• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are 02+ NSX's $100K Cars?

Hmm. not sure if that qualifies as "a number". Really, we are talking about a body kit, contrasting thread stitching, blue dials and a different shift knob. Is there anything missing? That's not really a very long list. I am going to side with NZNick and say there just isn't that much difference.

As for the original topic - when NSXs are $100k cars it will be apparent. The first sign will be that you can't find a half way decent one for sale anywhere, no matter how hard you try. That is when people will start readjusting their budget for a purchase.
And that's what makes horse races. Many owners try and update their cars with the "body kit", but to my knowledge, only one NSX owner, after an accident, tried to "retro" to the flip ups.

Not commenting that one is better than the other - that's a matter of choice.

More just agreeing with the original sentiment that mechanically the big dividing line is NA1/NA2, and it is odd from a purely logical standpoint that the the big dividing line in the market is 2002+. However, looks tend to drive the market.

I saw that orange interior and threw up in my mouth. I am in the market and could spend the ask if I wanted but no way would I buy that car with that interior. For me it is a total deal killer.

Have you actually seen that interior in person? It was my greatest fear when I was on a plane to Washington DC to see my car for the first time. I thought it would be a deal killer myself until I actually saw it. The interior actually color coordinates well with the exterior. It's not as bright as some pictures make it look. Pictures are deceiving on this color. I get nothing but positive comments about my interior. Though, I did replace the oem orange mats with oem black to break up the color a little. Don't let pictures alone make your decision for you. You could be missing out on a great and rare car.

Have you actually seen that interior in person? It was my greatest fear when I was on a plane to Washington DC to see my car for the first time. I thought it would be a deal killer myself until I actually saw it. The interior actually color coordinates well with the exterior. It's not as bright as some pictures make it look. Pictures are deceiving on this color. I get nothing but positive comments about my interior. Though, I did replace the oem orange mats with oem black to break up the color a little. Don't let pictures alone make your decision for you. You could be missing out on a great and rare car.

+1. Has a sharp look in person and is difficult to capture in photos.

I was considering an ivory on silver at one time, and it was a hard sell to myself at first. When I finally sat in a light-color interior Nsx I quickly realized it would be perfectly fine since Honda correctly kept everything within field of vision and above chest-level black, and since my dupa would be covering the largest light-colored item you see when looking in from outside. Even as a 14 year old I never understood why smart people at GM ok'd blue or burgundy interiors with same-color dashboards, steering wheels, A-pillar interior trim, etc. The smart people at Honda, who designed the Nsx while GM folk were committing those atrocities, did it right.

It's been interesting seeing the number of cars being flipped for a profit lately. As I am in the market for a 02+, I've noticed the following in the past year:

'05 LBBP - autotrader for $94K, now on eBay for $129K
'04 LBBP - Prime for $68K, now on Prime for $112K
'05 BB - autotrader for $100K, now on eBay for $124K

It's been interesting seeing the number of cars being flipped for a profit lately. As I am in the market for a 02+, I've noticed the following in the past year:

The important question is....are they actually selling for that or even anywhere near that? I hope they do.

The important question is....are they actually selling for that or even anywhere near that? I hope they do.

If everyone starts asking that, anyone wanting one has to pay that. And that essentially becomes the new "market" value. I hear this argument a lot, that "they aren't selling for that", but they actually do when that is all that is available.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes.... the speculators are in the house now.... And they alone will drive prices up. It is a snowball effect. They buy to resell, so does the next guy... and the next guy... demand goes up when people see they can turn a profit. When they turn profits, demand goes up and so on... left in the cold is the guy that loves the car and can no longer afford one.

It's been said a thousand times by a thousand guys on prime that the best thing about the NSX is (pick one or all) its combination of usable performance, uniqueness, appearance, place in history & impact on the auto industry, technology, ergonomics, reliability, and timelessness while....being so amazingly affordable to buy and insure and keep running. So let's see if all the love is maintained five or 10 years from now when the cost to buy, maintain (decreasing availability of Oem replacement parts) and insure with replacement-value insurance blows the affordability aspect into yesterday's news. :(

Even as a 14 year old I never understood why smart people at GM ok'd blue or burgundy interiors with same-color dashboards, steering wheels, A-pillar interior trim, etc. The smart people at Honda, who designed the Nsx while GM folk were committing those atrocities, did it right.

