• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Beware of Premier Cars (aka Premier Sportscars)

I see that Premier Cars (aka Premier Sportscars), in Springfield, Missouri has discovered NSX Prime and is now advertising some of their cars here.

I have had a personal buying experience with them that I want to share, so that other NSX owners here know all the facts about them BEFORE potentially doing any business with them. I may be the exception, and Premier may have many satisfied customers (which I'm sure if they respond will tell you about), but I must say that my buying experience with Premier turned into an absolute nightmare.

Here's what happened:

In July 2001 I agreed to purchase a Speed Yellow '98 Porsche C2S from Premier at the cost of $70,500. Like the vast majority of people who I'm told (by Premier) buy cars from them, I purchased it sight unseen based on their verbal/written description (I know, BIG mistake). I was told personally by the salesman, Dick Courtney (who's son, Chris Courtney owns the dealership), that the car was perfect. I am perhaps the most anal person known to man when it comes to my cars, so I really pressed him hard to explain EVERYTHING about the car from top to bottom, to make sure I was getting a top car (since I sure was paying top dollar). I asked VERY VERY detailed questions as to the books and service records, if it had had any paintwork, if it had ever had any sort of accident, the condition of the tires, etc.

Dick told me the car was like new, had never been in any sort of accident, the tires had 3000 miles on them, etc. I even had him write on the Bill of Sale what we discussed, and he used the exact words "Car is in Showroom, all original condition". I know it says that, because I'm looking at it right now as I type this post.

Well...the car is delivered (in a driving rain, no less), and I pull the car in my garage to look at it. Looks nice. I don't drive it because like I said, it's raining cats and dogs. My '91 NSX that just rolled 22,000 miles has NEVER been in the rain, and I sure didn't want to drive my new toy in the rain the first day I got it.

The next morning I get up and drive the car. Bad vibration above 45 mph...really bad. I call Dick to tell him, and he tells me that the car probably just needs the wheels and tires balanced. I tell him I'm leaving on vacation the next morning and when I get back in a week I'll take it into the dealership to have them check it out and fix it (and I tell him that I really think they should take care of the cost to do so).

When I return, I take the car first to a tire shop I use and then to my local Porsche dealership I've done business with for many years. They both tell me something rather startling...3 of the wheels are bent. The Porsche dealership goes on to tell me that the reason the 4th wheel isn't bent is that it has been replaced, and that the entire left rear suspension has also been replaced (left rear control arm, hub, drive axle, fwd. upper link, rwd. upper link). In other words, the car had been killed in the left rear, I believe was their exact statement to me. They go on to tell me that the lower part of the front bumper has been painted. Oh...and one more thing, the rear tires are worn down to the wear bars. Needless to say...I'm furious.

I call Dick and tell him everything, and tell him that I want them to buy back the car and refund my money, since the car was not as represented. Dick passes me on to his son, Chris Courtney (the owner of Premier Cars), and he says they'll replace the wheels and tires, but if I want to make them buy back the car, in his words, he says, "you'll have to sue me". I knew then I was in trouble.

I sure didn't like their response or attitude, but I decided that I needed to at least get a good unbent set of wheels and new tires for the car, so I tell them to send me some, and I will send the bent ones back upon receipt. I'm still very furious, because the car has been in an accident (obviously due to the replaced suspension) and the fact that it had some paintwork. If they were any kind of businessman at all, I felt, they should stand behind their car and should buy it back.

Fast forward...I got the wheels and tires and they were NOT the hollow spokes that originally come on the wide bodied C2S cars. They sent me solid spoke 18" wheels, which are not only far heavier and far less expensive than hollow spokes, but they are just not correct for the car. Period. I sent them back.

Now I'm really mad. I get in my car and drive over to Springfield, pay to spend the night in a hotel, and get up the next morning to speak face to face with Chris Courtney about buying the car back. He tells me right to my face they've done nothing wrong...and furthermore, that I'm just too damn hard to please. I ask him what in the world did I do wrong, except for being stupid enough to buy the car sight unseen from them. After all, I tell him, they sold me a car with bent wheels, worn out rear tires, a car that had paintwork when I was told it didn't have any, and a car that had been in a bad accident. (By the way, I did talk with the original owner's dealership to discuss the car with them after I got it, and the service advisor there mentioned he definitely knew the car, and he told me it had been in an accident, and that it took weeks to fix properly - great...
frown.gif
).

