• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

anyone up for a drive and lunch?

Due to my schedule, I’ve been unable to enjoy driving the NSX for several months and I’m planning a drive. I’m planning it for either 19, 20, 26 or 27 of this month. I’m not sure of the exact route yet but I’m pretty sure the “turn-around” point will be where I grab lunch and will be somewhere around Santa Cruz or Capitola. I’ll just pull up an online map and pick out some of the wiggly roads between here and there.:tongue: Or, if any of you who might be interested in doing a drive and lunch already know a good route, I’m all ears. When I drive the car through the mountains I usually just turn here and there with no real route but if others come along I’ll make it more organized so everyone can have an idea of time commitment requirements. I’d also find a few rest stops along the route so we can enjoy some views, take health breaks and re-arrange our order to make sure the faster guys aren’t held up by slower guys (like me). I figure we’d start at like 9, drive to lunch, then drive back with the return drive maybe being more of a view drive than a driving drive, if that makes sense. The first half of the drive would be more aggressive, but nothing crazy.

So, who's interested?

J

James, I'm interested. I'm thinking about driving down to Monterey and grad lunch over there and do the 17 miles drive after. Maybe we can meet the Monterey folks over there as well.

Hey, I might be up for this. My schedule is usually crazy booked on weekends, but I might have a couple of days coming up free. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Once you decide upon the date and location, I'll circulate it w/ the Sac NSXCA group.

Sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye on this thread and see about date and locations.

Doug

Interested, but will depend on date.

Don't forget there's an NSXCA Bay Area Meeting on 7/19. 7/26 won't work for me either but I would be interested.

Jack

Don't forget there's an NSXCA Bay Area Meeting on 7/19. 7/26 won't work for me either but I would be interested.

Jack

I *did* forget about the meeting when I wrote my original post but I've since crossed that date off of my list. I may cross off the 26th also so you and Gary can go since nobody else has listed dates they can't do.

BTW, just because I started this thread, does that mean I have to lead the drive? I don't want to hold anyone up.

J

I *did* forget about the meeting when I wrote my original post but I've since crossed that date off of my list. I may cross off the 26th also so you and Gary can go since nobody else has listed dates they can't do.

BTW, just because I started this thread, does that mean I have to lead the drive? I don't want to hold anyone up.

J

Oh, I thought you guys were going to just change location of meeting in Monterey since your going to be spending $50.00 in gas:biggrin: Kill 2 birds with one stone. JK

J

Dont you have a CTSC? If your not using it I wouldnt mind taking it off your hands...............for free of course:biggrin:

Dont you have a CTSC? If your not using it I wouldnt mind taking it off your hands...............for free of course:biggrin:

I would love to pay what he paid for the CTSC. It is still much cheaper compare to the new CTSC price tag.

So I decided to go on this drive on the 27th. I hope you guys can all make it out. I'll have the route figured out later this week but wanted to tell you all the date so you can mark your calendars.

Does anyone know a good route already? I'm thinking of lunch in Santa Cruz or Capitola. Monterey is a little farther than I'd like to go. If nobody has suggestions, I'll figure out a good route. Oh, and how about a lunch spot location? I'm going on a solo drive this coming Sunday to scope out places that look interesting and can accommodate our cars safely while we eat.

Well, the CTSC doesn't help much on the twisties. :tongue:

J

So I decided to go on this drive on the 27th. I hope you guys can all make it out. I'll have the route figured out later this week but wanted to tell you all the date so you can mark your calendars.

Does anyone know a good route already? I'm thinking of lunch in Santa Cruz or Capitola. Monterey is a little farther than I'd like to go. If nobody has suggestions, I'll figure out a good route. Oh, and how about a lunch spot location? I'm going on a solo drive this coming Sunday to scope out places that look interesting and can accommodate our cars safely while we eat.

Well, the CTSC doesn't help much on the twisties. :tongue:

J

On our return trip, we could drive over Mount Madona and then through some back roads in S. San Jose.

J

Just a thought, but a great route for the day (done something similiar with EuroSunday and Doc Wong).

Start at Ikea in Palo Alto

Head West on Oregon Expressway up Page Mill Road

Cross Skyline Blvd. down Alpine Road

Merge with La Honda Road Hwy 84

Turn South onto Stage Road at San Gregorio

Continue South on Cloverdale Road on Pescadero towards Hwy 1

South on Hwy 1 to Davenport for Lunch (Whale City Bakery & Grill)

After lunch south on Hwy 1 turning left on Bonny Doon Road heading East

Left turn onto Empire Grade heading North

Turn right onto Jameson Creek Road heading East to Hwy 236 and Boulder Creek

Finishing either North Hwy 9 towards Saratoga or East on Bear Creek Road towards Hwy 17 towards Los Gatos

Some serious twisties, I've done this route many times having grown up on Skyline Blvd. Hope this helps.

Jack

Last edited:
Oh, I thought you guys were going to just change location of meeting in Monterey since your going to be spending $50.00 in gas:biggrin: Kill 2 birds with one stone. JK

That is something to think about. Run to monterey an then a meeting an lunch an a run back......bill--.02 :eek:

I test drove the route I have in mind yesterday and it's a great drive. (Thanks, Jack, for the suggested route... I modified it slightly). It has a few stretches of straights where you can just cruise and enjoy the view, mixed in with some pretty fun mid-speed "switchback sweepers" that are really my favorite type of driving, as well as slower, very tight roads. Should have something for everyone on this drive.

Here's the route:
Oregon Expressway which turns into Page Mill Rd.
Head South on 35/Skyline Blvd.
Head South on 9 all the way to 1
Head North on 1 for a few miles to Whale City Bakery and Grill in Davenport for lunch
After lunch, head further up 1 to Pescadero Creek Rd and head East
Hang a right on Alpine Rd and head East a little bit
Then a Left on 35 heading North
Then we’ll head up 84 back up to 35 where we’ll make our last stop
From there, depending on where you live or on your preferences, you can take 35 up the Peninsula, 84 to the East Bay (via Dumbarton) or head back down 35 again to the South Bay.

Personally, I’d usually just take 84 back home but depending on how I feel at that point in the day, I might try a new route home: 35 North to King’s Mountain Rd heading East where it runs back into 84 and from there I’ll go home

A few things to keep in mind:

- make sure to give enough room between cars; driving through mountains sometimes requires sudden braking
- we'll have a few stops for health breaks where we can re-arrange our order to keep the fastest up front
- make sure your windshield is clean; there are portions of road where you're in sunlight driving into a turn that is shaded where the contrast and glare is bad enough without having added junk on there to hinder your view

As for where/when to meet:
McDonald's across the street from IKEA in E. Palo Alto (1721 E Bayshore Rd, East Palo Alto). I think a good start time would be about 9am so be there at no later than 8:45. Is that too late? I know there were some concerns about a late start giving us problems with traffic. I drove the route on a Sunday at about 2pm with very little traffic, but I'm open to earlier if need be.

Who's going to make it? Just so I don't leave anyone behind.

J

So, it is for this Sunday the 27th right?

1. 02#154 - James
2. LarryNSX - Lawrence

Back