In the late 80's and early 90's Honda was busy making burgundy interiors with burgundy dashboards just like GM. My parents still have a 1990 Civic sedan with a 100% burgundy interior. I recall thinking it looked ok when I was younger but I recently sat in it and was shocked at how outdated the interior now looks! I never feel this way when sitting in an older Civic that has a black interior. If you plan to keep your car for the long term then a colored interior is probably not the safest choice.

- - - Updated - - -

If everyone starts asking that, anyone wanting one has to pay that. And that essentially becomes the new "market" value. I hear this argument a lot, that "they aren't selling for that", but they actually do when that is all that is available.

So true. NSXs are becoming difficult to buy. There's simply not many of them available for sale at any moment, so the actions of the few sellers can be highly influential. Just look at the title of this thread. We're nearly convinced already that they're $100K cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes.... the speculators are in the house now.... And they alone will drive prices up. It is a snowball effect. They buy to resell, so does the next guy... and the next guy... demand goes up when people see they can turn a profit. When they turn profits, demand goes up and so on... left in the cold is the guy that loves the car and can no longer afford one.

As I said, as the owner of an 02 NSX, I hope they do sell for those prices. However, I have yet to see anyone document or even claim to have sold an NSX for $100+K. Just because some dealers are asking over $100K doesn't set the market. It's what they actually sell them for that will determine the market. I do believe we are going to see NSXs sell for those numbers sometime in the near future. But I don't see any sales that indicate that we are there yet. So those cars will sit until someone is willing to pay over $100K or they will sell for less to avoid taxes and floor plan interest.

I believe there is one NSX currently that could sell for $100k+ but it's not for sale.

It was one of the last if not the actual last NSX sold in the US. It has been in storage in a literal climate controlled bubble and is intended to be a birthday present for the owner's son when he turns 18 in 2023. No miles other than delivery miles.

The owner bought two at the same time, one for himself and one for his soon to be born son.

I believe there is one NSX currently that could sell for $100k+ but it's not for sale.

It was one of the last if not the actual last NSX sold in the US. It has been in storage in a literal climate controlled bubble and is intended to be a birthday present for the owner's son when he turns 18 in 2023. No miles other than delivery miles.

The owner bought two at the same time, one for himself and one for his soon to be born son.

I'm sure it's safe to assume that shortly thereafter, there will be an extremely low mileage wrecked NSX added to the graveyard list.

I had to sell my '96 for down payment on a new house last September, figuring that I would just get another one in a few months. Looks like my timing was off. I bought mine for 40k back in 2012. At the time 40k was a steal for a rare mid-engined all aluminum, reliable, supercar. But at 100k the competition gets pretty stiff, you're talking R8 money and pretty soon R8 v10 money.

MC

In the late 80's and early 90's Honda was busy making burgundy interiors with burgundy dashboards just like GM. My parents still have a 1990 Civic sedan with a 100% burgundy interior. I recall thinking it looked ok when I was younger but I recently sat in it and was shocked at how outdated the interior now looks! I never feel this way when sitting in an older Civic that has a black interior. If you plan to keep your car for the long term then a colored interior is probably not the safest choice

Thanks for correcting my selective memory. :) I don't recall colored Honda interiors maybe because my family had never purchased a foreign car until ironically I started working for Ford and my mom fell in love with Nissans (immediately after I bought a 10-year-old 1991 300ZX....hm....now I know where I get my car love from).

However, I think the NSX interior design trumps any color concerns. The cockpit feel and ergonomics will stand the test of time and stay competitive for a long time, I feel, cassette player and all, blue ivory red or orange interior and all. Just my opinion!

Found some pictures of a early 90's Civic with the full burgundy (wine) interior. Be glad the NSX never came with this color combo. Eeeehhh....

Pardon for a potential thread jack/deviation here but-until you show me a Honda with a colored steering wheell, I'll still call GM interiors the worst offenders!

Back