• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Big Wheel (19/18) Slow-Down??

Tony,

It is very simple

18,19 is for looks...I have a set also

17,18s is pretty has the looks and speed still...I have a set also and running on now.

17,17s is stock size with performance, but do not look as nice as 17,18s in my opinion. (except for oems or type-r wheels)

15,16s....mucho accerlation, but looks like crap....I have a set also

If it was me I would get a 17,18 combo and call it a day.

E

Tony,

It is very simple

18,19 is for looks...I have a set also

17,18s is pretty has the looks and speed still...I have a set also and running on now.

17,17s is stock size with performance, but do not look as nice as 17,18s in my opinion. (except for oems or type-r wheels)

15,16s....mucho accerlation, but looks like crap....I have a set also

If it was me I would get a 17,18 combo and call it a day.

E

Well said!! Oh well, I guess the scientific chatter I spun off was interesting anyway. Why didn't I just ask you? I should have known you would have a second, third, fourth set of everything!

I just went down to 17/18's from 18/19's and what a difference in ride and feel. Quieter and smoother ride. They are 5 spoke wheels, don't know what brand, but they are definitely much lighter than my old setup. All black too, so now I think I'm gonna go with the murdered out look and keep the car black. I had plans on painting it Championship White.

I just went down to 17/18's from 18/19's and what a difference in ride and feel. Quieter and smoother ride. They are 5 spoke wheels, don't know what brand, but they are definitely much lighter than my old setup. All black too, so now I think I'm gonna go with the murdered out look and keep the car black. I had plans on painting it Championship White.

That has become the next issue, ride and feel. In a previous post I said I took a ride to Palm Springs from OC and it sucked. Granted, most of my driving is around town and doesn't make much of a difference but it sure would be nice to know I can take a 1 or 2 hr drive somewhere without worrying about the condition of the road all the way there.

I went to the last meet in So Cal and saw some 19/18's (looked nice, just like mine) but also saw some 18/17's and they looked pretty good (not as nice as the bigger size but still nice enough). Any smaller sizes were just not my cup of tea, not at all.

1. What could I sell my 19/18 Volk TE37 wheels for (black with yellow lip) with Continental 215 & 275' tires?
2. How much would a 18/17 used set with tires cost me (same style); I just saw a set of Volk CE28N Time Attacks (black with red lip) and tires go for $2800 used.
3. What's it cost to powder coat wheels?

If weight is the issue (and money not) than i would recommend going with carbon magnesium or full magnesium wheels. (carbon magnesium is the lightest)

Carbon magnesium wheels:
19x10 14 lbs
20x12.5 17.5lbs

The advantages of performance are obvious (better handling, better acceleration, better fuel economy)

You could go for a larger diameter (stiffer tire walls) and better rotor clearance and cooling (BBK) with out adding weight.

That has become the next issue, ride and feel. In a previous post I said I took a ride to Palm Springs from OC and it sucked. Granted, most of my driving is around town and doesn't make much of a difference but it sure would be nice to know I can take a 1 or 2 hr drive somewhere without worrying about the condition of the road all the way there.

I went to the last meet in So Cal and saw some 19/18's (looked nice, just like mine) but also saw some 18/17's and they looked pretty good (not as nice as the bigger size but still nice enough). Any smaller sizes were just not my cup of tea, not at all.

1. What could I sell my 19/18 Volk TE37 wheels for (black with yellow lip) with Continental 215 & 275' tires?
2. How much would a 18/17 used set with tires cost me (same style); I just saw a set of Volk CE28N Time Attacks (black with red lip) and tires go for $2800 used.
3. What's it cost to powder coat wheels?

it will cost you 300-400 to get them powdercoated.
as far as the comfort goes, if you use 18/19 then the tire sidewall will have to be smaller than oem or 17/18 to stay within the oem overall wheel diameter thus yelding a jarring ride on all but the smooth roads. it will get worse if you have stiffer suspension, obviously.

Back