• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Big Wheel (19/18) Slow-Down??

I bought a set of stock 15/16s and the accelleration difference is very noticable versus my 17/18 cast wheels. I am not sure of the exact weight difference because my bathroom scale is not that accurate, but am guessing 10 lbs per corner. It isn't just the weight of the wheels, larger tires are alot heaver.

Which do you want more, looks or speed?

It sounds like you might have a touch of the down's (that means you're a retard). Are you just going to ignore the lower effective gear ratio caused by having larger wheels? I guess all those people with Type-R R&Ps wasted their money. BTW, I also think the larger wheel will be slower if you didn't get that either.

you just answered your own question RETARD:
the 4.23 r&p mimics the effect of having SMALLER WHEELS.
this is comical!:biggrin: you just yourself proved that you don't know shit, just another internet expert.

furthermore, read my previous post- larger rim does not mean larger wheel (rim+tire)!
next time you start your bickering at least make sure you know 'something'.
i am done with this pissing contest.

Last edited by a moderator:
you are contradicting yourself yet again. your previous post proves that you are missing the fundamentals completely- my glue is surely better than your air judging by results. i can't wait for the ultimate proof of your intelligence.

there is a huge diff between a larger wheel and larger rim- you are mixing the concepts.
why do you think that by going to a larger rim you are changing the gearing? just look at the oem 16 in rear vs 17 in- same overall dia (thats why we have tires of different sidewall heights), no change in gearing.

you are contradicting yourself yet again.

Haven't contradicted myself once yet, and yet you sure like editing your posts after I reply.

Weren't you supposed to be done with this pissing match 3 posts ago. Well I'm done so you can continue pissing up a rope for all I care.

thats surprising- how do you deal with the itch?

tamaya- sorry for hijacking your tread, i think you did get your answers.

While it is OK to disagree, no need to let it get out of hand fellas. It was worth a chuckle but let's squash it.

Swerve, thanks for making your very good point about wheel diameter (tire + rim). Does anyone know what the wheel diameter for 2002 is (or all years for that matter)?

Also, thanks to everyone that provided feedback based on driver experience of having owned different size wheels. I liked the feedback from jin1976 and ednsx1 even though they are opposing. The link that broinkrist provides is a good little read (comments by goldnsx within the thread are especially good) - however too bad that the test was done with wheels of same size/different weight and not against different size wheels (same mnfg/model).

Last edited:
Something that may have been overlooked in this thread is that the suspension can do its work more effectively with lighter wheels. Again, this is absolutely true, not theory. All things equal, a smaller diameter rim will be lighter than the larger diameter one. So, not only is straight line acceleration surely affected, so is the dynamic handling of the car. Again, can the average guy on Prime feel this, or translate that into better times on the track (or on the street)? I venture to guess no (but it's just a guess).

So I reiterate my suggestion: unless you're looking for the last 10th of performance, buy what looks good to you. And as suggested by others, if you indeed find yourself needing that last 10th, buy a set of track wheels in smaller diameters.

Me myself, I'm 18/18 right now and waiting for 19s for the rear (long story).

J

ARTA_NSX_01.jpg

if bigger wheels slow you down, why do japanese race cars use LARGE DIAMETER wheels as opposed to smaller ones? besides the stiffer sidewalls, why else would they do it?

the japanese race cars use larger wheels because of the balance between tire width they are able to run and combined drive ratio. because the japanese spec'ed series allow major modifications to the cars, there is almost nothing stock about those cars, thus running a 12" rear tire is probably very possible...

you have to remember that these cars are much more powerful, in both hp and torque as compared to a regular nsx. also, i believe they also all use custom sequential transmissions and final drives, thus their gear ratios are completely different.

if you look at almost every nsx, skyline, supra race car, they all use volk te-37's, oz racing wheels, or a similar wheel mainly because these are very light weight and strong wheels for their size.

Something that may have been overlooked in this thread is that the suspension can do its work more effectively with lighter wheels. Again, this is absolutely true, not theory. All things equal, a smaller diameter rim will be lighter than the larger diameter one. So, not only is straight line acceleration surely affected, so is the dynamic handling of the car. Again, can the average guy on Prime feel this, or translate that into better times on the track (or on the street)? I venture to guess no (but it's just a guess).

So I reiterate my suggestion: unless you're looking for the last 10th of performance, buy what looks good to you. And as suggested by others, if you indeed find yourself needing that last 10th, buy a set of track wheels in smaller diameters.

Me myself, I'm 18/18 right now and waiting for 19s for the rear (long story).

J

this is completely true. i am not sure of the singular benefit of lateral acceleration, but acceleration under any condition should be improved with a lighter weight wheel vs a heavier wheel. However, larger wheels generally are wider, thus providing more grip. one point i addressed in the thread i linked above was that breaking performance should drastically improve with a lighter wheel/tire combination. of course, this is determined by the tire width also, but the brakes need to stop the momentum of the car's weight, and the rotational inertia of the wheels.

Last edited:
Haha, this only gets better. I appreciate opposing opinions though. Another post suggests that the slow-down is significant but you say definitely, however by "a bit," which does not sound as bad.

I guess the problem is I haven't driven a stock NSX with stock wheels or better, 17" Volk TE37's (vs my 19/18). Truly, that would be the way to gauge it. Also, I'd love to see what 17" Volk wheels look like (in comparison to what I have now; which I love, the size anyway). The other thing nobody commented on is adjusting the odometer/speedometer to reflect accurate?

