• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BMW X5 reviews/opinions looking to buy one

Looking at buying a 2004/2005 BMW X5 4.4. 2004 is the updated version that has more power and gets better gas milage. Fuel ecomomy went from 14/18 to 16/22 with the new valvetronic engine.

Any opinions from previous owners?

A little about us, we are looking for a unibody SUV (prefer the ride) but one that can tow our boat (4000lbs). So basically a couple of choices. BMW x5/vw touareg or a MDX. Of course the germans have V8's and higher tow ratings, but the MDX has better fuel ecomomy and probably more reliable.

I highly recomend the new Acura MDX. It's tow rating is 5k. 300hp/275tq. A new one should be more reliable than a 3 year old X5. A new one without nav starts around 41k sticker and goes up to almost 49k sticker. The 08's will be out in about 3 months so you should be able to get a deal on an 07 soon. Not sure what price range you're staying in or time frame you have though.

Looking to spend 30k range, so the new MDX out of the price range. So we are looking at an similar age MDX.

I see. The previous MDX wouldn't meet your towing requirements. It would have to be 07.

The previous MDX is rated at 4500 lbs for towing a boat. Unlike other makes this was also rated considering 4 adults in the truck. Basically comparable to a 5000 lb rating from other makes.

I have had both an X-5 4.4 and a Touareg v8. I really thought the X-5 was pretty good. I had a very limited amount of problems. The Touareg was very nice as well but spent a lot of time in the shop. Currently for an SUV we have a Cayenne S, that is the best out of the SUV bunch to date.

Have heard the same things about the problems with the Touareg, wondering how much better the Cayenne is as isn't is mostly the same vehicle.

Also any opinions on the Range Rover (04 range)? Seems uses same BMW engine but wondering on the reliability of it.

Best bet for fuel economy and reliabillity is the MDX in my opinion.

Ranger Rover have the same reliability issues at the Touareg -- definitley buy an extended warranty with either of those vehicles. I've had both a V8 Touareg and an '03 Ranger Rover (1st year of newer style).

Back