• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Block Heater/Pre-Oiler

As you all know, car engines incurr most of their wear,40-80%, until they warm up. To limit this wear many people install (1) pre-oilers and (2) engine heaters.

Has anybody installed any of these and what are your comments/suggestions re types, brands, efficacy?

Aucura sells a engine heater for the NSX which list for $59. There are several types of pre-oilers: pumps like www.pre-luber.com and pressure type like www.accusump.com.

ICBW, but I thought the big need for engine block heaters was to be able to start the engine in frigid temperatures. Based on my experience here, they may be handy when it gets colder than 20 degrees below zero F. I wouldn't worry about getting one if I lived somewhere where it rarely drops below zero.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
ICBW, but I thought the big need for engine block heaters was to be able to start the engine in frigid temperatures
I think you're right -- they are a "recommended option" in Canada and other markets with cold average temps.

Personally haven't seen one on a US NSX, but our good fargo-naut friends in Fargo ND might beg to differ
biggrin.gif

Manuel
- looking at a move back to Chicago from sunny Florida

------------------
Manuel C
www.geocities.com/mcantoria/mc-toys.html

sig-front-top-100h.jpg
sig-left-front-100h.jpg
sig-rear-100h.jpg

Originally posted by Edmondlll:
As you all know, car engines incurr most of their wear,40-80%, until they warm up. To limit this wear many people install (1) pre-oilers and (2) engine heaters.

Has anybody installed any of these and what are your comments/suggestions re types, brands, efficacy?

All Canadian NSX come with block heaters installed of course. Since it is always better to have a warm engine and minimize wear I use mine ALL YEAR. I have a timer which turns it on 4 hrs before starting in winter, and about 1 hour in summer. The engine always starts with a smooth, pleased, 'purr'! I highly recommend that, unless you live in the real southern US you install one. Heck, even there---a cold engine is an unhappy engine! KIWICanuck

Originally posted by Edmondlll:

All Canadian NSX come with block heaters installed of course. Since it is always better to have a warm engine and minimize wear I use mine ALL YEAR. I have a timer which turns it on 4 hrs before starting in winter, and about 1 hour in summer. The engine always starts with a smooth, pleased, 'purr'! I highly recommend that, unless you live in the real southern US you install one. Heck, even there---a cold engine is an unhappy engine! KIWICanuck

All Canadian NSX come with block heaters installed of course.

Not true - but I assume you're just kidding.

I don't have a block heater and I don't live in the real southern United States, and mine always starts with a smooth, pleased purr too.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
All Canadian NSX come with block heaters installed of course.

Not true - but I assume you're just kidding.

I don't have a block heater and I don't live in the real southern United States, and mine always starts with a smooth, pleased purr too.

Let's see what we have established. There are apparently some foolish Canadian dealers in the Ontario and BC provinces who do NOT fit block-heaters. And some owners of those cars, living in parts of the US which are quite cold in winter, are proudly saying that they do not need them! Well Chicago-mate, I would not start an un-heated-garaged Chicago-NSX on a cold winter day. You mistake an NSX 'purr' for a quiet 'snarl'. The responders to my memo, who jumped all over my thoughtful piece, SIMPLY because some Canadian NSXs do not have block heaters, are missing the obvious point as to the value of a WARM engine. And are being a little stupid---- Cheers KIWICanuck

Or maybe you are missing the point and are overstating the benefits of an engine being warm when starting. Have you ever considered that perhaps others might not share your opinion? Have you also considered that many owners don't start their cars in the winter?

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 30 January 2002).]

I agree with you KIWIManson, thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to get an install a block heater and use it somewhat like you. Why start a cold engine and suffer more wear when you can start a warm one. Fact, not fiction. The engine preluber also prevents wear, and I would think that it would be expecially good to use in engines sitting for long periods. Again, this also is a fact.

Sorry for not coming to your aid. It seem we don't have much support. I wonder, is it because people don't know, don't care, or something else?

BTW, a block heater was one of the things recommended in a book titled something like: How to Keep Your Car Forever. Something I try to do.

Does anyone out there dispute my original premise that a cold engine suffers 40to 80% of its wear until warmed up. Thus, why not use a block heater and engine prelube?

Certainly it will reduce wear on the engine to always start it relatively warm and use a pre-oiler. And I yes most wear typically occurs at cold start up when the oil is in the pan and not the engine. Go for it!

What operating temperature ranges does the block heater provide appreciable benefits? IMO this needs to be offset with the useful operating temps for the TIRES you plan to drive the car with.

The engine starting fine at 20F (with heater) is all goodness, but most high performance tires grip degrades below 35-40F.

Maybe it's just me and I'm unorganized but rarely do I know 4 hours before I'm going to take out my NSX in winter and certainly in the summer I wouldn't be able to plan one hour ahead.
smile.gif
When I want to drive it, I just get in and go.

Kenric

Back