Anyway, I welcome further comments or pictures; I think this may be a dilemma many new owners may face, so thanks for the comments -- especially the educated ones.

Tony A.

dude, you have to realize i build our race bikes with 5-8lb CARBON wheels and we spend $4,000 for the TWO wheels! But for us, with "only" 400lb bikes, this weight is HUGE and noticeable! ESPECIALLY handling (duh, think about two wheel rides, gyro at 150mph!) SO when i say 19" wheels make a bit slower...YES on a car they ARE slower, no two ways around it..anytime you add weight it affects accell...however do i think its "huge" or "bad" or even "really noticeable"??? NO! Now if i was tracking my car and had $$$ in suspension/chassis setup/etc i would then worry about it. In fact if i was all about the track, i'd run 17/18 setup for weight AND tire selection. ALSO my 18/19's i had (just sold) were Work Miester 3piece and NOT heavy IMO...best lighter than most cheap cast 17/18's. It depends on WHAT 18/19's your running as well for weight.

My whole point was, yes it DOES affect....how much? Not enough IMO for me to run the smaller 17/18 setup. For me, the looks are well worth what ever small loss in acceleration or handling.

If i was acceleration, ill hop on one of our 195rwhp GSXR1000's....buh bye ANY nsx in the country for roll on's :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
ARTA_NSX_01.jpg

if bigger wheels slow you down, why do japanese race cars use LARGE DIAMETER wheels as opposed to smaller ones? besides the stiffer sidewalls, why else would they do it?

my guess would also be its much easier to make a lighter wheel than tire! our roadrace slicks are much heavier than street tires...load/heat is huge reason. My guess on that car above is they would rather save weight in the wheel than the tire and your right, much stiffer sidewalls (opposite of us motorcycle racers :) )

Don't forget race car have higher power, so BBK would be needed. That explains why they have bigger rims to house those BBK. Btw Formula one car have tall sidewall tire. How do you explain that?

dude, you have to realize i build our race bikes with 5-8lb CARBON wheels and we spend $4,000 for the TWO wheels! But for us, with "only" 400lb bikes, this weight is HUGE and noticeable! ESPECIALLY handling (duh, think about two wheel rides, gyro at 150mph!) SO when i say 19" wheels make a bit slower...YES on a car they ARE slower, no two ways around it..anytime you add weight it affects accell...however do i think its "huge" or "bad" or even "really noticeable"??? NO! Now if i was tracking my car and had $$$ in suspension/chassis setup/etc i would then worry about it. In fact if i was all about the track, i'd run 17/18 setup for weight AND tire selection. ALSO my 18/19's i had (just sold) were Work Miester 3piece and NOT heavy IMO...best lighter than most cheap cast 17/18's. It depends on WHAT 18/19's your running as well for weight.

My whole point was, yes it DOES affect....how much? Not enough IMO for me to run the smaller 17/18 setup. For me, the looks are well worth what ever small loss in acceleration or handling.

If i was acceleration, ill hop on one of our 195rwhp GSXR1000's....buh bye ANY nsx in the country for roll on's :biggrin::biggrin:

No, I didn't know you build race bike but it is good to know; it makes me pay special attention to your comments. That's why I requested for comments from those with a good understanding of wheel dynamics.

So, would you still choose a 19/18 set-up over 17" all-around or 17/6? Does the performance/handling loss still remain small enough to not justify sacrificing a better looking, bigger diameter wheel?

Last edited:
No, I didn't know you build race bike but it is good to know; it makes me pay special attention to your comments. That's why I requested for comments from those with a good understanding of wheel dynamics.

So, would you still choose a 19/18 set-up over 17" all-around or 17/6? Does the performance/handling loss still remain small enough to not justify sacrificing a better looking, bigger diameter wheel?

for tracking my NSX, i would do 17" cause 1. that is big enough to clear the BBK's, 2. the 17" tire selection for race tires is WAY better and 3. yes, they are a bit lighter and the unsprung weight is more important to me than acceleration weight.

Like i said, my NSX is a garage queen that i pleasure drive on sunny days when im not on the road at a race, so the 18/19 is 100% for looks for me. The NSX is fast enough on the street, so a few hp down due to 19" rears is not an issue...like i said, i got 200mph all day long (well, ok, i am strapped to a dyno thou :D )

Get the wheels you want for looks on the street IMO.

Don't forget race car have higher power, so BBK would be needed. That explains why they have bigger rims to house those BBK. Btw Formula one car have tall sidewall tire. How do you explain that?

Yeah, good point. F1 run the huge sidewall tire for REDUCED SPEED! PERIOD! If they were allowed NO rules on tires/wheels they would be running 17-19" wheels and WIDEEEEEEE tires and very little sidewall IMO. The larger sidewall does help with slip angle though....as i found out on a cold day with low profile 19" on my 91 nsx back about 7 years ago...man once that back end steps out....she goes...and goes fast!!! Had i had a HUGE rolly sidewall like maybe oem rears, i might have actually saved the spin, since it would not have "snapped" over so fast.

Great feedback, thanks!

Now, that I've owned the car a bit longer, I've allowed my right foot to flex a little more and for the street, the bigger wheels are really not that bad (acceleration-wise) and they look great.

However, this past weekend I went to Palms Springs (from Orange County) and ohhh maaan, that ride was b-u-m-p-y lol. On the perfect roads, I loved it but on the not-so-perfection parts I felt like those little wind-up toys with the two feet where the jaw chatters cha-cha-cha-cha-cha!

Back