Our discussion did not go well, but Premier did offer to buy the car back, albeit offering me $67,500 to do so (remember, I paid $70,500). I called my lawyer from Springfield and she told me it would probably cost more than the $3000 I'd lose by taking their offer, to successfully sue and win vs. Premier (since we'd have to sue in Missouri vs. in Tennessee), so I took the money...always knowing that if anyone ever asked me about Premier Cars, I could at least relish in the fact that I could tell them this story.

Premier Cars sold me a car that they misrepresented. It was NOT "in Showroom, all original condition". It had been in an accident (I was told it hadn't been). It had paintwork on the front spoiler (I was told it had no paintwork). It had worn out rear tires (when I was specifically told they were good and only had 3000 miles on them). When confronted by the facts (and confirmed by my local Porsche dealership in writing, which I still have), the owner of Premier Cars told me to sue them. Now maybe I'm partially at fault here by not going to look at the car before shelling out over $70k, and I understand that. I'm an idiot. It'll never happen again, believe me. But, there's NO excuse for a dealership to do what they did. To misrepresent a car like that, and then not stand behind it, is inexcusable.

I thought everyone here should know the facts before dealing with Premier Cars.

The END.

I am looking to purchase a '00-'01 Yellow T next year. I am absolutly GRATEFUL to be able to read posts such as these.

Anyone with an experience such as yours needs to speak up.

BTW, could you not sue them for damages, AND court costs? The dealer CLEARLY mis-represented the car. Especially if it is actually written on the invoice.

Dealers like that make me sick. There's no reason or excuse for it.

Dealers make me sick in general.

In your case, a LIE is a LIE. They told you it was in showroom condition and it wasn't.

Crooked dealers like that are bottom dwellers that swim with the likes of crooked lawyers. They're all the same.

My friend in St. Louis had negative things to say about his buying experiance for his NSX about 4 years ago.

No personal experiance but I haven't heard anything positive either.

Your story is extremely compelling and I commend you for speaking up on this forum. I too just got done with a 1 year lawsuit with a dealership in Colorado that sold me a wrecked Mercedes Benz that was cosmetically doctored up for my wife that took me at least $10,000.00 to repair (I am as well anal when it comes to my cars). It amazed me what the owner of the dealership said to me over the phone (*%#$@^#), but considering I am 6,2 262lbs and have a 5-degree black belt, he changed his tune quickly when I arrive to discuss how dishonest they had been.

I'm not a violent man, and considering I got more from the dealership in court by having them pay my court cost, lawyer fees, and of course the repair reimbursement, I’m happy!

I must say, Your experience is unacceptable!!!! I am a dealer who sells most of my cars sight unseen and have a great track record so far.... I have however had a couple of cosmetic flaws that were either missed by me or damage due to transport come up. As a dealer I do believe that it is our job to pony up the dough when it is a small problem and fix it. If you have lied to the guy like in this case, Stay out of the market!!! You give us all a bad name.
I am sorry to hear that dealing with a problem dealer caused you $4k.... As for Premier, Please do us all the coutesy and post your excuse or do you have one!

Mike O
Thanks for the heads up on Premier. I realize that it may not be cost effective to bring a lwasuit against Premier. But the Attorney General's Office in Missouri has a complaint procedure to deal with this situation. Good luck.
http://www.ago.state.mo.us/fraud.htm

I am curious as to why the dealer has not responded.

I too wish to say thanks for posting the story. I have been watching their web site for a blue NSX for 6 months now. (They have two red ones.) However, after reading this I will be removing them from my "watch list". Thanks again.

Mike, you have a great case for grand larceny, they commited a felony, to be exact. Larceny by trickery. Bring that to the local DA and push for criminal charges.

If it was interstate deal.... contact your distict US Attorney.

Beware, you CAN NOT go to them and say " if you dont give me my money back, ill sue you or call the cops" because that is blackmail. Even if they did commit a crime.

