• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Avon Tech 500??

Hi, I've been having a very good experience with the Kumho MX tires, on and off track. However, the 255/40/17 is on national back order, seems like I need to have a different tire. Anyone have any recommendation?

These tires will be used on Street only, and prossibly going on the trip to nsxpo 05 (4000 miles round trip + and some track time??).

Is the AVON be a better tire than Kumho MX? or should I consider a different one??

NSXDreamer2 said:
Hi, I've been having a very good experience with the Kumho MX tires, on and off track. However, the 255/40/17 is on national back order, seems like I need to have a different tire. Anyone have any recommendation?
If you already have Kumho MX tires on the front, then I would stick with the Kumho MX tires in the rear (assuming you only need to buy two tires, not four). I would suggest just getting a pair of 245/40-17 tires for the rear. That size should work for most NSX fitments (as does the 255). And it's currently in stock at the Tire Rack.

As for the Avon tire, I haven't heard from anyone actually using it, but its price and performance seem to put it into the same category ("budget performance tire", "decent performance at a good price", "bang for the buck") as the Kumho Ecsta 712 rather than Kumho's top-of-the-line Ecsta MX. The Tire Rack tested it against similar budget tires (Yokohama ES100, Fuzion ZRi). I haven't used it, but that would be my guess. Talk to the experts at the Tire Rack (or wherever you're getting your tires) for more information, if you're still interested.

thanks Ken, I was doing a quick math, the 245/45-17 is 8mm larger than the 255/40/17. Didn't thought of having 245/40. but seems like it's 4mm shorter now.

4mm is probably not an issue, especially I don't drive with TCS in all times. Thanks agian. :biggrin:

NSXDreamer2 said:
thanks Ken, I was doing a quick math, the 245/45-17 is 8mm larger than the 255/40/17. Didn't thought of having 245/40. but seems like it's 4mm shorter now.

4mm is probably not an issue, especially I don't drive with TCS in all times.
Probably not. The difference in outer diameter between 245/40-17 and 255/40-17 is 1.2 percent.

What year is your car and what's the front size? Let me know and I can tell you for sure.

NSXDreamer2 said:
It's a 91 and had 215/40/17 wrapped on 17*8 wheels for the fronts.
Hmmm.... That changes the front-to-rear ratios of outer diameters, nominally by 3.6 percent (fronts larger, rears smaller). That should be okay for TCS. It's possible that when the rear tires get worn, if you replaced the front ones with new tires, you might see an occasional flicker in the TCS light... but you probably won't replace the fronts before the rears.

I would just go ahead with the 245/40-17 and not worry about it...

Back