake hats.

I tried it on a car with H&R springs and it is almost undrivable. It will rub when it hit moderate bump. It rub on the track almost every turn. And it finally rip the fender liner apart.

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 27 February 2002).]

I run the 235/40zr17 S03 and have run A032R in the same size.

I don't think TCS is an issue, from memory, it is the ratio front to rear that the TCS uses, not the total diameter of the front tire.

There are a couple things that determine if a tire will rub including:
1. total diameter of tire
2. width of tire
3. placement of tire within the fender (offset & rim width)
4. profile of tire (are the edges more rolled than square)?

With the S03, I haven't rubbed once yet since I've owned them, which I am VERY happy about. My car has the old style tecnomagnesio wheel and TEIN suspension which is lowered 1.25" in front, 1.0" in rear. While 215 is sifficient for street driving, I prefer the 235 front, especially if you use a big brake kit.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:
Jay,

What width is the wheel? and what brake do you have? Cause the TE37 will rub in hard turn. We tested it in Laguna Seca. But then again, the effective offset was reduced to 33 due to thicker brake hats.

I tried it on a car with H&R springs and it is almost undrivable. It will rub when it hit moderate bump. It rub on the track almost every turn. And it finally rip the fender liner apart.

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 27 February 2002).]

I have 17x8 with stock brakes. You're right about being undrivable. During Canyon Ball Run, I was unable to go full speed on uneven surfaces of the road. But normal street driving is not bad.

------------------
szerosig.jpg
www.s-zero.net

Back