Good luck and be careful

Originally posted by Silverarrowcars.com:
I must say, Your experience is unacceptable!!!! I am a dealer who sells most of my cars sight unseen and have a great track record so far.... I have however had a couple of cosmetic flaws that were either missed by me or damage due to transport come up. As a dealer I do believe that it is our job to pony up the dough when it is a small problem and fix it. If you have lied to the guy like in this case, Stay out of the market!!! You give us all a bad name.
I am sorry to hear that dealing with a problem dealer caused you $4k.... As for Premier, Please do us all the coutesy and post your excuse or do you have one!

You should check to see if the passenger door on you 1995 NSX has been repainted.

Silverarrows,
Why?
Maybe because your 25 pictures do not show the passenger side of the car.
Such small pictures, you should give zoom options.

Nice pics though
smile.gif

I love the car.

------------------
--
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- 9k miles
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey - 4k miles
'93 300SE MBZ - 95k miles and running strong :)

Sorry to hear about your experience. I bought a car from these guys and had good luck.

But I am removing my link to their web site from www.nsxuppereast.com because of how you were treated. It just takes one negative experience to ruin a reputation. You would think these high end dealers would know this!!

------------------
Live Free or Die

www.nsxuppereast.com

Mike,

Sorry to hear about your experience, I too would be very bum if it had happened to me. Your posting is very informative, and I'll use the knowledge to carefully pick my next car and stay away from that dealer.

I can see you waiting anxiously for your baby to arrive, having a terrible time sleeping awaiting for the first drive, and to find out what you dish for is not there.

Si

Originally posted by Silverarrowcars.com:
I am not sure why you think the passenger door may be repainted on my car??? Please let me know if you think you are aware of something that I am not. I would be happy to find out.

I remember a new green/tan was sent to Vancouver with the door repainted and the lock was replaced incorrectly. So many greens it probably isn't your car.
Plus you couldn't miss it if you knew what it should look like.

Man...what a disaster!! Used dealers blow. New dealers blow...stick with private sellers that love these cars as much as the buyers. (and private sellers are easier to sue if needs be)

Thanks for all the replies.

My personal opinion is that if Premier Cars "knowingly" sold me the car with these problems, they committed outright fraud. If they "unknowingly" sold me the car with these same problems, they should have made things right by buying it back for what I paid them for the car.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
The legal term is fraud, not larceny.

Yep, your right. I assumed they took the car back and also never refunded the money, which would be larceny. Or if they took money and failed to deliver or return the car would again be larceny. Still, a tricky issue because of the deprivation of property, that being money can be larceny.

The 3 elements can be brought to charge larceny because the money being the property was knowingly being withheld, the other 2 are evident. Lose any one of the 3 elements and you -would- have to try the fraud route.

WOW! Bummer story!
I live just 3 hours from Premier - and i've ALWAYS wanted to make a trip to see what they have.

I have an idea...
start a petition or some sort of a draft stating that you are getting all these people to say they will do every effort to make sure no one they know buys a car from Premier...

Put our responses on it, or our names etc.
Tell Premier you'll get 100 more on top of that if they don't give you your $4000 back and this problem will never go away for them.

It IS total crap for them to falsely represent their vehicle, and it's a crime to take advantage of good honest people such as yourself.

i commend you for coming forward, and this is VERY UNFAIR!

Get as many people as you can to "sign" (yes over the internet, but people to say put my name on there), as people who COULD buy from Premier but will NOT even consider it now, and will tell everyone they know to AVOID the dealership!

If someone did this over my company, i'd resolve it right away! Afterall, they'll sell the car to someone else and it won't hurt them.

BUT THIS will if they ignore it.

Just trying to help ya bro.

That makes me angry even listening to that,especially the "YOU'LL HAVE TO SUE ME CRAP!"
Thats the point I visualize a salesman being thrown through his showroom window out onto the pavement.
smile.gif

And grabbing the $$ out of the drawer exactly $70,500.00 and as I step over his near lifeless body saying "now look at ya'"
I wouldn't of course do this but "It was a thought"
smile.gif

------------------
WWW.MYNSX.COM

Back