• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Braking anomoly

I own a 1993 5 speed with 22,500 miles. The problem is an intermitent pull to the left upon brake application. It only occurs once in approximately ten applications. The pads have been inspected and are O.K. There is no chatter indicating rotor warpage. The pull is quite violent when it occurs and cant be anticipated. I thought I would submit this problem to the expertise within this forum before letting the dealership run wild with their diagnostic imaginations. Thanks guys for your great input. Mark

Originally posted by nsxhale:
The problem is an intermitent pull to the left upon brake application. It only occurs once in approximately ten applications. The pads have been inspected and are O.K.
I had this happen on the track one weekend... turns out that my INSIDE LEFT REAR pads were worn down (at the backing plate), enough to score and damage the rotor.
Rotors are $$$, pads are cheap.

Rotors aren't that expensive, but I agree that pads are the first thing to check.

It's also possible that one of the calipers is sticking and needs lubrication. (Which can also be a cause for one pad to wear quicker than the other.)

This should be relatively routine for the dealer to track down.

I would also submit that this is similar to a problem I had and it was air in the antilock brake mechanism. Maybe you should have this bled at the dealer with their special bleeder tool. It was a stange thing and I was suprized the solution was so simple.

Worth a try especially if there has been and brake fluid change done, even if not recently. It took 8 months for my problem to show up after the brake fluid change.

Bill

Also, see if it's happening consistently in the same place(s) that you drive. Sometimes a rut or crown on the road will make the car pull quite violently under braking.

-Mike

Manuel --

I have replacement rotors that are compatible with the RM kit, available in cross drilled and slotted.

I also have a set of Hawk RPS pads, new, complete set for the RM and ScienceofSpeed big brake kits. I'll sell to you for 50% off the price new.

I suggest anyone looking for replacement pads for their stock brakes to take a look at the Panther Plus compound from Carbotech. The pad performs far better than any of the 6+ compounds I've tried. I don't sell Carbotech, so there is no vested interest in promoting these.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

Agree with the others here...check the pads first. Then check the caliper for proper functioning. Lastly, bleed your brakes:

After a day at the track --> clockwise track --> trailbraking --> boiled fluid marginally on front left caliper but not (as much) on front right caliper --> car pulls to right side under braking because air in left caliper compresses and doesn't clamp as hard on pads as the right caliper, which doesn't have (as much) air in it.

Good luck! -Andie

Originally posted by grippgoat:
Also, see if it's happening consistently in the same place(s) that you drive. Sometimes a rut or crown on the road will make the car pull quite violently under braking.

-Mike

There is this one stoplight where the car always pulls violently to the right. At first I thought something was wrong but it is a road with a bad rut.

There is this one stoplight where the car always pulls violently to the right.

Must be the one at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
biggrin.gif

Back